Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 04:58 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,705,136 times

Advertisements

Just so long as they don't make the stupid mistake of moving to the suburbs.

People across the country have finally started realizing that stadiums can serve as significant economic engines in urban centers. Just look at what the Verizon Center did for downtown DC. It was put right on top of transit in a downtown neighborhood so it would be most accessible to all.

In contrast, just as everybody was moving sports stadiums back to downtowns the Redskins' put up Fed Ex Field in the middle of nowhere suburbia and it was a disaster.

Let's just hope the Pistons eventually get out of the Palace mistake and head downtown as well. Detroit's finally starting to get a center to itself. I doubt the Ilitches would move out of the city. They are committed to Detroit, unlike most people in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 06:03 AM

902 posts, read 1,926,143 times
It's a pretty well know fact that Mike Illitch would like to build a new arena in the area behind the Fox Theatre/Hockeytown Cafe , and has been buying property in that area for some time now . Just recently , the lease for the Joe ran out and a new 20 year lease would automatically take effect , but Mr. I declined a long term lease and possibly signed something shorter . To me in my opinion tells me what his intentions are . I think parking for the Joe is not good , as are those steps getting inside the Joe . Maybe when the Wings move , the Pistons could move in ?

Old 07-27-2009, 06:11 AM

103 posts, read 344,650 times
Why is it a stupid mistake to move out to the suburbs? After all, it is those suburbanites who are paying the money to see the Wings play, not Detroiters. It is the suburbanites who drive to Detroit for the Tigers, and even for the crappy Lions. Why not start catering to the people who make it possible to have teams around?

I like the idea of using the Silverdome grounds for a new arena. Just like the Palace, it's easily accessible from the highway, and it is convenient for all of the attendees. The money is here, the land is here, the fans are here.

Old 07-27-2009, 06:44 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,446,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalFriday View Post
Why is it a stupid mistake to move out to the suburbs? After all, it is those suburbanites who are paying the money to see the Wings play, not Detroiters. It is the suburbanites who drive to Detroit for the Tigers, and even for the crappy Lions. Why not start catering to the people who make it possible to have teams around?

I like the idea of using the Silverdome grounds for a new arena. Just like the Palace, it's easily accessible from the highway, and it is convenient for all of the attendees. The money is here, the land is here, the fans are here.
First of all, Pontiac is just as big a hellhole as Detroit is, and no one wants to go there for anything anymore.

And second.....it is NOT a convenient location for the entire metro area. It is for you, because you live in Oakland County, but what about fans in Ann Arbor, Wyandotte, Grosse Pointe, and yes, even Detroit itself? Getting to the Pontiac region from those places BLOWS, especially at rush hour. Not gonna happen. The new arena will be downtown.

Old 07-27-2009, 07:09 AM

189 posts, read 522,408 times
Having seen at least a dozen different site plans for something on the Silverdome site in my line of work, and seeing all of them get flushed down the toilet, I can pretty much safely assume that the Wings will not be moving to Potiac. I don't think they should either.

Obviously Ilitch, Ilitch Holdings, and the Ilitch family are heavily invested in Detroit. He may not get along with the powers-that-be in the city, but there's very little chance that he'd turn his back on something that he's embraced all these years.

Let the lease lapse. Build new behind the Fox. As crazy as it sounds to be spending money in Detroit right now, this is one "investment" that could actually bring returns to the city. The Joe is most definitely too outdated for a team that has defined the NHL for the last 20 years.

As for the Joe/Cobo... let that place rot. Once the auto-show moves out to the suburbs (and promptly folds), neither of those places will have a reason to exist. All the bleeding heart nostalgics need something new to whine about now that Tiger Stadium is finally gone. At the rate we're going it'll be 2030 before they finally get around to demo-ing the place, and another thirty years after that before someone decides to invest in that "prime" real estate. Plenty of time to file all the injuctions needed to try and save pieces of it, auction off the tiny seats and huge urinals, and get the city to preserve it as a historic site so that generations of future Detroiters can skate there.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:03 AM

1,107 posts, read 3,071,318 times
Quote:

Traffic is a nightmare around there just a couple hours before game time, there is no walkable downtown area around the venue which does not create a fun atmosphere before and after the games. This goes with any other suburb area since they are not very dense areas.

Old 07-27-2009, 06:49 PM

15,431 posts, read 25,811,329 times
Quote:

Something like Southfield might work, but not Pontiac. That is just too far away for many. I favor keeping them in the city, either at Foxtown or at a renovated JLA. Some, on another site, want it where the old Tiger Stadium used to be. That I don't know about.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:36 AM

398 posts, read 1,040,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
In contrast, just as everybody was moving sports stadiums back to downtowns the Redskins' put up Fed Ex Field in the middle of nowhere suburbia and it was a disaster.

Let's just hope the Pistons eventually get out of the Palace mistake and head downtown as well. Detroit's finally starting to get a center to itself. I doubt the Ilitches would move out of the city. They are committed to Detroit, unlike most people in the area.
Ummm, FedEx Field is the second most profitable NFL stadium. How is it a "stupid mistake"?

And the Palace is the most profitable arena in the nation. It couldn't be more successful. Compare to downtown's JLA, which has no demand for events.

If anything, one could argue that JLA is a mistake.

Old 07-28-2009, 01:18 PM

46 posts, read 163,902 times
Default Profitable does not mean Enjoyable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito57 View Post
Ummm, FedEx Field is the second most profitable NFL stadium. How is it a "stupid mistake"?
FedEx Field is probably so profitable because of the outrageous ticket prices that diehard Redskins fans pay to sit in a terrible stadium and watch a bad team. There is nothing around the stadium and traffic is terrible. It is 1000 times better to go down to DC and see a Caps game after going out to dinner at a nice resturaunt or driving up to Baltimore and seeing a Raven's game then being about to walk to the bars. I also enjoy going to Detroit, getting a burger and beer, then walking over to Comerica or Ford Field (haven't been there for a Lions game otherwise i might have enjoyed it less).

For the sake of all fans, I hope no team ever follows the FedEx Field model ever again.

Old 07-28-2009, 02:26 PM

103 posts, read 344,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman View Post
First of all, Pontiac is just as big a hellhole as Detroit is, and no one wants to go there for anything anymore.

And second.....it is NOT a convenient location for the entire metro area. It is for you, because you live in Oakland County, but what about fans in Ann Arbor, Wyandotte, Grosse Pointe, and yes, even Detroit itself? Getting to the Pontiac region from those places BLOWS, especially at rush hour. Not gonna happen. The new arena will be downtown.
The difference between Pontiac and Detroit is that Pontiac could change. Detroit won't. And the "what about the fans in..." argument just doesn't fly. What about fans in Flint who have to drive all the way down to Detroit? What about the fans in Lansing, or Jackson, or Kalamazoo, or Houghton?

If we want to play fair, let's move everything to Lansing, our capital. And let's start with the State Fair. (Yeah, that's a whole other can of worms I'm willing to open.)

fine - don't put in at the Silverdome. Put it in Macomb County. Put it over by Brighton where all the sprawl has been going. Just put it where the fan base is. It's a disaster to drive to Detroit. I know. I hated every day I drove there to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit