Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 10:37 AM

521 posts, read 870,209 times

Advertisements

Free trade and NAFTA is not working,just look at the whole country,it is in near depression mode.It's about time we start looking out for ourselves as a country.We need to protect our industries the few we have left.Our country is not structured for 5.00 jobs.Every other country has protection for there industries.We are being led down a path of 2 classes, wealthy and poor. The goverment doesnt have a clue of what to do about the loss of jobs.Until the flow of job stops going overseas and mexico,there is no future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 09:41 PM

14 posts, read 195,266 times
The job market in almost every city is bad, not just Michigan. Very few states have positive job growth. There were no problems finding any job here in 06. 2008 is just a crappy year because rich washington crooks ruined our country.

Old 12-07-2008, 06:28 PM

23 posts, read 87,174 times
I am still looking for a permanent job and can't seem to get any interviews either. I check Mich works daily and I think it is a big hoax!! Most all employers here have you do applications on the internet and never see you face to face. Maybe it would be easier to get hired if they reverted back to paper applications again. I have sent out so many resumes and am really discouraged that no one even bother with a phone call to say that the job has been filled. Help need ideas on what to do job hunt wise or even job wise. Right now I would take anything!!!!

Old 12-11-2008, 04:46 PM

12 posts, read 39,945 times
Weird I move to detroit for a job, no trouble for me. I work in finance as well.

Old 12-12-2008, 05:59 AM

Hooray for you. My husband moved here for a job too. Read my original post and you will see the trouble I am having.

Old 12-12-2008, 06:51 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,854,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmsmom3 View Post
I am still looking for a permanent job and can't seem to get any interviews either. I check Mich works daily and I think it is a big hoax!! Most all employers here have you do applications on the internet and never see you face to face. Maybe it would be easier to get hired if they reverted back to paper applications again. I have sent out so many resumes and am really discouraged that no one even bother with a phone call to say that the job has been filled. Help need ideas on what to do job hunt wise or even job wise. Right now I would take anything!!!!
You have to put yourself in the shoes of the people doing the hiring. Why should they hire you over the pile of 500 - 1000 applications or resumes they are looking at? Just because you "fit" into a possible job description won't cut it, because there are hundreds of others who probably "fit" as well. Go grab a stack of paper and pile it up until you have at least 500 pages. Take one of the pages and write your name (in small letters) near the top of the page and stick it in the middle of the pile. That's how many resumes they are looking at, and that's where your page fits in. They wouldn't even find you if they were looking for you!!

If you convert your energy from posting on here to going into retailers, restaurants, hotels and wherever else you're looking and ask for an "informational interview" with a manager, you'll get a job. If they can't do it then, schedule something out for the following week. Start next week and do it at least 2 - 3 times a day, 10 - 15/week. 80% of the people will throw you out. The other 20% will agree to an interview (if they are hiring). I think you'll have a job by the New Year. Plus, you have the benefit of meeting the manager and checking them out, instead of settling for that hail mary pass phone call from a company you won't like.

The reason why it works, is because 99% of the people out there aren't willing to do it.

(also, can you imagine an employer trying to find the time to call 500 applicants and tell them the job is filled? It would take weeks)

I hope you'll try it and come back to us and tell us you found a job. Good luck!!

Last edited by magellan; 12-12-2008 at 06:59 AM..

Old 12-13-2008, 07:44 PM

Thanks. That is the first positive quote I have gotten. I will start Monday and try it.

Old 12-18-2008, 01:18 PM

13 posts, read 27,901 times
Teaching jobs are rare here in Michigan. I living in Grand Rapids for a long time and they have Grand Valley State there which is one of the top schools in Michigan. Apparently teaching jobs here in Michigan pay more than other states, so those students that graduate never leave.

He and his wife moved to Kansas and at 36 she finally got her first teaching job after being in Michigan all their lives. They have since moved back, and she is scheduled to come back after the end of the school year in May, but are now contemplating staying in Kansas.

I moved back to Michigan in October from a job relocation that took me to Kansas for 2 years. I moved back because my family is all here in Michigan. It seems that employers are looking for candidates that have a lot of experience, education and certifications. Certifications are a plus in my field which is IT.

If you have the time and the money to get additional training, Citrix jobs are a plus! If you have this skills, you can pretty much get a job anywhere. I was lucky to have three interviews here in Michigan and am fortunate to still be getting calls.

So if you have computer skills, this is the place to be, and go get certified in Citrix.

Old 12-18-2008, 05:17 PM

282 posts, read 1,169,162 times
There will be now in the SE metro area. The newspapers aren't going to deliver anymore so ppl will be getting jobs selling the paper on street corners. Kinda nostalgic.

Old 12-20-2008, 08:30 AM

9 posts, read 15,888 times
I had to create my own job. Lived in LA for 20 yrs and never had the trouble I have had here in MI.

MY advice...Create your own job.

Besides...this is the only way that we are going to pull MI out of the funk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit