Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 09:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,286 times

Advertisements

Hi, i might be moving to livonia or somewhere really close to detriot. My roommate (who grew up there) says its not worth my time taking the business offer, but im absolutely obsessed with detriot. I think it has so much potential and the people that i have met are so up front and down to earth. Listen, i have only visited detriot and i am very pridefull about NY and NJ, soo do you think its a wise to live there after only visiting and or living up to my NY NJ life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2008, 10:35 AM

30,702 posts, read 79,413,686 times
If you have a job it is a good idea. People will tell you that you wll probably lose your job and be unemployed. While that is possible, Keep in mind that even with 10% unemployement that means that 90% are employed. (Not counting the peopole who are unemployed for so long that they are deemed unemployable). So while you might lose your job, it is more likely that you will not.

Take your time to look at a lot of different places before you settle in one place. Try Plymouth, Northville, if you are young look at Royal Oak. Ann Arbor is an outstanding city.

An Yes the Detroit area is an outstanding area with loads of potential. Even Detroit has a decent downtown and the City has potential if they can get over some of their issues.

Old 01-03-2009, 12:51 PM

8 posts, read 35,093 times
[quote=michiganirish;5781313]Taylor has always gotten a bad rap... however unfounded. While the south end of Taylor isn't the greatest, there are some very nice homes in other areas. (The subs off Pardee Rd near Heritage Park as wells the west side of town)

This chick doesnt know what shes talking about. You can call me an Oakland County snob all you want but Ill give you the staight up truth about southeastern MI.
First of all, when you live in MI and you go on vacation, you never tell people your from Detroit, unless you have a Detroit mailing address. (youll figure out why once you get her) See since our state is shaped like a mitten weve come up with a system. It goes something like this; "Where are you from?" "Michigan" "Oh really, where abouts?" This is when you hold your hand up and point to a spot on your palm.

While there may be a small portion or Taylor thats nice (theres also a small portion of Detroit thats nice, mind you) We referr to it as 'Taylor Tucky'. I have 2 friends from Taylor and they even make fun of themselves for living there. Stay away from the eastside, esp downriver. Or people may referr to you as a river rat.

[quote=michiganirish;5781313]All three of these towns are nice, but taxes are high. And the Northville area is getting very busy unless you live right in town, as is Plymouth. Novi is nice but there really is no "town" to speak of, it truly is a bedroom community.

Novi IS a town to speak of. Its probably one of the nicest places to live in Michigan. Your close to everything, an hour from Downtown if you should want to venture to greek town or comerica park. Its a huge shopping area, 12 oaks is the best mall within an hour radius. Its the perfectly suburban, not to rural, but not to city like and good schools. If i were bying a house Id choose Novi or Livonia. Youd probaly be better off with livonia. It would be closer to your hubbys job and the taxes are a lot less, that is Novi's downfall, the taxes. But make sure you stay west of Middlebelt Rd though, you dont wanna get to close to Redford, the housing market is dead there, and it borders Detroit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit