Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 09:59 PM

94 posts, read 224,274 times

Advertisements

I grew up in detroit area but have done business in st. louis. st louis is way ahead of detroit in terms of downtown renewal. there is a lot of construction and a very significant "back to the city" trend. detroit has started this but the auto industry will NOT recover so I think the city is at least 10 years away from seeing any significant improvement. i wish detroit had a brighter near future but i don't see this as realistic any time soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 10:51 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,826,047 times
I do think Downtown St. Louis has improved, certainly since the Escape From New York days, but the Downtown area still has a ways to go. However, it is encouraging. Unfortunately it wasn't in time to save the Century. The Real Estate Market has slowed Downtown growth a bit I think (with Pyramid collapsing and the Arcade's future uncertain, as well as the Dillard's/St. Louis Center mall thing seemlingly in limbo now. But yes, the Downtown area seems to have improved much in the past decade or so.

Old 11-06-2008, 11:57 AM

21 posts, read 66,585 times
Wow! This is like one of the best questions I've seen on here. To me St. Louis and Detroit are one in the same. When I go to St. Louis I still feel like I'm at home. So as far as which one is best it depends on what you are looking for. The job market and night life is a little better in St. Louie but the restaurants are better in Detroit. The only real difference would probably be the climates. Now as far as Pittsburgh goes I've never been there but do have some relatives who lived there and they say it's a far cry from Detroit. Meaning it's totally different but now Philadelphia, I can tell you about. From what I understand Philly is much worse than Detroit & St. Louie put together. Especially areas like the Badlands & West Philly. I guess I would prefer St. Louis because the climate is a little better and they have great jazz clubs.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:18 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,210,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Love View Post
From what I understand Philly is much worse than Detroit & St. Louie put together. Especially areas like the Badlands & West Philly. I guess I would prefer St. Louis because the climate is a little better and they have great jazz clubs.
Your understanding has gone awry.

Center City Philadlephia is arguably the best 100,000 person neighborhood in the usa.

The Philaldephia suburbs are the second largest continuos area of wealth (per capita basis)in the US behind metro NYC. The US average for household median income is $50,000, the 9 suburban counties of Philadlephia average about $71,000.

Sorry DLove but you are misguided.

Valley Forge 15 minutes from Center City

Old 11-08-2008, 05:40 PM

21 posts, read 66,585 times
rainrock, I did not say the suburbs I said Philadelphia itself period. Did you grow up there? Because the info came from people who did. Incomes would be higher since the cost of living is higher. So my info is not as you say "awry". People who live & see it know better than anyone else.

Old 11-08-2008, 09:12 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,210,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Love View Post
rainrock, I did not say the suburbs I said Philadelphia itself period. Did you grow up there? Because the info came from people who did. Incomes would be higher since the cost of living is higher. So my info is not as you say "awry". People who live & see it know better than anyone else.
The thread title is labeled which is better Detroit,Pitt,or St Louis METRO.

Evenso you are still woefully misguided in your perception of the city of Philadlephia.

The below link disproves your reckless statement regarding Philadelphia being more dangerous than Detroit +St Louis combined.

Safest and Most Dangerous U.S. Cities, 2007 — Infoplease.com

Most dangerous cities in the USA 2007

1.Detroit
2.St Louis

There is not a statistician alive that can work those 2 factors into "Philaldephia being more dangerous than Detroit and St Louis put together". It was a bad statement on your behalf, admit your err and move on, thats what the big boys do.

Not to sound supercilous but the reality of the situation is that Philadlephia is on completely higher plane than both Detroit and St Louis.Philadlephia arguably has the 3rd most vibrant downtown in the usa, 1st or 2nd most historical city, top 5 cultural city in the usa. As mentioned previously Center City/University City Philadelphia is possibly the best 100,000 person urban neighborhood in the USA.

Last edited by rainrock; 11-08-2008 at 09:37 PM..

Old 11-15-2008, 12:57 PM

148 posts, read 403,725 times
if i didn't live in st. louis, it would be hard for me to overlook philly or pittsburgh. i'd probably go with pittsburgh, being a small (compared w/ philly), but dense urban core w/ fixed rail transit surrounded by a somewhat isolated and rural landscape. i enjoy this vibe. pittsburgh is making an IMPRESSIVE comeback, and I have loads of respect for that city.

Last edited by CoffeeAndBeer; 11-15-2008 at 01:05 PM..

Old 11-15-2008, 02:54 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,593,147 times
Well, seeing as how I am not a car person, I would go Pittsburgh, St. Louis, and then Detroit. I don't give a rat's a** about the burbs. They are the same wherever I go. So, Pittsburgh is definitely the most walkable, enjoyable. Then St. Louis because of their light rail improvements and the viable neighborhoods in the city. Finally Detroit sad to say.

Old 11-16-2008, 12:03 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,519,988 times
Well I've spent some time in Pittsburgh- It was ok nice rivers but didn't like the traffic. Safety-wise is way better than St Louis or Detroit. Its also not losing population as rapidly. St Louis has hot summers - I don't see any attraction there.

If you are looking for a rust-belt town - try Buffalo. Nice architecture - cheap buildings (but horrible taxes) and next to Corpus Christi, TX its the most drivable city in the US.

If you aren't considering Rust Belt - there's opportunity in El Paso and the Corpus Christi area, but are warm friendly towns with no state income tax,and lower property taxes.

Old 11-17-2008, 12:16 AM

5,812 posts, read 18,826,047 times
Since about 2003 St. Louis City is starting to grow again. Hopefully the city will continue to grow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit