Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2008, 09:34 AM

26 posts, read 106,988 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I would like to buy an inexpensive home near the University of Detroit Mercy. Is Bagley a safe area?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 02:03 PM

225 posts, read 817,867 times
No. Plus, it's not really near UDM. How "inexpensive" is "inexpensive"? Are you talking UDM at 6 and Livernois or the dental school or the law school downtown or the old Mercy campus?

Old 08-26-2008, 02:10 PM

382 posts, read 1,053,452 times
It's unfortunate because there are some beautiful homes/streets just to the east and northeast of UDM's main campus.

Old 08-26-2008, 05:50 PM

I don't think the University District is that "unsafe", but I don't think there are any real inexpensive houses in decent shape around there unless you get one hell of a tax credit. Taxes are the deal breaker around there for single people or childless couples looking for an "inexpensive" house. Also not sure if they're talking about the main campus. I'm guessing no if they're asking about Bagley.

Old 09-06-2008, 10:41 PM

1,996 posts, read 3,158,204 times
Nearborn, the original poster is referring to the Bagley Community, which is the neighborhood bounded by West McNichols to the South, 7 (or 8 Mile) to the North, Livernois to the east, and Wyoming to the west. It is basically the neighborhood to the west of the University District and Sherwood Forest across Livernois.

To the south of this neighborhood is Marygrove College. This house has some FINE houses, ranging from 1300 sq feet to 2500 sq feet, ALL-BRICK, built primarily in the late 1920's to the early 1940's. Pennington and San Juan streets have the most consistent collection of pretty houses.

Toward, McNichols, there are alot of (pretty but unkept) 2 family flats, and is not so well-maintained and safe. But the Closer you get to 7 Mile Road and Outer Drive, the more single-family, well-maintained and safer it is.

Here are some houses for sale:

Real Estate One – Detroit, Ann Arbor, Northern Michigan, Michigan Real Estate - Property Detail (http://www.realestateone.com/content/PropertyDetail.asp?listingNumber=e28106732 - broken link)

Real Estate One – Detroit, Ann Arbor, Northern Michigan, Michigan Real Estate - Property Detail (http://www.realestateone.com/content/PropertyDetail.asp?listingNumber=e28017643 - broken link)

Real Estate One – Detroit, Ann Arbor, Northern Michigan, Michigan Real Estate - Property Detail (http://www.realestateone.com/content/PropertyDetail.asp?listingNumber=e28063766 - broken link)

Real Estate One – Detroit, Ann Arbor, Northern Michigan, Michigan Real Estate - Property Detail (http://www.realestateone.com/content/PropertyDetail.asp?listingNumber=e28149602 - broken link)

Real Estate One – Detroit, Ann Arbor, Northern Michigan, Michigan Real Estate - Property Detail (http://www.realestateone.com/content/PropertyDetail.asp?listingNumber=e27168019 - broken link)

There are also a few affordable houses in the University District, which is north of U of D.

These need fixing up and taxes are outrageous, (but they can be adjusted if you petition the city).

Real Estate One – Detroit, Ann Arbor, Northern Michigan, Michigan Real Estate - Property Detail (http://www.realestateone.com/content/PropertyDetail.asp?listingNumber=e27155515 - broken link)

Real Estate One – Detroit, Ann Arbor, Northern Michigan, Michigan Real Estate - Property Detail (http://www.realestateone.com/content/PropertyDetail.asp?listingNumber=e28034815 - broken link)

Old 09-06-2008, 11:06 PM

1,996 posts, read 3,158,204 times
The Bagley Community is a neighborhood of missed opportunities.

If Detroit had its act together, this large neighborhood could have been one of the most desirable semi-walkable communities in the Detroit Area.

It is bounded on the east and west by two major neighborhood commercial districts: Livernois/7 Mile (the avenue of fashion) and the smaller Wyoming-Curtis commercial district.

I started a post on another website chronicling the arson that destroyed 11 buildings in the dilapidated Wyoming-Curtis district. This business area was distinctive because of its exclusive 1950's architecture, the day-care center with gigantic plastic dolls that lined Wyoming for a half-a-block, and the 1970's-era lights that still line Wyoming north of Curtis Street.

Discuss Detroit: The destuction of the Wyoming/Curtis "Retail Center"

With its two commercial districts, outstanding housing stock of single-familiy and two-family houses, along with being close to the Northwest Activities Center, the recreation facility and playfield at Wyoming/7 Mile, and nearby Palmer Park, as well as being adjacent to 2 Catholic Colleges and the outstanding residential hoods to the east of it, the Bagley Community really could have been a unique and thriving semi-urban neighborhood.

Old 09-07-2008, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Nearborn, the original poster is referring to the Bagley Community, which is the neighborhood bounded by West McNichols to the South, 7 (or 8 Mile) to the North, Livernois to the east, and Wyoming to the west. It is basically the neighborhood to the west of the University District and Sherwood Forest across Livernois.
I forgot about that one. Too much crime around there for me. Only place worth going in that areas is Baker's Keyboard Lounge as far as I'm concerned.....my opinion only......

The "Avenue of Fashion" is history despite the return of the "Livernois Median".

Quote:
I started a post on another website chronicling the arson that destroyed 11 buildings in the dilapidated Wyoming-Curtis district. This business area was distinctive because of its exclusive 1950's architecture, the day-care center with gigantic plastic dolls that lined Wyoming for a half-a-block, and the 1970's-era lights that still line Wyoming north of Curtis Street.
What is significant or distictive about "1950's architecture" other than its lack of significance or distinction? 1970's era lights? Are you kidding? The only thing that signifies is a lack of updating. And those dolls are uber ugly! Was that the daycare that was closed by the feds due to tax evasion or some kind of grant fraud? There are still some decent houses in that area, but I wouldn't invest my money there on an "inexpensive" house. The only area I'd take a chance on other than Sherwood or Palmer would be the University District. I think west of Livernois is going to get a lot worse before it gets any better.

And to get to the OP's most significant question, NO, I do not consider it a "safe" area. No way in hell I'd let my wife or kids walk around that area after dark, or even before dark for that matter. There's a reason Baker's has fenced-in parking with armed guards outside.

If you're going to U of D on Livernois, get a place north of 8 Mile and commute a couple miles.

Old 09-09-2008, 10:18 AM

26 posts, read 106,988 times
Default Thanks!

Sorry I did not reply. I did not know anyone was posting to my question! the houses shown are what I am looking for, though a little large for me. Now that I look at the listings, however, the taxes are outrageous. I could afford the homes on the lower end of the scale and pay cash, but that level of taxation wouldn't let me keep the house for very long. I will probably look somewhere else, but thanks for all of your help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit