Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2008, 03:23 PM

2 posts, read 2,925 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

My in-laws, husband and I (and our 10 year old daughter) are relocating to Detroit at the end of this year from Miami FL. His family purchased the St. John Cantius church in Delray (my father in law is a bishop) and we plan on living in the rectory of the church and hopefully getting the church back up and running the way it used to be.

I've done alot of research online and I'm discovering that the neighborhood sorrounding the church is not the best (trying to remain positive!) but I wanted some advice from the locals about a few things:

1. Are there any good schools in this area of Delray? Elementary schools for my daughter, but also colleges for myself?

2. Is the crime really bad in that area?

3. Am I out of my mind to move my 10 year old from Miami to Detroit?

Again, I know that Detroit and Miami are night and day, and this will be a big change for all of us, but if there's a true possibility that this is not a safe move for my daughter, we will not be relocating with my inlaws.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 03:41 PM

214 posts, read 1,061,560 times
1.Yes
2.Yes
3.Yes
Thats a bad neighborhood mostly vacant lots and empty houses I advice you to look somewhere else maybe downriver.

Old 08-12-2008, 08:32 AM

866 posts, read 4,258,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eves View Post

1. Are there any good schools in this area of Delray? Elementary schools for my daughter, but also colleges for myself?

2. Is the crime really bad in that area?

3. Am I out of my mind to move my 10 year old from Miami to Detroit?
1. No, Delray is a very poor area. The homes still there are falling and rotting down. Your daughter WILL NOT be safe here, I do not know the specific schools in that area but Detroit Public Schools as a whole are not good.

2. Yes, many of the houses are either used for drugs or burned out. Last time I drove through there in 2005 it was bad so I can just imagine the way it looks today.

3. I don't think that you are out of your mind to move the METRO Detroit if you can get a job over here. But do not move to the Delray neighborhood.

If you are interested in moving to metro Detroit and you are "Lower income" you can look into other areas of Detroit that are safer and are better for a 10 year child to grow up in.

DETROIT -
*Some west side neighborhoods are still in good condition
*Corktown
*Roseville Park
* Boston-Edison

AFFORDABLE SUBURBS -
*HAMTRAMCK
*REDFORD
*DEARBORN
*SOUTHFIELD
*LATHRUP VILLAGE
*FARMINGTON HILLS

I would totally avoid the city of Detroit, the services that you will get from the city are poor and its schools are in decline. If you want good education for your daughter look to the suburbs that I have mentioned. They are not the most prestige suburbs, but can be afforded by a working family.

Old 08-12-2008, 11:59 AM

422 posts, read 759,073 times
Isn't Delray the neighborhood (what's left of it), that's going to be plowed over for the new bridge to Canada?

Hey look, nothing wrong with moving to Detroit. I'm moving there myself in June for a job. But Delray is one of the worst parts of Detroit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit