Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2009, 06:32 AM

7 posts, read 21,284 times

Advertisements

Thank you all for taking the time to answer my question ahead of time!

My daughter will be 15 and a Sophmore in High School when she moves back home early this summer. I have just relocated from Royal Oak to Ferndale. Our neighborhood is nice w/o any problems. I do however, have one concern; which school to enroll her in?

My oldest son is attending Royal Oak High right now, and overall seems pretty safe despite the one recorded sexual incident that occurred last year. I also know that the police have 'raided' RO High and included dogs in an attempt to purge drugs that run rampant at every high school.

Unfortunately, I know nothing about Ferndale High School. My son continues to go to RO High and will graduate there this year.

My daughter has a tendency to gravitate toward more difficult crowds and if it is necessary to take her to RO High every day, I will do so, but I do not want to make this choice based in fear or prejudice, so any imput, including statistics would be welcomed.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 08:10 AM

181 posts, read 607,463 times
I've always heard that Royal Oak schools are superior to Ferndale. On greatschools.net, Royal Oak High gets a 9, while Ferndale gets a 4.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:44 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,836,872 times
Inlaws live in Ferndale, and ended up moving their kids to Royal Oak schools when the oldest was in about third grade because they weren't happy with Ferndale schools. They're in middle school now and seem to be doing well there.

Old 01-29-2009, 07:03 AM

7 posts, read 21,284 times
Thank you both for replying. GMonkey, thank you for the website and beachmouse, it is always good to have first hand experience. Again, thank you both.

Old 02-15-2009, 08:57 AM

2 posts, read 7,668 times
I graduated from Ferndale High school and has know and family 3 generations graduating from there. My son graduated in 1995 and my youngest about 3 yrears ago. The Principle there is excellent. no nocense. he grew up there went to school there taught when my sibling and I were there and wasthere for my children. The school is safe and not a lot of graffitti . Well kept in all areas. And I hope it stays that way.
An eagle Alumni

Old 02-15-2009, 03:04 PM

902 posts, read 1,926,143 times
I'm a '69 (should have been a '68 grad) and Ferndale was a pretty good school back then in spite of the riots in Detroit at the time and Ferndale had students from neighboring Royal Oak Township was and still is 100% black , but we got along good back then . Royal Oak High School is now a combined High School from Kimball and Dondero right ? I'm not sure how either school district is today , but Royal Oak is a pretty exclusive city now compared to back in the 60's

Old 02-17-2009, 07:48 PM

214 posts, read 725,003 times
Royal Oak > Ferndale

I gradutated from Royal Oak Dondero H.S. in 1999 (which has since become the middle school). Kimball was turned into the single high school for the city in 2004 I think? Anyways the open enrollment brought in some trouble but overall Royal Oak Schools will serve your kids well...much better than Ferndale.

Ferndales close proximity to Detroit makes it less attractive, IMO...especially with the declining value of homes...

Best wishes!

Old 02-17-2009, 08:57 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,945,533 times
Graduated FHS. Liked it ok, but RO has the much better reputation in alot of areas.

No question in my mind that I would not send my children to Ferndale Schools. I have many friends and family there and there has been nothing but problems with their kids, especially once they hit HS.

JMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
View detailed profiles of: