Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 05:24 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,649,290 times

Advertisements

I need some honest advice - no blind boosterism and no panning Detroit. I know what Detroit is and I know what it isn't.

I've lived in the vibrant cities of the East Coast and I'm now starting a new business. While Brooklyn seems to be the most logical choice (we need some raw loft space to live / work), I can't shake the lure of Detroit.

My ancestors played a big part in building the city and it's just always intrigued me in its open canvas of opportunity and rather raw subculture.

I'm wondering, though, whether there is actually a strong creative scene in the city or whether it's just hype. Are there people who really think outside the box creating some cool ideas or is it more of a depressed creative culture that feels trapped and isolated?

I'd be one of those people that Model D company is lusting after - the educated young professional bringing new ideas and products into an empty corner of the city. I'd be happy to fall into that stereotype, even though I hate the fact that Detroit is highways without much transit. I just want to make sure I wouldn't regret it or find myself being dragged down by a closed and bitter culture. I've experienced both in my time in Detroit. I just can't tell which one is dominant.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2009, 03:38 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,542,460 times
Fanatics will claim that there are great opportunities for artists in Detroit. But, use your common sense and look at the city as a whole. Where is the creativity? Perhaps the parking pad on Belle Isle? Or, maybe it's within the miles and miles of asphalt and grass. Or, perhaps it could be found on a strip mall? Please, this is a city where people don't walk and don't mingle. How can art prosper?

Old 02-21-2009, 10:58 PM

60 posts, read 272,817 times
Hi Bluefly. I can't speak for Detroit, but have you thought about Hamtramck? There are plenty of bars and restaurants, and foreclosed properties on the main drag with attached living space. There are some interesting things going on in the neighborhood directly north of Hamtramck in Detroit too. You're welcome to take a walk with me sometime and I'll show you around.

Old 02-22-2009, 12:05 AM

1,107 posts, read 3,058,092 times
A great art piece would be statues of people (Metro Detroit residents) shackled too Cars with frustrated looks expressed on their face. It would represent the pain a suffering we have on only being dependent on one transportation mode and as well one industry.

Hows that for Creativity?

Old 02-27-2009, 12:27 PM

968 posts, read 2,579,834 times
Ferndale, Royal Oak, Birmingham, Rochester are all better places to find what you're searching for. All area suburbs of Detroit.

Old 02-27-2009, 01:37 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,676,370 times
I'm sure the art scene in the Detroit area has the same hunted, harassed feeling everyone in Michigan has these days, but it's still there. Start hanging out by the Center for Creative Studies, the pottery and jewelry studios, the jazz clubs and festivals. Chat up the curators at the DIA. Go scoping for tiny pigs at Pewabic Pottery. You'll find what you're looking for. In fact, the art scene anywhere could probably use a shot in the arm from someone with your positive outlook. What city deserves it more than Detroit?

I have to agree with the Hamtramck recommendation, if only so you can visit Whiskey In The Jar and view, with awe and wonder, the Rat-A-Lope.

Old 02-27-2009, 01:41 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,649,290 times
Thanks everyone.

I have considered Hamtramck - but just seemed kind of in no man's land alone between downtown and the suburbs. Seems like you have to get in your car a lot there. One lure of the downtown area is you can realistically walk or People Move throughout the Midtown / Eastern Market / downtown areas. I'll look closer at Hamtramck, though.

I know Ferndale, Royal Oak, Birmingham, and Rochester well enough to know they're not what I'm looking for. They're rather institutionalized, safe suburban cultural scenes. No real energy, a lot of driving. I like a city with Detroit's problems and potential, even if I find myself keeping one eye on the road looking for broken glass. Thus, the phrase "urban pioneer".

Old 02-27-2009, 10:59 PM

28 posts, read 85,160 times
Bluefly...You seem like a smart person, so apologies if this seems obvious to you.

I think I get what you mean by a creative scene...a vibrant, engaging community of entrepreneurs, businesspeople, and other ambitious types making connections, money, and a better world. I used to be part of a group like that in Chicago...while it was billed as a networking group, it was 20and30somethings getting together once every eight weeks to talk about new projects, new ideas, and ways to improve their lives and others. I used the word already, but "vibrant" is the perfect word to describe these meetings. Usually at least 200 people.

These people exhibited the go-get-'em attitude that is a fair steroetype of Midwesterners. They were changing the world, one google at a time, and they were enjoying doing it. I don't know what kind of experiences you had in NY or DC or Philly or wherever you lived out East, but it's really difficult to see that same sort of spirit taking shape in Detroit or any of its suburbs. You know as well as anyone that there is a creative culture here, particulary in music, but it's never struck me as entrepreneurial or overly spirited in nature...and it's always felt more rebellious than artistic...more Eminem than Dr. Dre.

This ultimately isn't a fair thing to say right now, as I haven't lived in the Detroit area for seven years (although I'm moving back next month). But I've visited enough and have enough friends here to know that, as you said in another post, people become "old men" pretty quickly here, and to think about the people from high school who have stuck around...well, they have occupations in landscaping and construction.

I hope I'm off base and you find members of Richard Florida's creative class if and when you return
here. All the best.

Old 02-28-2009, 11:38 AM

60 posts, read 272,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Thanks everyone.

I have considered Hamtramck - but just seemed kind of in no man's land alone between downtown and the suburbs. Seems like you have to get in your car a lot there.
Hamtramck is more like the center of everything. My husband commutes to Downtown Detroit on a bicycle when the weather is nice in less than 30 minutes. I can find almost everything I need within walking distance of my house and rarely drive.

Old 03-01-2009, 07:04 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,166,649 times
You might want to check out the group "Detroit Synergy" if you haven't yet, they are active with regular events. There are others like you working to create a vibrant city where both culture and business can flourish.

Detroit Synergy - About (http://detroitsynergy.org/about - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit