Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 09:44 AM

32 posts, read 51,275 times

Advertisements

Ok forgive me I am new to this sight and just tried to quote Firecracker123 and failed miserably.

Anyway @ coldjensens, my husband will be working in Southfield so I was thinking Ferndale, RO although I do love the idea of living in Metro downtown...I was posting to Yelp and had some pretty scary negative post but not as many as positive post! I have dreams about it being like Gotham City lolol. I am very friendly and meet people very easily I have lived in several cities including Glasgow Scotland, which is a pretty gritty city. All that said we are empty Nester and I do want to feel and be safe.

Thank you so much for your input it does help...a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2010, 09:53 AM

Not necessarily looking for "hard core" urban grit just a nice city easy to get around, pretty safe, good restaurants and nice people. So this is great because I haven't yet looked at Birmingham gives me one more idea!

Thank you

Old 11-23-2010, 11:06 AM

What about Indian Village, Jefferson Chalmers? They look very nice!

Old 11-23-2010, 11:31 AM

103 posts, read 219,486 times
First of all do not listen to others saying that Michigan is a bad place to live. Take it form a true Michigander, it is a great place to live in. I live outskirts of Detroit MI, really like close by board line of the city. People are friendly, you can all ways meet people in any kind of stores, like small mam and pa shops. All depends on how you look at things, for me I live in Redford MI witch I had mention about it is outskirt of the Detroit MI. People in my town are friendly, also they have family's and so on. I would reckmond on living in Michigan. Also the inconmey is ok but it is not like how it use to be back in the olden days, wow I can not believe I said that I was only born in the 90's, but still it goes the same way as you move to another state it all depends on where you want to live at and also where you use to live at. For me if I move to Irvine California I can feel like that is home because of small little subdivisions.

Befriend me and if you have any questions pm me and I will be sure to answer the questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFan View Post
There are certainly many threads here, and many are not that positive on Michigan. However, when I've been there, I've had a great time! I've spent most of my time in the Detroit metro area, along with Ann Arbor and Lansing... always enjoyed it all. I've wandered around the Detroit suburbs and met friendly people who started chatting with me once they saw I was wearing a hockey-related shirt or jacket. I've been to the downtown area around the Hockeytown Cafe and Comerica Park, where I was welcomed greatly by the locals. I've had parking attendants carry on half-hour conversations with me, started simply because I looked like someone he used to know. I've had a great time with the fans at the Joe when the Wings are in town. I've enjoyed the OHL out in Plymouth (if you're a hockey fan, go -- it's great hockey). I've enjoyed shopping at Great Lakes Crossing.

Basically, my impression is positive. My question is -- what is it like to live in Michigan? Is it easy for newcomers to meet people in day-to-day life? Are people as friendly as they appear? And is the economy really that bleak, or is that a creation of the media?

Thanks!

Old 11-23-2010, 03:26 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,902,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimashan View Post
What about Indian Village, Jefferson Chalmers? They look very nice!
A few blocks of each are great. However, some of the grittiest parts of America are within walking distance of both.

Old 11-23-2010, 05:35 PM

758 posts, read 1,960,388 times
Yeah, Indian Village is for lovers of grit and kinda edgy urban living. It's a nice few blocks, but surrounded by a VERY tough neighborhood. Beautiful homes, but not a place you take a long evening stroll.

Jefferson Chalmers doesn't really have nice homes. Actually it doesn't really have homes. It's mostly urban prairie by now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit