Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 07:09 PM

22 posts, read 230,662 times

Advertisements

Detroit is known for crime, but so is every other major city. Only the natives in any city know where you can go at night and where you can't. If Michigan/Detroit ran into a ton of cash (say 700 billion ) there would still be lots of crime. Every goofy cop show since the 70's has New York City as part of a main script. Heck, that's where most international business is done as far as the U.S. goes and I don't belive they are hugging and kissing in the streets. Obviously I'm from Detroit, but I wouldn't know what to do if you stuck me in L.A. I think I might run into some bad situations until I learned the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2008, 07:25 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,518,634 times
Ok so you're admiting you havent been to many other cities but you say they are all the same. It doesn't matter to you if say Detroit had 10 times as many murders as El Paso ( adjusted for population difference) it wouldnt matter to you because not having read any numbers and never having been to many other places, you just FEEL they are all the same.

El Paso might have one 10 sq block area that some - not all- would say they wouldn't walk at night. Detroit might be the opposite, 10 sq blocks one can walk at night -the rest stay away.

"every other city..is known for crime" Really, even all those cities you know nothing about? Do you think CRIME when you hear San Francisco? Seattle? might they not be known for something else?

Yes there is crime in every major city but its the DEGREE of crime that is relevant.

Old 11-23-2008, 07:41 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,915,835 times
Miami is known for its crime, but I've never felt so uncomfortable in Miami like I did in Detroit. Say what you'd like but Detroit is different from the major cities. It has a feeling of dirt, decay and scum. You don't feel like you are in a nice place when you are walking around detroit.

Old 11-23-2008, 07:59 PM

22 posts, read 230,662 times
Reading is fun! Understanding is too! "ALL MAJOR" cities. I have traveled all over this country and Europe too. I have not been to L.A., but most other MAJOR cities. What do you think about Dublin Ireland? or maybe London England? Do you know all the statistics about these places. Comprehending is important; I write that all MAJOR cities are the same is because I have first hand experience. Call the Seattle and San Francisco morgue and get your numbers. I will send you numbers for Dublin and London.

Old 11-23-2008, 08:34 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,822,034 times
I think some of it is perception. A city may be dense with high crime, but if Detroit has the same amount of crime with empty blocks and decaying buildings, Detroit will probably be considered more dangerous by most people.

Old 11-23-2008, 09:52 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,266,417 times
Los Angeles, with a population of 3,834,340 had 390 homicides in 2007.
Detroit, with a popualtion of 916,952 had 383 homicides.

Yeah, all big cities are the same. Detroit is a drain on America.

Old 11-23-2008, 10:14 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,699,990 times
While I am one of Detroit's strongest advocates, it's not fair to ignore the deep problems the city faces by pretending it's the same.

Yes, there is rampant poverty and crime in large parts of Miami, New Orleans, LA, Chicago, New York, Oakland, and DC.

But to walk around DC or Boston or Manhattan or LA or Seattle or even Chicago, there is a HUGE difference.

Old 11-23-2008, 10:35 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,266,417 times
They should just bulldoze they entire city, bring in some deer, moose, foxes (not the kind Quame chases) and other wildlife and call it a day. Aside from Gary and East St Louis, it is the worst city I've ever been in. I take that back, Gary is better than Detroit.

Old 11-24-2008, 12:43 AM

5,812 posts, read 18,822,034 times
East St. Louis has 15,000 people. It may be rough, but not on the scale that parts of Detroit are.

I don't think bulldozing everything is the answer, but maybe if they could move people into the center city, decrease the land mass of the city, and basically start over, it could work, in theory. It would be unfortunate to lose beautiful churches, homes, and school buildings, though.

Old 11-24-2008, 10:19 AM

2,601 posts, read 8,518,634 times
Detroit has great old buildings - that's about the only thing it really has going for it- bulldozing them would be disaster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit