Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 12:08 AM

3 posts, read 24,521 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I will be moving to Detroit in a couple of months and would appreciate some advice about areas to live in.

What is the New Center area like (around Henry Ford Hospital and Fisher Bldg) in terms of safety? I am considering living there since it will be very close to work. I understand there isn't much to do around there, but other than that, say if I return to my apt late at night, will I run into problems?

I am relocating from California... which is one of the reasons I am not super eager to commute every day, not having driven in snow in the past. BUT if New Center is really not that safe (for a single female) then I will look for a place in the suburbs.

Also, I understand that traffic on 75 from the Royal Oak area to Detroit is pretty bad... when do things start getting bad in the mornings?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2007, 02:33 PM

3,120 posts, read 8,041,930 times
Best advice is to keep out of Detroit. Almost the entire city if not the entire city is an impoverished high-crime ghetto. Also, the City of Detroit itself has a income tax. I know that all large cities have ghettos, but Detroit is different; it really is that bad. With the exception of an entertainment district, Wayne State University, and a few nice buildings downtown the city really doesn't have any redeeming or worthwhile qualities. Also, Detroit is one of the (if not the) most segregrated metropolitian areas in the U.S., which should tell you something. Very few white people live in the city and some of those who do might be forced to live there because of city government jobs (firefighters, police).

I take it that you either found a decent job here or you're being transferred? You might want to rent a while before looking for a house; it might be better to wait for housing market to hit rock bottom before buying (and I think the price decreases have only just started).

Old 03-24-2007, 02:08 PM

5 posts, read 23,955 times
Unhappy Stay away

Do yourself a favor and stay in California, Detroit is the worst possible place to live in the U.S. very unsafe new center area is BAD!!!!

Old 03-25-2007, 03:50 PM

40 posts, read 364,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkly View Post
Hi,

I will be moving to Detroit in a couple of months and would appreciate some advice about areas to live in.

What is the New Center area like (around Henry Ford Hospital and Fisher Bldg) in terms of safety? I am considering living there since it will be very close to work. I understand there isn't much to do around there, but other than that, say if I return to my apt late at night, will I run into problems?

I am relocating from California... which is one of the reasons I am not super eager to commute every day, not having driven in snow in the past. BUT if New Center is really not that safe (for a single female) then I will look for a place in the suburbs.

Also, I understand that traffic on 75 from the Royal Oak area to Detroit is pretty bad... when do things start getting bad in the mornings?

These links should help you:

New Center Visiting Guide
http://www.modeldmedia.com/features/ncvisiting.aspx

New Center Moving Guide
http://www.modeldmedia.com/features/ncmoving.aspx

New Center Investing Guide
http://www.modeldmedia.com/features/ncinvesting.aspx

And most importantly, welcome to Michigan!

Old 03-27-2007, 03:50 PM

3 posts, read 24,521 times
Thanks for the info!

Also, as far as commuting from the suburbs, based on other posts, is it true that the commute to New Center on I-96 from Livonia would be easier than on I-75 from Royal Oak? FYI my work hrs are approx 7.30AM to 6PM.

Thanks!

Old 04-24-2007, 06:12 PM

3 posts, read 25,260 times
Default i'm from detroit

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkly View Post
Hi,

as i said.....i'm from detroit. i regret that i'm not able to defend the city from the replys you've received thusfar. i'm looking to get out too. and yes i'm black. i prefer your safe travels rather than defend the city.

Old 04-24-2007, 06:24 PM

3 posts, read 25,260 times
Default intresting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaalspawn View Post
Best advice is to keep out of Detroit. Almost the entire city if not the entire city is an impoverished high-crime ghetto. Also, the City of Detroit itself has a income tax. I know that all large cities have ghettos, but Detroit is different; it really is that bad. With the exception of an entertainment district, Wayne State University, and a few nice buildings downtown the city really doesn't have any redeeming or worthwhile qualities. Also, Detroit is one of the (if not the) most segregrated metropolitian areas in the U.S., which should tell you something. Very few white people live in the city and some of those who do might be forced to live there because of city government jobs (firefighters, police).

I take it that you either found a decent job here or you're being transferred? You might want to rent a while before looking for a house; it might be better to wait for housing market to hit rock bottom before buying (and I think the price decreases have only just started).
intresting quote. but how about this one? i'm a black male, detroit firefighter with family in-tow i'm moving out for the many reasons you stated, including the segregration. i prefer my children to grow up knowing many cultures, but one of the places i've looked at moving to is highland, mi. where the population of 9000 people is roughly 8600 white 24 black. should i have any concerns?

Old 04-25-2007, 11:39 PM

3,120 posts, read 8,041,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bambam48206 View Post
intresting quote. but how about this one? i'm a black male, detroit firefighter with family in-tow i'm moving out for the many reasons you stated, including the segregration. i prefer my children to grow up knowing many cultures, but one of the places i've looked at moving to is highland, mi. where the population of 9000 people is roughly 8600 white 24 black. should i have any concerns?
You'll have a long commute. It would take about an hour to get downtown if you drive in the morning and now it must be worse since the Lodge is closed. Can't say whether or not you'd be subject to discrimination by all of the whites and your children might feel they don't fit in in school. There are KKK-types everywhere I suppose. It sounds like the City no longer requires employees to live there.

Old 04-26-2007, 10:27 AM

3 posts, read 27,658 times
Default Please Visit First!

As a former Detroiter, I would not advise you to live in the New Center area, or for that matter, anywhere within the city limits of Detroit. It is not safe after dark (or before dark, for that matter). Traffic on 75 usually gets pretty heavy by 7:00 AM and doesn't let up in the evenings until after 6:30. I would advise you to visit first. Go and stay in a hotel for a few days and check out the traffic flows for yourself. Drive around the New Center area in the evening - if you don't feel safe driving, you sure won't feel safe walking. Some of the Detroit suburbs are nice, and they're all very different, so explore a bit and find the type of neighborhood you like, but in any event, be prepared for a fairly long commute. Best of luck in your new job.

Old 04-26-2007, 10:32 AM

3 posts, read 27,658 times
Default One More Thing...

Sorry...I forgot to address your 2nd question. Yes, the commute on 96 is faster than 75.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit