Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 01:22 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaHuey View Post
I have been to every major city that has a professional sports team. Detroit's suburbs are in the bottom third, and that's being generous.
So have I. You are just showing your dislike for Michigan with that statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 02:40 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,600,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
So have I. You are just showing your dislike for Michigan with that statement.
Just being factual.

At least you have stopped your name-calling.

I like some aspects of Michigan a lot, but the suburbs do not compare favorably to most cities. I would never move back. Where I live is the Best Place on Earth; I am fortunate.

Cities that have nicer suburbs (shape of roads, general prettiness, aesthetic appeal, just a top of my head list)

San Diego
Seattle
San Francisco/Oakland
Minneapolis
Kansas City
Dallas
Houston
Atlanta
Tampa/St. Petersburg
Miami
San Antonio
St. Louis
Boston
NYC (if including CT as a suburb)
Pittsburgh
Phoenix
Salt Lake City
Denver
Charlotte
Raleigh/Durham
Nashville
Memphis

Whereas, Detroit has suburbs like: Wayne, Warren, Madison Heights, Southfield, Oak Park, Livonia, Romulus, Downriver, Fraser...that are far more numerous than BH or Birmingham.

Please. Bottom third is probably generous.

Last edited by AlohaHuey; 03-09-2011 at 03:49 PM..

Old 03-09-2011, 03:38 PM

98 posts, read 181,074 times
I have lived here more than Coldjensens would like to think of himself.Anyways,i have not traveled much and that is why i am in this forum.I am not here to put down Michigan.

Old 03-09-2011, 03:49 PM

There are several who have a knee-jerk reaction to any sort of criticism of Michigan, whether or not it's legitimate. Same with the red-white and blue USA defenders...any criticism, and you're a traitor and hate the US.

Old 03-09-2011, 04:26 PM

970 posts, read 2,967,296 times
Quote:
Whereas, Detroit has suburbs like: Wayne, Warren, Madison Heights, Southfield, Oak Park, Livonia, Romulus, Downriver, Fraser...that are far more numerous than BH or Birmingham.

Old 03-09-2011, 04:33 PM

21,097 posts, read 19,694,480 times
Quote:
Just being factual.

I like some aspects of Michigan a lot, but the suburbs do not compare favorably to most cities. I would never move back. Where I live is the Best Place on Earth; I am fortunate.

Cities that have nicer suburbs (shape of roads, general prettiness, aesthetic appeal, just a top of my head list)

San Diego
Seattle
San Francisco/Oakland
Minneapolis
Kansas City
Dallas
Houston
Atlanta
Tampa/St. Petersburg
Miami
San Antonio
St. Louis
Boston
NYC (if including CT as a suburb)
Pittsburgh
Phoenix
Salt Lake City
Denver
Charlotte
Raleigh/Durham
Nashville
Memphis

We're all entitled to our opinion, so I am not trying to convince anyone to change theirs, but one thing to keep in mind is that Detroit has suburbs that have been around for quite awhile so you are likely to find older homes than many of the suburbs of the cities you listed which have grown more in recent decades. If you visited some of the newer Detroit suburbs, I think you would find housing and neighborhoods more similar to the suburbs of the cities listed.

Old 03-09-2011, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
We're all entitled to our opinion, so I am not trying to convince anyone to change theirs, but one thing to keep in mind is that Detroit has suburbs that have been around for quite awhile so you are likely to find older homes than many of the suburbs of the cities you listed which have grown more in recent decades. If you visited some of the newer Detroit suburbs, I think you would find housing and neighborhoods more similar to the suburbs of the cities listed.
True, but:

1. The existing older neighborhoods of Metro Detroit have, IMO, worn a lot more and look worse than neighborhoods of comparable age in other cities, and

2. There are fewer "newer" suburbs that are as nice compared to the cities I listed.

Note I left off places like Chicago, DC, Baltimore, Philly, Las Vegas and LA, which are anout the same or worse than most suburbs in Detroit.

Old 03-10-2011, 01:35 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Quote:
Just being factual.

San Diego - NOPE. Pretty much Just La Jolla
Seattle - Never been there.
San Francisco/Oakland - Oakland? Are you kidding?
Minneapolis - No.
Kansas City - A few decent suburbs, not as many cool places as Detroit.
Dallas - Not at all.
Houston
Atlanta - Well there is Buckhead, and one other neat suburb (do nto recall the name. What else? One or two neat suburbs does not really compete.

Tampa/St. Petersburg
Miami - ??
San Antonio - Have not been there but my Texas relatives tell me that it is awful.

St. Louis - I have only seen the City, not suburbs.

Boston - this depends on what you are looking for. Probably a good cometitor.

NYC (if including CT as a suburb) - Not really comparable. Completely different concept.

Pittsburgh
Phoenix - Not even close. No variety.
Salt Lake City - Not here either
Denver
Charlotte
Raleigh/Durham - This is a good competitor.
Nashville - Yes some really nice suburbs, but not as many and not so much variety.

Memphis - Ummm, ever been there? No chance.

For some reason you seem to want to ignore the fact that Detroit also has suburbs like: The Pointes; Grosse Ile; Plymouth; Northville; Milford; Rochester; South Lyon; Canton, Troy, and Novi (Bland but still nice and easy competiton for the suburbs of most cities); Bloomfield Hills, Birmingham; Wyandotte; Farmington/HIlls; Orchard Lake; Royal Oak; Ferndale; Berkley; Franklin Villiage; Livonia which belongs on the good list unless you are a negative nellie who only considers the bad parts of Livonia (Southern parts); a score of decent places like Riverview, Woodhaven, Walled Lake, Trenton, Dearborn, Southgate, St Clair Shores; Brighton, plus a dozen beautiful villiages and townships (Salem, Dixbourough, Wixom, Willow, etc). Then of course you should probably include Ann Arbor and the surrounding areas since they are really part of Detroit metro, so add Chelsea, Dexter, Saline, Tecumseh, Clinton Twp, Manchester.

I would put Detroit's metropolitan area up against any US City and compare for variety, charm, History, and general quality and Detroit will come out near the top every time. Boston would give us a good run for the money. Charleston SC and Raleigh Durham NC maybe. Not many of the Cities listed in the post above would stand a chance.

Downriver is an example of a bad place? The whole thing? Talking without knowing again? (Obviously). Downriver includes a few questionable cities and, if you include Ecorse and River Rouge, some bad ones.

Old 03-10-2011, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
For some reason you seem to want to ignore the fact that Detroit also has suburbs like: The Pointes; Grosse Ile; Plymouth; Northville; Milford; Rochester; South Lyon; Canton, Troy, and Novi (Bland but still nice and easy competiton for the suburbs of most cities); Bloomfield Hills, Birmingham; Wyandotte; Farmington/HIlls; Orchard Lake; Royal Oak; Ferndale; Berkley; Franklin Villiage; Livonia which belongs on the good list unless you are a negative nellie who only considers the bad parts of Livonia (Southern parts); a score of decent places like Riverview, Woodhaven, Walled Lake, Trenton, Dearborn, Southgate, St Clair Shores; Brighton, plus a dozen beautiful villiages and townships (Salem, Dixbourough, Wixom, Willow, etc). Then of course you should probably include Ann Arbor and the surrounding areas since they are really part of Detroit metro, so add Chelsea, Dexter, Saline, Tecumseh, Clinton Twp, Manchester.

I would put Detroit's metropolitan area up against any US City and compare for variety, charm, History, and general quality and Detroit will come out near the top every time. Boston would give us a good run for the money. Charleston SC and Raleigh Durham NC maybe. Not many of the Cities listed in the post above would stand a chance.

Downriver is an example of a bad place? The whole thing? Talking without knowing again? (Obviously). Downriver includes a few questionable cities and, if you include Ecorse and River Rouge, some bad ones.
Of course, any criticism or difference of opinion clearly means I don't know what I'm talking about...yet, you claim the Detroit suburbs are of quality when, in the post above, you HAVE'N'T EVEN BEEN TO HALF THE PLACES I MENTIONED.

Classic. Who doesn't know what they are taking about?

Troy is a pit. Walled Lake? Please. Novi has seen better days. Chelsea and Saline and Tecumseh etc. aren't a Detroit suburb. Look at friggin' map. Trenton? Please. Brighton a suburb? Is this a joke? Wyandotte? C'mon.

Birmingham, BH, some parts of Farmington Hills, Berkeley/Franklin Hills/Pleasant Ridge, Orchard Lake and Grosse Point are on the short list. Farming communities 60 miles away don't qualify,,,and it's telling you had to go out that far to find any decent comparisons.

I didn't say ALL the suburbs are pits. I said that compared to cities of size, Detroit has fewer of them, in the bottom third of the country. The roads are worn, the shops look old and tired, and there is zero attempt at any sort of community revitalization.

Old 03-10-2011, 04:20 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Quote:
, you HAVE'N'T EVEN BEEN TO HALF THE PLACES I MENTIONED.

Troy is a pit. Walled Lake? Please. Novi has seen better days. Chelsea and Saline and Tecumseh etc. aren't a Detroit suburb. Look at friggin' map. Trenton? Please. Brighton a suburb? Is this a joke? Wyandotte? C'mon.

Birmingham, BH, some parts of Farmington Hills, Berkeley/Franklin Hills/Pleasant Ridge, Orchard Lake and Grosse Point are on the short list. Farming communities 60 miles away don't qualify,,,and it's telling you had to go out that far to find any decent comparisons.

1. Obviosuly, yu haven't been to the other half of them. I doubt that you have been to any of the suburbs to any extent.

2. These are really meaningful and well thought out responses, however since your next response indicates that you know nothing of these places, it is clear why you have nothing to say.

3. So Northville, Brighton, Milford, and South Lyon are farming commuities. If you had been to any of them in the last 20 years, you woudl know how silly this statement makes you sound.

4. Yes. All of these cities are part of Metro Detroit. Lots of people live there and work downtown. Prople from those areas see Detroit as their City. They go to Detroit for theater, sporting events, museum, music, dining and business. Distance does not determine whether or not a place is a suburb, it is the connection and relationship to the place.

Hey, you forgot grosse Ile altogetehr and that is perhaps the nicest of all the suburbs. Of course you cna just dismiss it with a meaningless "Puhhleeese!" along with other communities that you know nothing about.

"Farming communities" . Thank oyu. Now I have my evening snicker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit