Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2009, 10:38 PM

5 posts, read 20,062 times

Advertisements

Hello!
I moved back to MI from AZ for family this past July. I'm certified to teach K-5 in MI...have Bachelor's in Early Childhood Education from AZ. Does anybody know somebody that does hiring in education/daycare/Montessori that you could refer to me? I'm willing to relocate anywhere in MI. We took the huge step (and a major loss of good jobs) to move back here, and I hate to leave again without giving the job search a final try.
Thank you for your help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 08:18 AM

30,701 posts, read 79,330,237 times
It is not difficult to find substitute teaching positions, but the pay is not very good. Several districts are considering offering one time only retirment bonuses to older and more expensive teachers to get them to retire this year and opent he door for less expensive younger teachers. You may want to look into that before you make any decisions. If they go ahead with this plan and if it works, then there should be jobs opening up for younger teachers soon. If you are an older teacher, they probably will nto be interested. Every district is looking to cut back and hiring younger teachers is one way to do that.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:41 AM

1,039 posts, read 3,440,476 times
From my observation, getting a job teaching at the primary/secondary level is getting similar to the post-secondary level. The people I've seen get good jobs in MI taught as a sub first in that district or was a full-time teacher at a local parochial school. Either way, you need to make contacts. At the university level, you can usually lean more on your degree and publications, which is not the case for you. This makes networking all the more important. If possible, don't look at the compensation of the job so much, but how you fit in. Even if it pays crap and has no benefits, see if you like your colleagues and they like you. Going back to your old district is one way that often leads to a permanent home. If you think long term like this and place yourself in the right situation, you'll have a much better shot at a full-time gig. Good luck.

Old 02-11-2009, 06:52 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,041,736 times
As a special education teacher (K-12) I haven't found much at all in the past 2-3 years...

Preparing to move to NC where I found like 100s of SpEd positions.

Old 02-11-2009, 07:09 PM

5 posts, read 20,062 times
Thank you for the great ideas about networking! Im working as a Teacher's Aide in a charter school and love it, but don't make enough and am not getting benefits. I was/am hoping to secure a teaching position there, but there's so much competition, and only one teaching position opening next year... so I'm not holding out much hope for getting in. I wish I could afford the sub route, but I can't get by much longer on little income and no benes.

Questions: Do you know which school districts in MI are paying off their older teachers?

I am also looking into NC for a teaching job...filling out an app as we speak!

Thank you all for your help!

Old 02-11-2009, 08:16 PM

Check the county ISD sites. Most have a consortium set up with most districts that have jobs posted there.

RESA for Wayne county

Oakland County ISD and even Macomb and Livingston have postings of any openings.

Not sure which districts are buying out older teachers..may be the ISDs can tell you if any are preparing to do that??

Also, last resort, try the charter schools

MAPSA click on the "JOBS" at the upper right border...

Though I am the first to suggest STAYING out of charters just because benefits and PAY are generally sub-standard and few teachers are kept around once they make a few steps on the pay scale..just personal experience having been through 3 charters...

BEST OF LUCK

and don't settle for less than the position you deserve..

selling yourself short creates regrets..

again from experience....

Old 02-13-2009, 08:33 AM

30,701 posts, read 79,330,237 times
I asked my wife who subbed for a year or so. She said that a couple of districts asked he if she was certified and then asked her to get certified. They liked her and wanted her to be a regular teacher. That is obviously the way to get an "in" for a job. It is unclear whether they wanted her for a full time or part time position though. She was told that lots of districts are hiring part time to reduce costs.

Keep in mind that subbing pays basically minimum wage, you never know when you will or will not have work, and you have to be on call at 5:30 a.m. If you say "no" to requests too often, you will stop getting calls.

Old 02-14-2009, 11:21 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,676,370 times
I wouldn't call this a job lead, exactly, but I've heard that some of the cash-strapped school districts are finally starting to talk about early-retirement packages for the higher-paid teachers. That should open up some jobs. But The only teaching position I've seen advertised in ages was last Sunday in downtown Detroit, meaning that you already have 700 applicants in line ahead of you.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:10 AM

Smile Waiting for those stimulus $$

Not sure if it will even make a difference, but MAY BE the stimulus money will open up some teaching jobs.

Or if anyone will be able to wait. It is just February and most schools will not start reviewing opening until April or so when teachers start putting in retirements then all the internal bids/bumping is done.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:38 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,676,370 times
THIS can't bode well, I'm afraid. Yikes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
View detailed profiles of: