U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 07:34 PM

107 posts, read 434,786 times

Advertisements

Anyone here used to live (or currently live) in this once fine area of the city of Detroit. I hope to include a few photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Grand River & Greenfield-federals.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2008, 06:57 AM

6 posts, read 26,469 times
I don't live there, but I visit quite often. There is a bridge that goes over that street now.

Old 08-16-2008, 07:05 AM

56 posts, read 246,434 times
Oh thank you for the trip down memory lane. Seeing Wards and Federals really brings back fond memories of shopping there with my Mom and Grandma. As a teenager I hung out at the Big Boys there and spent many a night driving up and down Grand River. I hope someone else has pictures of Detroit back when it was the greatest place to grow up in. I am a product of Detroit Public Schools and remember when they were excellent schools.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:50 AM

107 posts, read 434,786 times
Here's Hughes and Hatcher from there.
Attached Thumbnails
Grand River & Greenfield-hughes-hatcher.jpg  

Old 08-20-2008, 03:13 PM

2 posts, read 11,697 times
Default Rosedale Park

I use to live in that area about 3 yrs ago but closer to Southfield Fwy off Grand River in Rosedale Pk on Lancashire. It was and as far as i know still is a beautiful family orientated area. Unfortunately, and sad to say it is in the Detroit School District which we all know (if you're from Detroit) it's not ****!!

Old 08-20-2008, 05:55 PM

3,681 posts, read 5,675,238 times
Thanks for the memories! I grew up in that neighborhood many years ago and have many fond memories of the Grand River/Greenfield shopping area. I wonder if anyone else remembers the J.S. Penny Back-to-School Movies, where all the kids lined up in the parking lot behind the store and marched down to the Great Lakes Movie Theater to see a free matinee compliments of Penny's? How about the walk-through between Monkey Wards and Kresge's 5 & 10 cent store - I remember they had some kind of wax mold making machine where you paid a quarter and watched a wax toy being made. Or how about the donut making machine at the back of Kresge's or the soda fountain counter where you could throw a dart to pop a balloon and hope to win a free coke or banana split? And how about Robert Hall, "where the savings go up, up, up and the prices go down, down, down!" BTW, anyone interested in seeing more old time photos, should try checking out classmates.com site. I have found some amazing photos of my old schools as well as the movie theaters and shopping areas of old stomping grounds under "albums" section of my alma matars.

Old 08-20-2008, 07:06 PM

578 posts, read 2,370,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
Thanks for the memories! I grew up in that neighborhood many years ago and have many fond memories of the Grand River/Greenfield shopping area. I wonder if anyone else remembers the J.S. Penny Back-to-School Movies, where all the kids lined up in the parking lot behind the store and marched down to the Great Lakes Movie Theater to see a free matinee compliments of Penny's? How about the walk-through between Monkey Wards and Kresge's 5 & 10 cent store - I remember they had some kind of wax mold making machine where you paid a quarter and watched a wax toy being made. Or how about the donut making machine at the back of Kresge's or the soda fountain counter where you could throw a dart to pop a balloon and hope to win a free coke or banana split? And how about Robert Hall, "where the savings go up, up, up and the prices go down, down, down!" BTW, anyone interested in seeing more old time photos, should try checking out classmates.com site. I have found some amazing photos of my old schools as well as the movie theaters and shopping areas of old stomping grounds under "albums" section of my alma matars.
Also some old times in the detroit area is in the Detroit News/Times, called Rearview Mirror. I will find the link. It shows some amazing blk/whte photos. of landmarks; i.e. Vernors factory on Woodward ave. other classic antiquated buildings and businesses.

Old 08-20-2008, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmcall View Post
Anyone here used to live (or currently live) in this once fine area of the city of Detroit. I hope to include a few photos.
Rearview Mirror

Here is a link to the Detroit News History Photo Gallery called "Rearview Mirror" you can google those words if the censor the link above. GREAT PICS of the old times in and around Detroit, the giant stove on Jefferson Ave. by Belle Isle. The history of the Detroit Zoo (famous elephant) when they built the "cageless" animal exhibits, lots of stuff you did NOT know.
Enjoy!

Old 08-20-2008, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmcall View Post
Not there. But my family bought property on East Grand Blvd in the 50s when it was NOT allowed to drive a truck on "the Blvd." or motorcycles, lots of things that kept the shady tree-lined Blvd. very elegant like Boston Blvd was and Chicago st. was too.
The dutch-elm disease starting spreading thru like wildfire in the mid-70s which killed the trees, then it became the Warehouses for the Mental patients that were released onto the streets from the Lafayette Clinic Institution; the huge homes were good for housing the mentally ill, and they didn't have to go far to begging for wine and cigarets; bothering us (the neighbors) walk up to my door and ring the bell asking for coffee, a smoke, spare change...all this started happening in the mid-80s. It, along with other aspects of the hard times, Gov.Engler stopping the G.A. checks of the male welfare recipeints, they turned to bothering us for these handouts, which killed the once lovely Blvd. and other neighborhoods. owners just didn't care to fight anymore and ran for the borders. I stuck it out for 26yrs. and finally moved in 2001.

Old 08-23-2008, 11:16 AM

336 posts, read 824,280 times
Default What up with Detroit schools?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirtasmith View Post
I use to live in that area about 3 yrs ago but closer to Southfield Fwy off Grand River in Rosedale Pk on Lancashire. It was and as far as i know still is a beautiful family orientated area. Unfortunately, and sad to say it is in the Detroit School District which we all know (if you're from Detroit) it's not ****!!
Why are Detroit schools so bad? Is it the antiquated buildings? No resources? Unmotivatable students? Inadequate teachers? As a new teacher, I haven't met anyone willing to take a job there, even though they seem to be the only district that is hiring. I've heard horror stories of inner city schools that are impossible to teach in because the students are so unruly. Is that what's going on?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or