Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 06:15 PM

16 posts, read 77,033 times

Advertisements

I've been to Detroit quite a few times and have always been curious as to why most of Metro Detroits freeways are below ground. What was the reason for this? I'm not saying its bad, its just kind of different that's all. Not only that, but the frontage roads that "rim" the freeways are nice as well; I wish more cities had implemented this type of freeways and frontage road design.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 06:23 PM

30,702 posts, read 79,372,236 times
I am not sure of the reason, but below grade freeways help control noise. The noise mostly goes up and not to the sides. However it can present a problem with flooding. I have not used the lodge regularly in over 20 years. Does it still flood so as to be impassible from time to time?

Old 01-12-2009, 07:49 PM

866 posts, read 4,243,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbusnative1985 View Post
I've been to Detroit quite a few times and have always been curious as to why most of Metro Detroits freeways are below ground. What was the reason for this? I'm not saying its bad, its just kind of different that's all. Not only that, but the frontage roads that "rim" the freeways are nice as well; I wish more cities had implemented this type of freeways and frontage road design.
Noise is the big reason, when they were building all of the freeways in the built up city and inner suburbs it was all going through neighborhoods, thus they wanted it to be as quiet as possible. This way of building freeways is really only seen in built up areas as I said, such as 1-696 the lodge, I-94 through Detroit, etc.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:01 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,035,245 times
Another benefit of below-ground freeways is that it's easier to build small bridges over them for local roads.

Old 08-02-2010, 08:29 PM

20,894 posts, read 19,360,934 times
To show what a difference it makes, they have begun putting up walls in areas where the freeways were not as deep, like I-94 north of 8 Mile Road. Not sure why this stretch was not originally built as deep as elsewhere (cheaper, maybe?).

[Hope no one minds me digging up these old threads. ]

Old 08-02-2010, 08:32 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,083,409 times
I don't mind a bit, I love the atmosphere of driving on the lodge, 696, etc. when it's at its deepest, it feels more like you're flying through a tunnel than a plain interstate.

Old 08-05-2010, 01:02 PM

97 posts, read 237,667 times
I'm from the Detroit area, and the freeway system is operated like this; for one, notice the names of the freeways, FOrd Freeway, Chrysler Freeway, and James Couzens Freeway, just an example. These are all named after someone who had an affiliation with cars, perhaphs founders. Detroit definetley has class because Mr. Henry Ford (Ford Freeway) of Highland Park, MI created the car, and today, Motor City is still a city with class. Enjoy Detroit, not crticize it.

Old 08-05-2010, 06:44 PM

30,702 posts, read 79,372,236 times
HEnry Ford actaully did nto create the car. Nor did he invent the assembly line as some people think. What he did do is efficiently apply the assembly line ot the creation of cars and figured out a way to make cars affordable. But you have the right idea.

It is funny however because except the Lodge, I have no idea which freeway has what name. W always call them by numbers (the 75, I96, 696,) Even the lodge is more often the 10 than the lodge. The only exception is Southfiled Freeway. I have no idea what number that has.

One thing that a lot of peoplle do not realize is tht metro Detroit has an execellent freeway system. It is very well designed, until recently very well maintained and handles our traffic very well. (Except the 75 north of Detroit where they simply failed ot anticipate the growth of the area).

Old 08-05-2010, 07:21 PM

20,894 posts, read 19,360,934 times
I never use the names either except for the Lodge (M-10 sounds like a piece of artillery equipment). Who'd want an ugly expressway named after them anyway?

Old 08-06-2010, 10:03 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,874,176 times
The below grade freeways were also nicknamed "Cobo Canals" after an old Detroit mayor. Some of the official names are never used except on an occasional sign: All the change currently in my pocket for whoever can answer this one: What freeway is named the "Christopher Columbus Freeway?" How about the "Detroit Industrial Freeway?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit