Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 11:06 PM

24 posts, read 68,959 times

Advertisements

thanks fortunate to all. i am movin to detroit soon and praise the answers to the curiosity i possess. i am remain questionable to detroit? i force to live in detroit, althogh i prefer fun and lovely municipality. i am research that michigan named 'water wonderland' - is there lively beach fun in detroit? please tell me so i can move. i send security deposit today of 600$ US to landlord rent flat in highland park - is very near 6 mile area? is 6 mile area contain large number of fabulous nite life? please tell me as i am very excited on moving to the highland park nite life Thank you!! i still very curious on black? crime high or no? i
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2008, 11:06 PM

695 posts, read 3,410,289 times
For serious why are there SO many people on here, (the serious ones, not the jokes) that are talking about Highland Park being a good potential place to live. It has to be one of the WORST.

Old 08-24-2008, 12:36 AM

52 posts, read 270,167 times
Hamtramck really does seem like your best bet. There are some Russians there but not a whole lot:
  • Polish 22.9%
  • Black or African American 15.1%
  • Yugoslavian Bosnian 10.5%
  • Arab (Excluding Iraqi and Lebanese) 8.2%
  • Asian Indian 5.4%
  • Ukrainian 3.2%
  • German 2.9%
  • Albanian 2.8%
  • Bangladeshi 2.7%
  • Irish 2.2%
  • Italian 1.8%
  • Russian 1.4%
  • English 1.1%
  • French (except Basque) 0.8%
  • Lebanese 0.7%
  • Scottish 0.7%
  • Mexican 0.6%
  • Pakistani 0.6%
  • Macedonian 0.5%
  • Iraqi 0.5%
From Wikipedia

A lot of the violent crime in Detroit is drug related. It's right next to Highland Park but they are VERY different places.

Old 08-24-2008, 07:19 AM

123 posts, read 487,963 times
Where are you filming? I don't know because I would not want to live in Detroit. Especially if I was moving from another state. The other places you mentioned in my opinion I would not want to either. I grew up mostly in Oakland County. I agree with the other poster you may like Royal Oak and a cute loft. They have a night life there and you could commute to Detroit. Even if you got a nice place in Detroit the surrounding areas are unsafe in my opinion. I would research RO on the net and see the community. When I was moving I looked on craigslist too. Lastly when I moved to Ca I stayed in a hotel for like a week to see where I wanted to live. You can dothe research before you go but just sending money is risky. The picture of the place may not be what it looks like in person

Old 08-24-2008, 12:18 PM

Default highland park question

i film in detroit city center and neighborhood of royal oak. i am find a place near middle of two locations. i dont have automobile and is not legal for me to obtain permit to operate in this country, therefore i must necessary near bus and subway. i look at glen villa apartments in 138 glendale highland park. is walking distance to bus and subway? please advice me as i am very curiousity. i need place soon and many people say highland park is not beautiful? is this correct people? is this mean that there are many black persons in this area? i should make sure to find place with many russians, and many white people to certain my safety. please tell me more

Old 08-24-2008, 02:52 PM

530 posts, read 1,551,227 times
Deeber,

You'll get beaten and killed in Highland Park. STAY AWAY.

Old 08-24-2008, 03:56 PM

655 posts, read 2,202,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeber View Post
Hello!

I am 1 23 year old student/actor from miami beach. I will be filming a movie and moving to Detroit this september and had a few questions, mostly on where to live. I am very impressed with the low rents in your city. I am considering 3 apartments - one is in the suburb of Highland Park and the other two are in the city (State Fair area & Dexter Road). What are the advantages and disadvantages to each? Is Highland Park boring and stale? I'm looking for a hustling and bustling area so I'm leaning toward Dexter Road, but your input would be appreciated
You are 0 for 3 there.

Old 08-24-2008, 04:06 PM

655 posts, read 2,202,708 times
There is no subway.

Do not rent sight unseen....ever.

Don't believe people who claim you'll get beaten and killed in Detroit. They love to **** on Detroit for fun.

If you are filming in Royal Oak and Detroit I would advise living along Woodward. I'd try Ferndale and Royal Oak first. Downtown I could recommend a cheap building that I used to live in.

Avoid Palmer Park and Highland Park as well as Hamtramck. Ham-town would not be convenient for a bus rider.

What is your budget?

What is "Detroit city center"? Are you talking about Downtown or the New Center area?

Old 08-24-2008, 04:17 PM

hello thank you all for educate me. i am move shortly and excite to share your city! i research the ferndale neighborhood and see that many gays populate this part. I learn this from online internet website. is this true gays live in ferndale neighborhood? i should to be stay away from this part because is danger from gays? i am fear for safety from highland park "beaten and killed" but scare from gay and black. where is good apartment?

Old 08-24-2008, 04:22 PM

530 posts, read 1,551,227 times
"They love to **** on Detroit for fun." A collection of Photos I assembled earlier this year. The photo's on the 3rd page were mostly Highland Park area. (I'll post another linky soon).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26283755@N03/ (broken link)

Last edited by fmax; 08-24-2008 at 04:23 PM.. Reason: added link
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit