Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 06:00 AM

41 posts, read 126,523 times

Advertisements

I'm an 80's child, so unfortunately all that I experienced from the 60's revolutionary times was what I learned in history books or the history channel. The public really packed a punch with their public protests on the war, crooked politics, etc - which is so inspiring, and most of your generation are still around today, but... why so much acquiescence from your generation now?...

Not trying to be offending, but curious as to why that spark died out?...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 07:28 AM

282 posts, read 1,168,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curliq View Post
I'm an 80's child, so unfortunately all that I experienced from the 60's revolutionary times was what I learned in history books or the history channel. The public really packed a punch with their public protests on the war, crooked politics, etc - which is so inspiring, and most of your generation are still around today, but... why so much acquiescence from your generation now?...

Because it burned us out. A lot of us gave up a part of our life to push for change. Cops busting your head,parents not understanding and busting your chops and you still had to go to school or work.....
I have/had a lot of friends that are dead now b/c of that time.
I don't think I'll survive the year myself.I'm only 55.
STEP UP. Fight for right. It's up to you now..........

Old 02-06-2009, 07:56 AM

Quote:

Because it burned us out. A lot of us gave up a part of our life to push for change. Cops busting you head,parents not understanding and busting your chops and you still had to go to school or work.....
I have/had a lot of friends that are dead now b/c of that time.
I don't think I'll survive the year myself.I'm only 55.
STEP UP. Fight for right. It's up to you now..........

Old 02-06-2009, 07:57 AM

Default which is so inspiring,

Thank you........

Old 02-06-2009, 08:27 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,061,719 times
Quote:
Disgraced Detroit mayor seeks new life in Dallas | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Local News: TV (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/localnews/tv/stories/wfaa090203_wz_kwame.17be5d88.html - broken link)

"Disgraced Detroit mayor seeks new life in Dallas"
Thanks for posting the link.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:38 AM

41 posts, read 126,523 times
Thank you, zakian, for your honest answer, and I'm sorry to hear of your friends that have passed on.

I, along with many of my friends, have been laid off recently, and we are all feeling mounting frustration with our current economic/political climate. We do have that nagging urge to "STEP UP", and march our unemployed behinds up and down Wallstreet and DC - but we're desperately scrambling around, searching high and low for employment while retraining ourselves for the so-called High-Demand jobs. I'll admit it, the most I've done is vote.

While it's been called the Great Equalizer, I believe the internet has ironically stunted my generation's ability to get out there and be heard. Instead of vigorously holding up protest signs, our fingers inaudibly tap out opinions and lamentations on keyboards. This is why I admire your generation - you had that special something that we are failing miserably in.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Thank you, zakian, for your honest answer, and I'm sorry to hear of your friends that have passed on.

I, along with many of my friends, have been laid off recently, and we are all feeling mounting frustration with our current economic/political climate. We do have that nagging urge to "STEP UP", and march our unemployed behinds up and down Wallstreet and DC - but we're desperately scrambling around, searching high and low for employment while retraining ourselves for the so-called High-Demand jobs. I'll admit it, the most I've done is vote.

While it's been called the Great Equalizer, I believe the internet has ironically stunted my generation's ability to get out there and be heard. Instead of vigorously holding up protest signs, our fingers inaudibly tap out opinions and lamentations on keyboards. This is why I admire your generation - you had that special something that we are failing miserably in.

I'm embarassed.It wasa different time.PLEASE understand.
We didin't have computers.It wasn't easy like today........
I'm sorry. You wanna be like it was??????????
STEP UP.
I don't know what else to tell you.
Put up the effort like we did.

Old 02-06-2009, 01:15 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Will he have to come back for his prison term for accepting bribes from the sludge guys? Or maybe he can just do his time in Texas. Let them pay for the Greaseball's support.

Old 02-06-2009, 01:28 PM

93,188 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:

I will say this...I think that people underestimate the power of the internet. You'll be surprised by how many people read comments that are on boards like this. You can actually inspired people through the internet in a way that is similar to the way people did by picketing in the 60's and 70's.

With so many people using the internet now and the many outlets available to people through advances in technology, don't ever think that you are not making a difference. It's all about how you use the resources available to you. It just takes someone to Google a topic or to research information for them to come across your opinions and ideas.

Old 02-06-2009, 10:49 PM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
kwommie left in a chartered jet.

his mom was 'proud (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/tx/6247083.html - broken link)' to pay for it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit