Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 12:06 PM

9 posts, read 54,592 times

Advertisements

Hi I live In Dearborn in a small bungalow, with my husband and 3 kids. We have out grown this house and need more space. We decided we wanted to relocate to find better schools and a bigger house. We both work in or near Detroit and can't go to far therefore are limited. We are a white family and are not predjuce at all,but are not looking to be the minority. We do believe diversity is important, but we also want to live in a safe upper-class neighborhood, and good schools are a must.
If any one can help narrow this list or tell me some information about these cities that would be appericated! We are a young family both my husband and I are in our early 30's. We would like to meet people with young kids and live in a city where the community has "kid friendly" activites.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2009, 12:07 PM

57 posts, read 245,000 times
How about Grosse Pointe? Close to Detroit with great schools. Just a thought if you haven't ruled out the east side. If you have, then out of your choices my pick is Plymouth.

Old 03-05-2009, 12:15 PM

What is Gross pointe like? I have heard things but ... I don't know. Are they snobs? Lol?

Old 03-05-2009, 12:20 PM

It has that reputation, and some of it may be true, but my wife and I recently moved into Grosse Pointe Farms and we love it. Our neighbors are great, kids are outside running around all the time, the city infrastructure is maintained, city services are exceptional and taxes aren't as bad as people claim. Yes, they're somewhat high, but if you look at the millage rates they're actually less than Dearborn. Don't forget the resident parks too. Check out the school ratings. It's a great community and great for kids/families.

Old 03-05-2009, 01:06 PM

Thanks I will consider all of that!I did look a little, but my husband seems to think its not a place for us. He said too much "old money". You said you lived in dearborn?

Old 03-05-2009, 01:32 PM

Yes, my wife and I lived in West Dearborn before moving to the Seattle-metro area and then moving back to Michigan and GPF.

Old 03-05-2009, 01:57 PM

866 posts, read 4,258,309 times
I also like the Grosse Pointes, great schools, beautiful homes and neighborhoods, and it's very close to Detroit and safe.

Old 03-05-2009, 04:17 PM

282 posts, read 1,169,264 times
Default but we also want to live in a safe upper-class neighborhood, and good schools are a must.

Alright. You have the bucks?
If your CHILDREN are your utmost priority move to Canton.Private Catholic school on the west side.Look it up.They were just buiding it by 1997. My boys were registered there. We moved to Ohio. Traffic sucks on Ford Road. Deal with it IF you children are your utmost priority.......

Old 03-05-2009, 05:17 PM

866 posts, read 4,258,309 times
There are all kinds of private schools all over the metro area, Canton's are good, but so are all of the others.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:08 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Why not look at Grosse Ile. It is not far from your current location, has outstanding schools, low crime, loads of family activities and everything else that you are looking for (plus it is an island!).

My next best suggestion would be Plymouth or Grosse Pointe. Both are great places and offer everything that you are seeking. Grosse Pointe is a shorter commute. Plymouth has more going on, a really quaint downtown and is very near Ann Arbor (a great place to be near)

Northville is pretty nice too. South Lyon/Lyon township is also a good option, b ut you are getting into a lengthy commute.

If you are a cookie cutter subdivision/shpopping mall/stip mall kind of person, then Novi and Canton are good choices, but if you look at Canton make sure that you are in the Plymouth Canton school district.

Northern Livonia is pretty nice for families too.

Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit