Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 12:28 AM

25 posts, read 92,436 times

Advertisements

COLUMBIA -- When a 12-year-old Sumter boy going door to door for Halloween candy died recently in a hail of assault-rifle bullets, officials say it capped a wave of carnage that has swept South Carolina the past three years and left the state with the nation's top violent crime rate.

A sinking economy, budget cuts, easy access to guns and a populace used to solving problems with knives and bullets are all factors in the violence now, officials said, which has left prosecutors and law enforcement chiefs scratching their heads.
"It's mind boggling," said Walt Wilkins, South Carolina's top federal prosecutor. "I don't think there's any clear answer as to why we're leading the nation in violent crime."
Worse, Solicitor Trey Gowdy of Spartanburg said, residents don't seem upset by the high level of violence unless they become a victim. "It astonishes me there is no outcry," he said.
The FBI reported this fall that South Carolina trailed only the District of Columbia in its violent crime rate for the third consecutive year. The violent crime rate for 2007 dropped nationally, according to the FBI, by 1.4 percent. South Carolina's violent crime rate increased last year by 3 percent to 788 violent crimes per 100,000 people.

Violence in state worst in nation | GreenvilleOnline.com | The Greenville News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 10:58 PM

1,996 posts, read 3,158,204 times
I don't know what to say. What in the world is going on down in SC? Isn't South Carolina relatively prosperous, compared to Michigan?

And what is this statement all about?: "a populace used to solving problems with knives and bullets" Since when? And what is the make-up of this "populace"?

Old 11-11-2008, 02:23 AM

25 posts, read 92,436 times
South Carolina is a weird place. The racial make up of the state is about 62% white, 30% black so they can quit saying Detroits problems are because of it's black majority. But, we have 2 problems here. Rednecks and illegal aliens. The rednecks here are hot tempered and ignorant. They solve everything by getting drunk and fighting. We are also being heavily invaded by Mexican gangs. We have Los Familia here among others.

The state is poor. Wages are low and the workers still have the textile mill mentality. To give you an idea of the difference, we have no unions here. We have a BMW assembly plant in my town that makes the X-5 from beginning to end. The assembly line workers average about $19 an hour, the temp workers (which there are a bunch of) make $14 an hour. Employers around here when minimum was was $5.15 thought $7 an hour was an excellent job. People in Detroit would be totally shocked how many jobs around here to start at minimum wage which is the federal $6.55 an hour. We also have very low budget media that does not inform people of what really is happening and to be honest looking at the mentality here people really don't care until it happens to them. One of the many reasons I feel I'm prepared for Detroit.

Old 11-11-2008, 12:46 PM

214 posts, read 1,061,212 times
We also have very low budget media that does not inform people of what really is happening and to be honest looking at the mentality here people really don't care until it happens to them.

We have this also if people hear gunshots they will not even get up to see what happens or call the police(they wont come anyways).

Every crime site you look at shows detroit has a higher per capita crime rate than Greenville. There was a triple murder monday night and a dead women in a factory who was brutally killed.

Woman's Body Discovered In Detroit

Detroit police investigating three shooting deaths

While I do believe SC has many problems I doubt its as bad as here.

Old 11-24-2008, 01:15 PM

98 posts, read 480,812 times
SC aint nowhere on Detroit's Level...here, we have multiple slayings almost every other day that don't even make the local news because it happens so much it's not even news anymore.

Old 11-24-2008, 03:22 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Not fair. We want to be tops in SOMETHING. Why do you Columbians feel that you have to try to best Detroit in everything?

Old 11-24-2008, 09:29 PM

14 posts, read 195,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkue View Post
SC aint nowhere on Detroit's Level...here, we have multiple slayings almost every other day that don't even make the local news because it happens so much it's not even news anymore.

You do not know that to be a fact at all. What do you base that on? You probably live in Rochester Hills, Detroits murder rate is lower than it has been in years. Myrtle Beach SC has more petty crime than detroit. You make it sound like Mr. White collar is being gunned down and jacked on his way to work. There are not multiple homicides every OTHER day in Detroit, this isnt miami dade 1980. And the murders are black on black drug crime. It has nothing to do with the safety of the average civilian.

Old 11-25-2008, 05:38 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,519,025 times
Rid - an intellectually dishonest and misleading post. First you use one crime example as a basis for a place having the most crime. I saw the NBA's Oklahoma Thunder win a game - they must be the best team ( they lost their next 11 or so). My neighbor had a Yugo that worked fine - it must be the best car. Bush once read his teleprompter correctly without stuttering - Bush must be America's best reader.

Even worse you then used South Carolina's crime statistics as a STATE and made believe its the same as comparing cities with cities. Michigan as a state has less crime than Detroit does per capita because rural areas, unpopulated areas all have way less crime than cities?

Misleading and dishonest thread - just to get attention.

Old 11-26-2008, 12:03 AM

98 posts, read 480,812 times
Mrservon, no homie, you got me wrong! first of all I'm a Detroiter born and bred so let that be clear. You might be the one living in Rochester Hills. If you think I'm getting my facts wrong go look up all the news article from 2007 and 2008 and you'll see what i'm talking about. What I meant to say was that a multiple slaying in Detroit is noting anymore because it's like old news, for instance last year 5 people was murdered on Runyon Ave(D12's Hood) in a dope house and the next day two pepole was shot dead on the other side of town while playing cards on the porch. A week later 2 adults and a child was shot to death on the westside. In october 2008, 3 people were shot dead on 7mile and prairie. The next week, by joy rd two men was gunned down and the following month 2 more men was killed on the eastside by shoennher and 8mile. I know what i'm talking about. Yes, Detroit's murder rate has fallen over the years but it still rank in the top 5 the last 10years. I'm not trying to make it seem as if Detroit is so much worst that SC but I'm not saying it to just say it. It's in the papers when the locals news don't show it.

Last edited by mrkue; 11-26-2008 at 12:18 AM..

Old 11-26-2008, 03:24 PM

14 posts, read 195,201 times
mrkue, Exactly my point all those murders you mentioned are drug related black on black crime. And as for the ones with the children or that grandma that got burned sleeping in her house a couple weeks ago out there is just retaliation for some other ignorant fool who probably ripped off someone. If your not not involved with illegal activity then the odds of being mugged or killed are no worse than any other city
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit