Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-31-2009, 02:07 PM
 
Location: Michigan
937 posts, read 2,825,714 times
Reputation: 414

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scolls View Post
Maybe you're just paranoid. You can stay in your suburban compound. No one is forcing you to come down here. What's funny is, I've lived in Detroit, northern Michigan, and now Harper Woods and the only time I have dealt with crime and had my property stolen was when I lived in northern Michigan.

When did I say it was Little House on the Prairie? I was never a fan of the show, but I don't recall their being G Body Monte Carlos on 20's with loud systems cruising Walnut Grove. I guess my neighbors are lucky too since they haven't had their stuff stolen either. Maybe I just picked a lucky block?
Not exactly paranoid, just stating the facts. Glad you haven't had any issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-31-2009, 06:48 PM
 
398 posts, read 1,035,602 times
Reputation: 117
Harper Woods isn't the ghetto, but it has some definite issues.

It borders the highest-crime police precinct in the city of Detroit, and is walking distance to some of the worst blocks in the city. Have you seen 7 Mile-Hayes lately?

And while Harper Woods is still decent, I fear for it's future. It has gone from almost entirely white to majority black in just a few years, which is obviously indiciative of massive upheaval in the community.

Most people who have moved in are decent folks, but there are definite concerns about decline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2009, 07:12 PM
 
Location: Huntington Woods, MI
1,742 posts, read 3,983,299 times
Reputation: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito57 View Post
Harper Woods isn't the ghetto, but it has some definite issues.

It borders the highest-crime police precinct in the city of Detroit, and is walking distance to some of the worst blocks in the city. Have you seen 7 Mile-Hayes lately?

And while Harper Woods is still decent, I fear for it's future. It has gone from almost entirely white to majority black in just a few years, which is obviously indiciative of massive upheaval in the community.

Most people who have moved in are decent folks, but there are definite concerns about decline.

It isn't majority black yet and I have no idea how that's relevant?

If you actually condescend to spend time in the neighborhood, you'll learn a few things about the community. Violent crime is still normal, and the city has 11 sex offenders and their ratio of residents to sex offenders is lower than most of the close nit northern communities. Most of the theft, car theft, robberies etc happen at Eastland.

I'll just go on my front porch and make pistol motions with my hand to every black I see and tell them to get off my lawn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2009, 07:14 PM
 
Location: Huntington Woods, MI
1,742 posts, read 3,983,299 times
Reputation: 683
Speaking of 7 and Hayes, my dad lived on Saratoga between Hayes and Morang and moved out in 82 and the area was bad then. Its been bad for quite some time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2009, 10:51 PM
 
Location: Michigan
937 posts, read 2,825,714 times
Reputation: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolls View Post
It isn't majority black yet and I have no idea how that's relevant?

If you actually condescend to spend time in the neighborhood, you'll learn a few things about the community. Violent crime is still normal, and the city has 11 sex offenders and their ratio of residents to sex offenders is lower than most of the close nit northern communities. Most of the theft, car theft, robberies etc happen at Eastland.

I'll just go on my front porch and make pistol motions with my hand to every black I see and tell them to get off my lawn.
Yes, actually it is majority black. If you'd look at crime stats, you'd see Robberies have gone way up, thefts, auto thefts, rapes, etc. The city USED to have a low crime index, but as those from Detroit moved in, the crime rate has risen and has an unbelievably high crime index. Not all of that happens at Eastland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2009, 11:46 PM
 
398 posts, read 1,035,602 times
Reputation: 117
To be honest, I don't for sure if Harper Woods is majority black right now, but if not, it will be very soon. Same goes for Eastpointe.

Every white person I knew who used to live in Harper Woods or Eastpointe has left in the last 10 years.

And when I drive around there, I mostly see black folks.

Now I'm sure the vast majority of the people moving in are good folks, but we all know what happens in metro Detroit when you get white flight and resegregation.

7 Mile Hayes/Gratiot today, Harper Woods/Eastpointe tomorrow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2009, 11:49 PM
 
398 posts, read 1,035,602 times
Reputation: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolls View Post
Speaking of 7 and Hayes, my dad lived on Saratoga between Hayes and Morang and moved out in 82 and the area was bad then. Its been bad for quite some time.
I totally agree, but it's gone from bad to horrific. People could still live in most parts of far N.E. Detroit well into the 1980's, and even into the 1990's in some fringe parts (off Mack and near the hospital).

Now, you would have to be insane to willingly live at 7 Mile/Hayes. It looks like one of those apocolyptic zombie movies, with every store burnt out and abandoned, and only the sign of life are staggering crackheads who lunge at your car door (happened to me twice).

And I am someone who is usually not at all intimidated by Detroit (I go downtown all the time, have friends in Detroit, etc.)!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2009, 08:54 AM
 
Location: Huntington Woods, MI
1,742 posts, read 3,983,299 times
Reputation: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtsBees View Post
Yes, actually it is majority black. If you'd look at crime stats, you'd see Robberies have gone way up, thefts, auto thefts, rapes, etc. The city USED to have a low crime index, but as those from Detroit moved in, the crime rate has risen and has an unbelievably high crime index. Not all of that happens at Eastland.

I must have picked the luckiest block in Harper Woods. My block is at least 70% white, and I live by the school and at least 60% of the kids are white.

These same conditions then apply to Grosse Pointe Park. You think being by Alter and Jefferson is better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2009, 08:55 AM
 
Location: Huntington Woods, MI
1,742 posts, read 3,983,299 times
Reputation: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito57 View Post
I totally agree, but it's gone from bad to horrific. People could still live in most parts of far N.E. Detroit well into the 1980's, and even into the 1990's in some fringe parts (off Mack and near the hospital).

Now, you would have to be insane to willingly live at 7 Mile/Hayes. It looks like one of those apocolyptic zombie movies, with every store burnt out and abandoned, and only the sign of life are staggering crackheads who lunge at your car door (happened to me twice).

And I am someone who is usually not at all intimidated by Detroit (I go downtown all the time, have friends in Detroit, etc.)!

I lived at 8 Mile and Schoenherr till 1999 and when I left it was still a fantastic neighborhood. It was safe, the neighbors were friendly and majority white.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2009, 02:58 PM
 
Location: Waterford & Sterling Heights, Michigan
339 posts, read 971,455 times
Reputation: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito57 View Post
Harper Woods isn't the ghetto, but it has some definite issues.

It borders the highest-crime police precinct in the city of Detroit, and is walking distance to some of the worst blocks in the city. Have you seen 7 Mile-Hayes lately?

And while Harper Woods is still decent, I fear for it's future. It has gone from almost entirely white to majority black in just a few years, which is obviously indiciative of massive upheaval in the community.

Most people who have moved in are decent folks, but there are definite concerns about decline.
I have to clarify that I have never been to Harper Woods.
But according to city data HP is 84.9% white, but I do not know how old is that data. Even if it is from 2000 that seems like a very drastic change. I thinks there is not a single community in the metro Detroit area that is not concerned about decline, even in wealthy areas. Every area in the SE has been hit hard in one way or another.
Actually Harper Woods was featured in HGTV's House Hunters a while ago. I do not know how old was that episode but the areas they featured were clean, older neighboorhoods with mature trees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:08 AM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top