Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 11:03 PM

9 posts, read 19,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneyes29 View Post
The Wanderer,
Did you just write a book? My goodness that's a lot of reading!
Admittedly, it wandered somewhat from the thread, but I followed another's digression where I would.

Some of that is part of a personal, quixotic, albeit occassional 'campaign' to fulfill the void left by empty rhetoric from our leaders to "have a racial dialogue." It began when I was forced to 'participate' in a 'diversity' lecture when I was with a domestic automaker, but built upon my brief experience with the curious practice at Michigan State (in the 1970's, at least) of designating and equipping separate "No Whites Allowed" community rooms in each of the dormitory buildings. You'll remember Obama's aborted attempt to promote such a 'dialogue' early days, perhaps?

The one absolute truth that applies to all such efforts is that WHITE people are free only to say "Amen", hang our heads in shame, or utter apologias reminiscent of the 'confessions' compelled of 'counter-revolutionaries' by Mao's 'Cultural Revolution' in the 1960's.

How things looked to those of us who actually lived it, each in our separate skins and heads, should MATTER to anyone seeking true dialogue or any real sense of mutual understanding. So, I sometimes impose a little, given an opening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2010, 11:30 PM

9 posts, read 19,457 times
Default True, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
lmao drive-bys haven't been big in Detroit for a while, matter of fact has it really ever been drive-bys are more apart of the "gang culture" and Detroit doesn't have a big "gang culture".

Btw why are people so obsessed with "diversity" when in most cities that are so called diverse people just move in areas where the majority are the same race/ethnicity? Blacks with blacks, whites with whites, hispanics with hispanics, asians with asians and atleast one area that has a little of everyone (usually the more affluent and usually majority white and if not majority one race in particular). So really what's the big deal? If all people were truely equal I see no problem at all. I'm black and perfer to live around mostly black people. Not that I'm racist because I'm not. I just simply perfer to live with my own people who share the same culture. Could I live in a majority white, hispanic, asian area? of course. As long as I could get along with them but I have no shame saying my first choice is to stay around majority AA.
I DO know the difference between East LA and Detroit, but drive-bys are code for a lot of other noisome things. In any case, in the early 1990's a HS graduation party in West Bloomfield was shot up gangland-style. Turns out that the young lady had maintained her relationships with certain of her friends from her days in the City. Somehow, that followed her out there, tragically. (When my folks' generation left Detroit, the only ties that most of them maintained were familial. Considering only some of the other White kids among whom he grew up, my father once told me "with good reason.")

As for your desiring mostly to live among your 'own', I'm in complete accord. Any homogenization should be a matter of choice. Outside of the upscale areas in places like Manhattan and San Francisco where people whose shared AFFLUENCE and/or CULTURAL interests cluster in their relative privilege, the rest of us should be equally privileged to cling to the little things that make our lives complete in the absence of conspicuous consumption and the pursuits of Veblen's 'leisure class'.

In the long run (as with Catholics, Protestants, and many Jews beginning mostly with us Boomers; or with Whites and Hispanics mostly recently), the choices of what to keep and what to jettison will be made by the children of those who were raised by each of their parents. (Children who do not feel loved by BOTH parents, given the sorry history involved and the ill feelings it has left us, are unlikely to have anything approaching a strong sense of their own jointness.)

Old 09-13-2010, 05:47 AM

45 posts, read 95,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Wanderer2 View Post
Alas my first response to the above apparently vanished into the ether. I'll try again.

As to your questions: In similar ways to how many Blacks feel perfectly justified in maintaining that we can't possibly determine whether or not we or our loved ones are racist. Coleman never made any great secret that he didn't like white people. As I went on to add earlier, nor did he fail to provide us with constant reminders of the practical impact of his disdain for us. Or, sadly for the City, its practical impact on both it and its remaining inhabitants. It was 'our' City now, not Whitey's, and he was there to prevent us from reclaiming it.

As to the point to which you wish to hew, it's a pity that the Leftist social engineers still wish to enforce an homogenization of our separate selves. Surely you haven't escaped the notion that groups of separate (White) people are a BAD THING?
Your first response didn't show where Coleman Young at any time said he "didn't like white people," and neither does your second response. Again, I wasn't alive at that time, but maybe you have some better quotes or proof to prove your point. Perhaps the white people of Detroit didn't like Coleman Young and so they moved out of Detroit where they didn't have to deal with a black mayor? Whites moving out of neighborhoods that blacks inhabit is not just some concept that just happened in Detroit, it goes on all over America (for whatever reasons), so you're going to have to show me where it was Young's intention to "push whites out." White people are the most powerful group in America, so they only leave if THEY want to leave, not because somebody else wants them to.

...And no, groups of separate (white) people are not a "bad thing." Whites have cities all over America where they are the majority and because Detroit has a majority black city, somebody asks if it is the "Least Racially Diverse City in America??" Again, this isn't a new concept in America. People want to live with their own race (except some blacks who follow whites that don't want to live with them). It's why some whites haul ass every time a black person settles in their neighborhood. It's the reason why there are Chinatowns and Koreantowns all over America. It's not a "left" or "right" issue... it's a people issue. Take a look at the news Wanderer... whites have pegged the whole Muslim community as terrorists and are trying to condemn them and their places of worship in neighborhoods across America out of fear... and I doubt the people who are doing this would call themselves "leftist."

Old 09-13-2010, 07:01 AM

30,703 posts, read 79,445,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
What other U.S city with over 500,000 people do know where one single racial group alone makes up over 81% of the population ?

Several Cities in California. Santa Ana is one example. The "official" population is 350,000, but the real population is probably 500,000 or more. The "official" diversity number is 80+% hispanic, but if you could actaully identify the real population it will be closer to 90%.

The problem with comparing Cities in California, Arizona, Texas and New Mexico is that a huge portion of the population will not reveal themselves to the census.

If a government worker comes to the door, the last thing you are going to do is reveal that you have 42 illegal aliens illegally living in your house. Thus, they have to guess. They guess low.

Other than a lack of "diversity," I do not see a problem with any given city having a concentration of people from a particular race. Detroit's problem is not race, it is poverty. I have never understood valuing diversity just for diversity's sake as if it in itself has some intrinsic value. Many parents want their kids to go to a "diverse" school. Why? So that they can experience segregation first hand? Perhaps it is better to put your kids in a non-diverse school where they are a minority. Or to live in a City where you are a minority. It certainly helps you see things from the toehr side of the coin.

Old 09-13-2010, 01:43 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,377,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Wanderer2 View Post
I DO know the difference between East LA and Detroit, but drive-bys are code for a lot of other noisome things. In any case, in the early 1990's a HS graduation party in West Bloomfield was shot up gangland-style. Turns out that the young lady had maintained her relationships with certain of her friends from her days in the City. Somehow, that followed her out there, tragically. (When my folks' generation left Detroit, the only ties that most of them maintained were familial. Considering only some of the other White kids among whom he grew up, my father once told me "with good reason.")

As for your desiring mostly to live among your 'own', I'm in complete accord. Any homogenization should be a matter of choice. Outside of the upscale areas in places like Manhattan and San Francisco where people whose shared AFFLUENCE and/or CULTURAL interests cluster in their relative privilege, the rest of us should be equally privileged to cling to the little things that make our lives complete in the absence of conspicuous consumption and the pursuits of Veblen's 'leisure class'.

In the long run (as with Catholics, Protestants, and many Jews beginning mostly with us Boomers; or with Whites and Hispanics mostly recently), the choices of what to keep and what to jettison will be made by the children of those who were raised by each of their parents. (Children who do not feel loved by BOTH parents, given the sorry history involved and the ill feelings it has left us, are unlikely to have anything approaching a strong sense of their own jointness.)
first, I said gang culture not East LA, second like I already said drive-bys are NOT a Detroit thing smh

Old 03-25-2012, 06:33 PM

124 posts, read 212,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rid0617 View Post
Well, here is a middle age white family with a 16 year old homeschooled daughter who is planning on moving to Detroit. I was born there and stayed till I was 15 and not old enough to tell my family I want to stay. We are tired of red necks and hillbillies along with living with the 1950s attitudes down here. We're aware of the problems Detroit has, every person on 3 different forums I'm with have been extremely friendly and welcoming. I'm sure we might find people who don't want us there once we get there but since we spent most of our lives in Atlanta that's not a problem. I believe if more people would realize we're all in the same doo doo trying to make it everyone would get along better and work together.
Sweetheart, nobody's going to harrass you if you move to Detroit. And the statement about people not wanting you here? Nobody's going to burn a cross on your lawn and threaten you to make you move, so you can relax about that

I just don't understand why you would want to board a sinking ship when everyone else is scrambling to get off? Well...To each his own.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:10 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,650,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fire&ice View Post
Sweetheart, nobody's going to harrass you if you move to Detroit. And the statement about people not wanting you here? Nobody's going to burn a cross on your lawn and threaten you to make you move, so you can relax about that

I just don't understand why you would want to board a sinking ship when everyone else is scrambling to get off? Well...To each his own.
I think people forget the reputation that the South once had as being backwards, as having terrible schools, racial strife, and the like. It used to be the trend that people were leaving the South for the northern utopia. Eventually the South became so cheap, due to lack of demand, that companies and people started moving south for the cost savings.

Buy low sell high. One has to learn to spot trends and curves and changing points. Most people are followers and not leaders. They run if they see other people running. They stop if they see others stop. They buy this if they see other people buying this. They move to other places because that is where everyone else is moving. People follow the rhetoric of talk radio or other talking heads and regurgitate it. Thinking seems to be a lost art.

At the local YMCA I attend, there used to be a Fuddruckers restaurant across the street. The restaurant fell on hard times and closed. It sat empty for about a year…..then all of a sudden I started noticing carpenters going in and out of the building with material and before long a new restaurant opened in that same location, taking advantage of the existing structure and infrastructure. The longer the idle property sat empty the cheaper the price became to the point that others invested. The parking lot is jammed with customers daily now. The thing people ignore about Detroit now is that its dirt cheap and has solid infrastructure and location. Just like the abandoned restaurant, eventually entities are going to look at Detroit and conclude……I can profit from this…more than I can someplace else. Detroit is at that stage; however, it’s still suffering from trend followers who do not understand inflexion points of curves and trends.

People who are ahead of the curve profit and people who come in at the tail end of trends usually get burned. The Suburban phenomenon is not only losing its appeal, it will become costly once gas prices start reaching a 5 or 6 dollar a gallon floor. People will start seeking greater density and the economies that can be gained by jobs, people and cultural amenities all I in close proximity. There is already existing infrastructure for such in central cities like Detroit. Even now the changes are taking place in Detroit but its masked, in major cities all across America, by African Americans following the old trend of suburban living. Look internationally at cities, The model for cities of the future and America is high density urban apartment living. The world simply does not have the energy resources to support billions of new people spread out at low densities driving over 100 miles a day for daily living wants and needs. Detroit will comeback if for no other reason than the changing city suburban formula that will result from scarcity of cheap energy.

If a person moves to Detroit, has a secure job and feels relatively safe ……I envy you. I have a 2K montly mortgage in suburban Minneapolis and the house is under water about 50k. You know what I could do with a 1/2K Mortgage or less? Granted, car insurance would be a itch like it was before I move away. My montly disposable income would increase by 1500 dollars a month. With rising prices for food gas, health care, tuition........please.....that is why many people moved from the Northeast to the South because their cost of living was greatly reduced, despite terrible schools in the south and all the problems that the south was known for before it started booming with people and investment.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 03-26-2012 at 11:23 AM..

Old 03-26-2012, 12:10 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,851,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I think people forget the reputation that the South once had as being backwards, as having terrible schools, racial strife, and the like. It used to be the trend that people were leaving the South for the northern utopia. Eventually the South became so cheap, due to lack of demand, that companies and people started moving south for the cost savings.

Buy low sell high. One has to learn to spot trends and curves and changing points. Most people are followers and not leaders. They run if they see other people running. They stop if they see others stop. They buy this if they see other people buying this. They move to other places because that is where everyone else is moving. People follow the rhetoric of talk radio or other talking heads and regurgitate it. Thinking seems to be a lost art.

At the local YMCA I attend, there used to be a Fuddruckers restaurant across the street. The restaurant fell on hard times and closed. It sat empty for about a year…..then all of a sudden I started noticing carpenters going in and out of the building with material and before long a new restaurant opened in that same location, taking advantage of the existing structure and infrastructure. The longer the idle property sat empty the cheaper the price became to the point that others invested. The parking lot is jammed with customers daily now. The thing people ignore about Detroit now is that its dirt cheap and has solid infrastructure and location. Just like the abandoned restaurant, eventually entities are going to look at Detroit and conclude……I can profit from this…more than I can someplace else. Detroit is at that stage; however, it’s still suffering from trend followers who do not understand inflexion points of curves and trends.

People who are ahead of the curve profit and people who come in at the tail end of trends usually get burned. The Suburban phenomenon is not only losing its appeal, it will become costly once gas prices start reaching a 5 or 6 dollar a gallon floor. People will start seeking greater density and the economies that can be gained by jobs, people and cultural amenities all I in close proximity. There is already existing infrastructure for such in central cities like Detroit. Even now the changes are taking place in Detroit but its masked, in major cities all across America, by African Americans following the old trend of suburban living. Look internationally at cities, The model for cities of the future and America is high density urban apartment living. The world simply does not have the energy resources to support billions of new people spread out at low densities driving over 100 miles a day for daily living wants and needs. Detroit will comeback if for no other reason than the changing city suburban formula that will result from scarcity of cheap energy.

If a person moves to Detroit, has a secure job and feels relatively safe ……I envy you. I have a 2K montly mortgage in suburban Minneapolis and the house is under water about 50k. You know what I could do with a 1/2K Mortgage or less? Granted, car insurance would be a itch like it was before I move away. My montly disposable income would increase by 1500 dollars a month. With rising prices for food gas, health care, tuition........please.....that is why many people moved from the Northeast to the South because their cost of living was greatly reduced, despite terrible schools in the south and all the problems that the south was known for before it started booming with people and investment.
EXACTLY!!! I remember talking to this girl she said she was moving to Atlanta I said "Why? wth do you know about Atlanta?" her response: "nothing but it seem like everybody moving there so im thinking about it". I ask this question to EVERYONE that talks about moving somewhere and 95% of their responses are clueless. I drop knowledge on them about places that they want to move to (most are typical) I know more about the place then they do. When I explain to them how it isn't any easier then living where they live now (which is not just Detroit) most of them reconsider. The only I can understand is weather, employment opportunities, or family problems. Most things outside of that category, they are just following other people.

Old 03-26-2012, 01:08 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,650,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinStrong313 View Post
EXACTLY!!! I remember talking to this girl she said she was moving to Atlanta I said "Why? wth do you know about Atlanta?" her response: "nothing but it seem like everybody moving there so im thinking about it". I ask this question to EVERYONE that talks about moving somewhere and 95% of their responses are clueless. I drop knowledge on them about places that they want to move to (most are typical) I know more about the place then they do. When I explain to them how it isn't any easier then living where they live now (which is not just Detroit) most of them reconsider. The only I can understand is weather, employment opportunities, or family problems. Most things outside of that category, they are just following other people.
In our hyper capitalistic culture we are programmed, by coincidence or conspiracy, to constantly seek change and to follow trends. Why? It’s due to the fact fluctuations and changes create opportunities for profit for capitalist. If people were content with doing the same old thing, living in the same old home and wearing the same old styles they would consume much less. Hence, our culture programs us to seek change because change ensures new consumption. This is why there are always new styles or trends in this and that, which rarely offer functional improvement but people gladly follow because they feel as if they are missing out or there status or happiness will diminish.

People are being turned into consumer zombies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit