U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 04:03 PM

2 posts, read 15,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
As a person that had or has family in Detroit and attended MSU for 3 years, I definately was disappointed in how people of different races and even from different types of cities interact and/or should I say don't interact with each other. I think a lot of it is a two way street too. Then, when I heard from a professor during my time at MSU that it was supposedly one of the most segregated campuses in the US, I was not surprised at all. I had a diverse group of friends there, but most of them were from out of state, like myself, foreign students or were White guys and girls from Midland, Stevensville, Ishpeming and Dowagiac. I did meet some White people from Brighton, South Lyon, Livonia, Bloomfield Hills and Sterling Heights that were cool too. Same with Black people that lived in Detroit, Oak Park and Inkster. it seems like people haven't gotten over things from the past around there, but maybe most of the people just "stay in their lanes" now too.
I think about the only place white and blacks interact around here, generally speaking, is in the workplace. And maybe more in the inner ring suburbs like Hazel Park and Oak Park, Southfield ect. But even then it's more like they just co-exist peacefully without much interaction.

I'm not from here so it's been something, sadly, that I've had to get used to!! But at least we can co-exist peacefully, for the most part...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 04:11 PM

60,585 posts, read 85,710,425 times
Personally, the parts of that area that I think I would live in are: the Farmington area, Ann Arbor and maybe a few other communities. If other groups decide to move into Detroit, I think it would have to be in bunches and either through gentrification or immigration. For instance, in some Upstate NY cities, we have large scale immigration from certain places to certain cities. Schenectady gets a lot of Guyanese and Utica gets a lot of Bosnians. Binghamton gets quite a few Vietnamese and so on. Something like that would have to happen to Detroit first in order for other groups to move there, in my opinion.

Old 08-08-2008, 06:19 PM

866 posts, read 3,879,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Personally, the parts of that area that I think I would live in are: the Farmington area, Ann Arbor and maybe a few other communities. If other groups decide to move into Detroit, I think it would have to be in bunches and either through gentrification or immigration. For instance, in some Upstate NY cities, we have large scale immigration from certain places to certain cities. Schenectady gets a lot of Guyanese and Utica gets a lot of Bosnians. Binghamton gets quite a few Vietnamese and so on. Something like that would have to happen to Detroit first in order for other groups to move there, in my opinion.
What you are talking about is already happening, it is just not happening in the City of Detroit it is happening in the suburbs. For instance, there are suburban cities such as Troy, Novi, and Canton that are very attractive to Asian immigrants such as the Chinese, Japanese, Koreans, and Indians. There are many other suburbs that have this affect also.

The reason why it is not Detroit, is because Detroit is not attractive, many of it neighborhoods are declining and have been for years and the city is 82% Black. The newly planted Asian immigrants looking at metro Detroit would rather mix in with whites which is what they have done, instead of moving into black neighborhoods in Detroit.

Another huge reason for Asian immigration to these suburbs is because of the quality of the schools. Asians want their children educated, and they know that this will not be done in Detroit Public Schools.

Old 08-08-2008, 06:40 PM

3,119 posts, read 7,308,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake85 View Post
I'm just curious. Why is there very little race diversity and about 10% of Detroit is White/Caucasian? Is it really cheap? I know a lot of cars are built in Detroit and I think would any other races besides Black or White would be unwelcomed and treated very badly? I saw on some of the threads that a lot of people there are racist. Sounds like it! What's the main reason why there are SO many African Americans in Detroit?
Are you certain that it's all about racism and not a desire for self preservation and a higher quality of life on the part of the white people who don't live in the city? A great many black families flee the city for those very same, perfectly legitimate reasons.

Old 08-08-2008, 09:38 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,299,329 times
I agree with dre71 is this respect - black people are no better than white folks - they can be just as prejudiced.

I disagree with dre71 about their being no whites. In those neighborhoods I mentioned, there are plenty of whites. Visit them sometime.

Warrendale is centered around Southfield Freeway/Greenfield/Evergreen and Warren Avenue.

Brightmoor is centered around Evergreen/Fenkell/Burt/Lahser. Five Points is west of Telegraph, north of Puritan.

Parkland is north of Warren and west of West Order Drive

The Villages are centered around East Jefferson and Van Dyke.

Go check them out if you dare!

ALSO

I do not know why dre71 called Detroit "my city". You have abandoned it. How can it be your city? If you lived in a bad neighborhood, then you could have moved to a better one. NOt All Detroit neighborhoods are brimming with crime and decay.

Siberia - Mayor Kilpatrick has never stated anything public about keeping Detroit a chocolate city. Mr. Nagin did.

Johnson7 - I read a couple of years ago that Indian Village is 54% black and 43% white. With the recent migration of white folks back to the historical neighborhoods that are close to downtown, I am finding it hard to believe that a white family got their house firebombed over there.

Old 08-08-2008, 09:50 PM

214 posts, read 997,586 times
Actually it is true true I searched for it and found the story. Google Arson uproots detroit family it is the first one at american reniassance.com. This rasict conservative site is atupid but it shows the story. Mayor kilpatrick didn`t say that stuff but he implys it alot like the suburbs want to take our city back (meaning whites) and he said the jury is too white, and stuff. The neighborhoods you mentioned have a few more whites but they are leaving believe me whites feel very uncomfortable in detroit. Yuppie wannabes try to fit in but they all learn the hard way then they shut up about how great it is in detroit.

Old 08-08-2008, 10:37 PM

271 posts, read 862,789 times
Below is what angers white folks concerning Detroit, how anyone, black, white, green, or whatever color, could back a mayor of such corruption that has made Detroit a laughing stock for the entire globe. Below is the reaction from the mayors staff ater going to jail over new felony accounts:

staffers gave the mayor a "rousing" round of applause....

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080808/METRO/808080444 (broken link)

Remember watching TV after 911, and seeing people in foreign countries dancing and celebrating the attacks...why did they do that???....Brainwashed, crazy, or simply emotionally backing their "own" without using their God given brains? Same questions arise about Detroit over the mayor scams...

Old 08-08-2008, 11:17 PM

214 posts, read 997,586 times
Well to answer about whites in those neighborhoods there are few mostly seniors stuck there. Look at all the schools around those neighborhoods you posted they are at least 96-99% black mostly poor just carver in warrendale carver elementary had 75% black and mixed the rest. Around lonyo and michigan still has some whites I dont know if there majority there today but still enough. Whites stick out in detroit they will not take any neighborhoods back whether it be downtown or close to it or whatever they are done they hate giving taxes to detroit. And detroit will always be "my city" cause it is I maybe could have moved in the city but with crime, decay, theft, taxes, insurance,etc. I bet if you offered detroits money to leave about 60% or more would take that offer. I knew alot of people who hated it.

Old 08-09-2008, 09:31 PM

363 posts, read 656,786 times

I am new to this area also and it's been very hard to get used to the extreme racial polarization...I am from the Quad Cities (metro area in Iowa & Illinois), and the relationship between races was so much better.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:22 AM

438 posts, read 1,144,674 times
Growing up in Chicago I thought it was a fairly segregated city. But Detroit just takes segregation and racial tension to a new level. Detroits needs some new leadership that can revitalize the city and hopefully calm some of the tension. Kwame just creates more racial strife it seems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or