Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 01:03 PM

144 posts, read 546,599 times

Advertisements

For Jsqueezer and Nearborn:

From the Wayne County Website: Wayne County, MI - Prosecutor of Wayne County (http://www.waynecounty.com/prosecutor/bioWorthy.htm - broken link)

"Worthy began her career in the Wayne County Prosecutor's Office in 1984, where she became the office's first African-American "Special Assignment" prosecutor. Worthy was elected judge of the Recorder's Court for the City of Detroit in 1994. She became a judge for the Wayne County Circuit Court in October 1997 when that court merged with the Recorder's Court. After nine years on the bench she retired from her position in 2003 to become a candidate for the Office of the Wayne County Prosecutor. "

Just thought it would clear the time frame thing up.

My personal opinion is that while she may be a prosecutor that has not come under too much scrutiny for her personal or professional life, I can't understand how someone in public office let's their home go into foreclosure.

According to the Free Press she says her difficulties are a result of cashing "in an IRA in 2003 to fund her run for prosecutor and that she was up to date on the payments." So obviously she didn't pay taxes on the money she withdrew. She is also $7600.00 in arrears on property taxes, says the County treasurer's office, and owes taxes for 2006 and 2007 on a rental property she owns.

I don't know about anyone else but how does a county prosecutor show their face when they ignore their tax obligations? Am I wrong in thinking that the people in any form of government should be held to a little higher standard. For Pete's Sake, Joe Citizen can be denied good insurance rates if his credit isn't good....

Why don't people Learn about those they elect before they fill out that ballot?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2008, 01:29 PM

225 posts, read 817,914 times
I owed a couple hundred dollars in City income tax when I moved out of that cess pool. They hounded me pretty good until I paid it a year later. Think Kimmy would have given it a second thought if the city wanted to prosecute me or take my new house in the suburbs for failing to pay?

Old 09-07-2008, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearborn View Post
I owed a couple hundred dollars in City income tax when I moved out of that cess pool. They hounded me pretty good until I paid it a year later. Think Kimmy would have given it a second thought if the city wanted to prosecute me or take my new house in the suburbs for failing to pay?
Probably not. However, I don't think she is whining about it. She just didn't want it to become public knowledge.

Old 09-07-2008, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Probably not. However, I don't think she is whining about it. She just didn't want it to become public knowledge.
Well, I'M whining about it because there's no way the head of the prosecutor's office should be IN that office if she has outstanding property taxes. She should resign just as sure as Kwame should have. Paying taxes is the law. If you can't abide by it, you have no business prosecuting others for breaking it, let alone being head of the office that does the prosecuting.

Old 09-07-2008, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Well, I'M whining about it because there's no way the head of the prosecutor's office should be IN that office if she has outstanding property taxes. She should resign just as sure as Kwame should have. Paying taxes is the law. If you can't abide by it, you have no business prosecuting others for breaking it, let alone being head of the office that does the prosecuting.
Well said nearborn!!!!

Old 09-08-2008, 06:41 AM

750 posts, read 1,434,396 times
Thanks MichiganIrish for clearing that up.

Nearborn, too, for showing me how stupid I am. Ha! Wikipedia! I really am a dummy. To prove to you just HOW stupid I am (again, thanks!) I'm going to send a check to Kym, to help with her tax problem.

Old 09-08-2008, 02:05 PM

It was nothing, really.

Old 09-08-2008, 03:56 PM

750 posts, read 1,434,396 times
Quote:
It was nothing, really.

So is my check to Kym Worthy.

Old 12-13-2008, 02:47 PM

2 posts, read 3,810 times
I have only the highest regard and respect for Kym Worthy in her prosecution of Kwame. Because I work with many overachievers I would be willing to suggest that she hasn't had much time to think about taxes. She'll get around to the taxes. Many's the time I've filed for an extension because my time was overextended doing what I considered to be more important. Unless you are an overachiever, that's hard to understand. I don't think we have a right to criticize until we've walked in her shoes.

Old 12-13-2008, 06:15 PM

9,405 posts, read 11,150,657 times
Quote:
Just another ambitious political hack making a name for herself with high-profile cases for a future run for another public office that pays more. I believe she opposed mandatory penalties for gun crimes. She's not as "tough on crime" as she would have you believe.

ANY prosecutor can look good with high profile cases. The measure of a good prosecutor is how they handle the every-day criminals. Wayne County is known for not prosecuting criminals nearly as vigorously as Oakland County.

As far as what she's paid, she's paid very well for a public servant at about $130,000.00 per year, plus a car and gas and who knows how much of an expense account.

Shouldn't there be some type of rule requiring a public official like Worthy to be able to pay her bills?

I make a hell of a lot less than Worthy and send more than one kid to private schools. And you want me to "help her out"? Are you kidding me?Tell me you were being facetious.
Just 130 grand?? Krikey, I am all over this!

Someone give me her address, or maybe I'll just send it to MoTown RFD.
I will send her a few autographed pictures of me, Elvis the Pelvis, she can sell them on ebay and pay off a couple of her 10-grand plastic bills.

I hate it that worthy public servants have to get by on a pittance and then some jerk runs up their credit cards while they're not looking!!

As for a rule regarding "public servants" running their lives in a reasonably responsible manner...Back in Thee Goode Olde Dayes, when SHAME walked the earth and people knew how to turn red when they had done something shameful, a public official might have been pushed out the door if such embarassing information came out about them.

I look on Great Britain's 1960s PROFUMO AFFAIR, starring Kristine Keeler and Mandy Rice-Davies, as a high point in the decline of western civ. People actually resigned from their high office!! What a bleeping concept!

Did anyone in the Bush administration resign after 911?
Did anyone in the Clinton administration resign after the Branch Davidian slaughter, or after the shameful Elian Gonzalez kidnapping/return to commie heaven?

Heavens no! Might affect the pension!!

Yes, we have come a long way, a very long way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit