Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 09:10 PM

1 posts, read 1,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmsmom3 View Post
I left a job of three years as a Teacher's Aide in Kansas to move to Monroe, Michigan for my husband's job. We moved here 3 months ago, without any friends or family living here, so my references are all out of state. I have sent out at least 100 resumes and applied at plenty of places. I am starting to wonder if there are any jobs at all in Michigan. I have experience in the hotel industry along with my school experience and have held plenty of odd jobs since I was 18.

I am now 32 and feel like I will never land a job. Is it me or is this area hypocritical of those who move from out of state? I am getting really depressed that I cannot find a job. All I want is a job with a steady paycheck and opportunity for advancement. I would love for someone to be able to help me out.
Jobs here in monroe don't pay much per hr and anything 25 miles or more away the gas you have to pay every week doesn't help eather. Its a no win situation the way things are. Companies keep emloyees at a low pay bracket, they downsize and the employee has to do the extra work with no extra pay. It sucks but they get away with it. Good luck ..jeff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 07:31 PM

111 posts, read 148,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-IRISH View Post
there's good news and bad news...the good news is there are plenty of jobs in michigan,the bad news is they are all taken
The jobs are taken in other states too.Also what if you lose your job?What the fk do you do with the high cost of living?

Old 01-06-2014, 09:39 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,737,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrema View Post
The jobs are taken in other states too.Also what if you lose your job?What the fk do you do with the high cost of living?
Relative to other states, Michigan and Detroit have a very low cost of living.

Provided you have a modest paying job, you can live like a king here.

Old 02-24-2014, 03:46 PM

111 posts, read 148,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Relative to other states, Michigan and Detroit have a very low cost of living.

Provided you have a modest paying job, you can live like a king here.
Everything is expensive and renting comes close to california cities.

Old 02-25-2014, 11:32 AM

211 posts, read 299,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrema View Post
Everything is expensive and renting comes close to california cities.

If u just want somewhere cheap to live that is somewhat nice, go to Houston. Houston is cheaper to live than Detroit.

Old 02-25-2014, 01:05 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,153,320 times
Daughter and son-in-law of friends of mine just moved back up to Michigan two weeks ago - from South Carolina. Long story, but they have two little daughters, a car, and not much else but some bags of clothing and baby supplies.

Two weeks ago - and both are now employed, albeit in low-paying jobs. Grandparents are looking after the kids when necessary, as the couple is living with them for now. Husband works days, wife works nights. They wanted to be near grandparents and back in Michigan.

Husband's tax refund will either allow them to buy a cheap house outright or provide a decent down-payment for an inexpensive house. They hope to be in their own house within the next month or two.

I am SO impressed with this young couple! They hit the ground running the day they got here, aggressively looked for work, found work, and are now looking at houses to buy. Granted the jobs they have now are "menial" (janitorial and nursing assistant) and not that well-paying, but they were determined to get to work, and did. Cost of living is cheap enough here that even with a relatively meager income, they'll do just fine.

Husband is a *legal* immigrant from Mexico with a green card, I should mention. He has worked and paid taxes consistently since moving to the US - hence the tax refund. Both he and his wife refuse to get on "assistance."

No whining, they just got down to business and are willing to live within their means. Michigan needs more people like this!

Old 02-26-2014, 01:20 AM

655 posts, read 2,202,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfactor85 View Post
If u just want somewhere cheap to live that is somewhat nice, go to Houston. Houston is cheaper to live than Detroit.
That is so not true.

Old 02-27-2014, 10:57 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,737,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Daughter and son-in-law of friends of mine just moved back up to Michigan two weeks ago - from South Carolina. Long story, but they have two little daughters, a car, and not much else but some bags of clothing and baby supplies.

Two weeks ago - and both are now employed, albeit in low-paying jobs. Grandparents are looking after the kids when necessary, as the couple is living with them for now. Husband works days, wife works nights. They wanted to be near grandparents and back in Michigan.

Husband's tax refund will either allow them to buy a cheap house outright or provide a decent down-payment for an inexpensive house. They hope to be in their own house within the next month or two.

I am SO impressed with this young couple! They hit the ground running the day they got here, aggressively looked for work, found work, and are now looking at houses to buy. Granted the jobs they have now are "menial" (janitorial and nursing assistant) and not that well-paying, but they were determined to get to work, and did. Cost of living is cheap enough here that even with a relatively meager income, they'll do just fine.

Husband is a *legal* immigrant from Mexico with a green card, I should mention. He has worked and paid taxes consistently since moving to the US - hence the tax refund. Both he and his wife refuse to get on "assistance."

No whining, they just got down to business and are willing to live within their means. Michigan needs more people like this!
So you're saying Michigan only needs more people who are perfectly happy with only having "menial" quality of lives?

Old 02-28-2014, 05:46 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,153,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
So you're saying Michigan only needs more people who are perfectly happy with only having "menial" quality of lives?
I don't know how you got that impression from my post. They are young, mid-20s, so presumably they won't be stuck with "menial" jobs for the rest of their lives. Besides, what's wrong with being willing to live within one's means while doing necessary, albeit not well-paying work? Someone has to clean businesses and take care of the infirm and elderly.

Anyway my point was that they came to an economically depressed area and managed to find full-time work in less than two weeks. They just got their tax refund check and are looking for a house to purchase. They're working, paying taxes and will shortly be paying property taxes. They will be productive members of the community, instead of members of the legions of people on assistance

As I understand they're eligible for assistance and unemployment, which would probably net them as much as they're making at work. But they chose to get jobs instead. Husband hopes to get better-paying work when the weather warms up. He's done various construction trades - rough carpenter, roofer - so he can do quite well if he gets hired by a builder or established construction company.

Old 02-28-2014, 10:39 AM

1 posts, read 1,107 times
I'm a black male living in detroit. Them city officials keep us down by saying we re bankruptted, but i tell u it beacause they want to keep us poor so they dont give my fam the money every month. i know we all blast on people because we want the cash but these people in detroit keep takin and usin it for the bread for their fams . imma blast on all them i tell you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit