Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 11:25 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,173,029 times

Advertisements

Are there any areas of Troy which has some Asian restaurants or markets? If not Troy, other areas of metro Detroit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 12:25 PM

23 posts, read 118,960 times
Redrum237, The Hmong gangs in Detroit might not be a big problem but they do cause a lot of havok in their neighborhoods and The gang squad do know who they are. There were murders, rapes, car thefts and home invasions that were the works of hmong gangs. I should know, I grew up with some of them. A lot of them are in prison now. Hmong gangs here are just as dangerous as you find else where in the midwest. When the Hmong people used to host festevities in Detroit there was always fightings and shootings. A few years ago some Detroit hmong gang bangers killed a gang member from Minnesota during a Hmong New Year celebration in Detroit on 8 mile at Fenelon Park. The surrounding neighborhoods began complaining about the flying bullets hitting their cars and houses and one day the Cops showed up and close it down so now it's held in the suburbs. As for Gran Toriono, it was good. The only problem I had with the movie was the setting, I mean no hmongs live in Highland Park. Northeast Detroit between 6mile and 8mile are where they are concentrated at. Also, in south Warren, Pontiac and Lansing.

Old 03-21-2021, 07:09 AM

24 posts, read 26,214 times
Would like to ask for an update. Where is the best place in metro Detroit for East Asians? Does Canton still have a large Chinese population? I know Troy still has a large East Asian population. What about Farmington, West Bloomfield, Novi, and Bloomfield Twp? Anywhere else that would be a good place? Thanks.

Old 03-21-2021, 07:36 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,939,804 times
Troy, Rochester Hills, Novi, Farmington Hills, & Ann Arbor tend to have the largest ex-pat population, primarily of automotive industry related professionals/executives relocated temporarily or permanently to the region. The schools are known for high-quality as well as religious and cultural institutions.

Madison Heights, southern Sterling Heights area is actually known to have the greatest concentration of more middle-class Asians, and Asian-owned businesses. The most popular Asian grocery store is in Madison Heights.

Old 03-22-2021, 07:58 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Canton is heavily Indian (India Indian), There is a significant Korean population in West Bloomfield. Beyond that I do not know. I will try to remember to ask my SIL for other areas (she is Korean and very involved in the Michigan-Korean society).

Old 03-22-2021, 10:50 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,823,988 times
I live in Novi and my subdivision has a lot. Especially young families. I used to live in West Bloomfield there was not as many

Old 03-23-2021, 09:29 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
At least among Koreans, there is a network of Korean people in Michigan. They have their own newspapers, social clubs, and business networking. My SIL will only allow her family to use Korean mechanics, realtors, insurance brokers, contractors, etc., unless none are available. They shop in Korean owned stores as much as possible. They choose churches based in part on how many Koreans attend. Most of the products in their house are from Korea, and purchased from Korean entrepreneurs (they have a lot of unusual products, like a talking coffee maker). When they could afford it, their daughter attended a Korean based supplemental school where she learned Korean language and culture. My brother's family moved to West Bloomfield in part to be closer to the large concertation of Koreans and Korean businesses. It is a general area rather than a specific city (e.g. Koreans are concentrated somewhat in West Bloomfield, Bloomfield hills, and other nearby cities, but there is a concentration in the general area compared to say, the area around Livonia, or Downriver). It is an entire subculture within S.E. Michigan. However there is not a fixed location like Koreatown in Los Angeles.

Old 03-23-2021, 10:09 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,150,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Are there any areas of Troy which has some Asian restaurants or markets? If not Troy, other areas of metro Detroit?
My favorite Japanese place is in Canton. There used to be a great hibachi joint on the border of West Bloomfield and Farmington Hills (Orchard Lake and Maple), but I think it went through some changes to its menu, so I'd hesitate to recommend it now. LOTS of Asian places of different geographical persuasion in Ann Arbor, especially the NorthEast side (Plymouth Road off 23), in particular a Korean chicken place which has awesome food, but awful service. My favorite Indian restaurant is in Plymouth, though there's a decent one in Dearborn, as well. Bangkok 96 is a well-known (and packed, before Covid) Thai restaurant in Dearborn. Lue Thai is another one, less well-known and smaller, but also good. There's a good sushi place owned by Middle Easterners in Dearborn Heights.

Old 03-23-2021, 10:30 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,150,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MWnative View Post
Would like to ask for an update. Where is the best place in metro Detroit for East Asians?
Depends on how you define "best". If you mean areas with the highest concentration of immigrants from that area of the world, Canton, Novi, Ann Arbor, Farmington Hills and West Bloomfield spring to mind.
Quote:
Does Canton still have a large Chinese population?
Judging by the number of Chinese businesses there, I'd say there's some presence. Not sure how large.

This might help, as well.

Old 03-25-2021, 01:08 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,939,804 times
Arguable best sushi place in Metro Detroit is Noble Fish in Clawson at 14 Mile & Main.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit