Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2008, 03:35 PM

156 posts, read 467,137 times

Advertisements

Am I crazy? No, I just moved from Texas after owning my house for several years to come here and live in a rental -transition home and throw my money down the drain for a year. I'm thinking of buying a brand spanking new home in Macomb-Beaufait Farms subdivision. The sub is located in the south side of 21 Mile Road between Card and North Avenue in Macomb Township. Are the property taxes really high in this area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 07:21 PM

866 posts, read 4,241,905 times
A friend of mine lives in Macomb Twp and where he lives he says the taxes are okay but he does not live in a huge house either, he has a one story new home with a finished basement. Macomb Twp taxes I hear as a whole are good.

Macomb Twp is a good area to buy a home right now, at least one of the best in metro Detroit because it is a growing area and it is easier to re-sell houses in Macomb Twp than in many other suburbs.

Old 08-11-2008, 02:43 PM

30,701 posts, read 79,330,237 times
A new home may not be a great idea right now. Previously owned homes are selling for incredibly low prices. Why pay a premium for a new home when you can save hundreds of thousands by buying a home that is a few years (or a lot of years) old?

New homes often have a lot of bugs to work out of them a home that has been around for a while often has the problems expposed and resolved. On the other hand, with a new home, you can often get the builder to come back anad correct any problems that arise. A tleast you can witha good builder. Just something to think about.

Old 08-12-2008, 07:46 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,032,315 times
You're making a big gamble that housing prices won't depreciate any further. The Detroit area's economy and the state's economy isn't going to improve any time soon and if anything, the area will just continue to lose population.

Old 08-15-2008, 03:03 AM

214 posts, read 722,044 times
Do not buy a home. Your just entering into a contract of continuing depreciation.

Old 08-15-2008, 07:22 PM

156 posts, read 467,137 times
Thanks for the input...yeah, I was lucky to sell my house so fast. I am also looking at newer homes for sale not just brand new homes. Right now, we are spoiled in that we want the big bathrooms/kitchens/bedrooms that we are used to getting in Texas. I figure I will be here long enough to take the hit, if not, my job will buy me out. We just have a real problem with renting...where does the money go...what does it do for us...nothing. But, then again I know some homeowners could say the very same thing. I'm one of those people that try to be more optimistic rather than realistic at times...the friends are working on changing our minds about buying in this area. We are starting to listen.

Old 08-17-2008, 07:09 PM

12 posts, read 39,777 times
Where the does money go if your home depreciates? Let's say all the sudden detroit metro turns around, what appreciation will you get, maybe 3% a year? You can get that in a CD. So it is not worth it to put money into a home unless you are planning to stay years and years. you can put your money for the downpayment somewhere else, and not have the hassle of selling a home when you move.

I think his post might have been a joke though, movung from dallas to detroit and asking about buying a home, seems like a joke.

Old 08-18-2008, 02:21 PM

62 posts, read 180,426 times
After owning here for 10yrs and now finding out our house is only worth what we paid (or less) 10yrs ago, I would highly suggest you not buy. Not right now.

We currently have 18-24mo of inventory and values are not going up. Wait it out a bit before making that decision.

Even friends of ours that bought on a great deal last year are seeing their values drop. It's unfortunate, but a reality. The auto companies are not done with their downturn and the suppliers are now feeling the heat. Regardless of whether you are tied to automotive or not, this will eventually effect our home values as we see more foreclosures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
View detailed profiles of: