Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 07:34 PM

93,239 posts, read 123,876,708 times

Advertisements

Yeah, this is sad. Detroit has issues they should have dealt with a long time ago. To be honest, this seems to be the case with cities like Flint and Saginaw too, but not as extreme as Detroit. Actually, I remeber reading the MUS newspaper the State News in the mid 90's that said that Detroit, Flint and saginaw were in the top 5 for the most segregated cities in the United States. Milwaukee and Buffalo(which surprises me) were the other two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 07:40 PM

1,286 posts, read 2,916,351 times
fyi that guy with $200 million was the founder of dominos pizza whos HQ is in ann arbor. he took his money to florida and is now developing a 5600 acre community with its own zip code with a catholic church in the center of town and everything else is built around it. its kind of interesting. it also has a fully funded university already.

Ave Maria: Naples, Florida

kind of nice detroit passed on that, so that this nice community could be developed next to the 2nd wealthiest city per capita in the world.

Old 08-14-2008, 09:12 PM

262 posts, read 788,038 times
I would say with what is going on in the city there has to be a meeting of the minds, and it seems like it's all about ATTITUDE, I think if they all could loss it, things might work beter, It's like watching a bunch of kids

Old 08-15-2008, 01:54 PM

225 posts, read 818,002 times
Quote:
fyi that guy with $200 million was the founder of dominos pizza whos HQ is in ann arbor.
No it wasn't. It was Robert Thompson. The guy who made many of his employees millionaires when he sold his paving company and gave long-time employees checks for between one and two million dollars each. He made a $200 million offer to the City of Detroit and was rebuffed amid accusations of racism and suburban meddling.

Google "Robert Thompson" "Detroit" and "Paving" "Schools" and "Racism" and you'll find the articles. I don't think Monahan was rebuffed with a $200 million offer for public education in Detroit. I believe he was turned down when he planned to open the Ave Maria Catholic law school in Lansing.

Old 01-01-2009, 01:28 AM

542 posts, read 1,449,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dre71 View Post
that youtube vvideo makes sence he might be right. But about the drug deals and black on black crime and whites shouldn`t worry is wrong. They better worry being the only white in the neighborhood they will be attacked. Imagine being a new white to the city and walking along the streets in linwood, joy ,fenkell you think they wont do anything seeing you. And alot of detroit crime is random too not everybody seells drugs but they still get shot.
this is why white people don't move to detroit

Old 01-01-2009, 01:34 AM

542 posts, read 1,449,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dre71 View Post
Jamesandveybe: Your right again people like to be around their own. I dont blame whites for not wanting to live in our neighborhoods. Dexterguy it is amazing how they gotta put that in the news it just shows how little the white population is in detroit that its a story. Most whites in detroit are old anyways with nowhere else to go . Chkthankgod Well i think white people have moved on not blacks. If a black family moves to a white neighborhood they wil be welcomed. If whites move to a black neighborhood the wont last believe me even yuppies. Remember that story on fox news with the white kid and 7 or 8 out of state friends were beaten badly downtown for being white. He ignored what he heard about detroit and tried to fit in with people who hated him for no reason and he got hurt. To complain about racism is a big was of time and energy.
i agree with this statement completely. dre will you please tell this to al sharpton and jessie jackson. they think the white man is the devil.

Old 01-01-2009, 08:03 PM

214 posts, read 1,061,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renter8319 View Post
i agree with this statement completely. dre will you please tell this to al sharpton and jessie jackson. they think the white man is the devil.
Thanks, I always wondered were are these two are when in the black community there is so many problems? They don`t care.

Jackson and Sharpton have no credibility as the experts on injustice and intolerance.

Old 01-02-2009, 07:12 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,757,354 times
I can't understand why of all the cities in the USA, Detroit has to be stuck in its racist, fearful BS, 50 years behind everyone else.

Old 01-02-2009, 07:37 AM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,789 posts, read 4,153,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake85 View Post
I'm just curious. Why is there very little race diversity and about 10% of Detroit is White/Caucasian? Is it really cheap? I know a lot of cars are built in Detroit and I think would any other races besides Black or White would be unwelcomed and treated very badly? I saw on some of the threads that a lot of people there are racist. Sounds like it! What's the main reason why there are SO many African Americans in Detroit?
You are correct about the racism.. many of the blacks there are racist against whites. The black crime, trashing of the city, and bad schools gradually drove most of the whites out.
The same "white flight" pattern that has happened in other major cities. Whites will only put up with so much nonsense, and having their families and property at risk, and then they will move on to greener pastures.
Can you blame them?

Old 01-02-2009, 02:53 PM

6 posts, read 36,365 times
Post Race and Inequality in Urban Detroit

Thomas Sugrue, a historian who was born in Detroit and now teaches at U. Penn in Philadelphia, wrote an incredible analysis of race, inequality, and spatial segregation in 20th century Detroit.

His historical research of Detroit archives, census statistics, government documents, maps, workplace studies, and memoirs emphasizes structural explanations for the unequal distribution of power and resources in post-WW2 Detroit, instead of conventional arguments about behavior and values of the poor:

"The completeness of racial segregation made ghettoization seem an inevitable, natural consequence of profound racial differences. The barriers that kept blacks confined to racially isolated, deteriorating, inner-city neighborhoods were largely invisible to white Detroiters. To the majority of untutored white observers, visible poverty, overcrowding, and deteriorating houses were signs of individual moral deficiencies, not manifestations of structural inequalities" (p. 9).

You can read the introduction to his book The Origins of the Urban Crisis here: Sugrue, T.J.: The Origins of the Urban Crisis: Race and Inequality in Postwar Detroit.

And here's a link to an interview he gave in 2005:
Metro Times - News+Views: Unconventional wisdom
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit