Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 10:46 AM

9 posts, read 54,412 times

Advertisements

Where exactly is the "good" area in Canton? I hear a lot of mixed messages about Canton. I have been looking for a house and I see you can get a lot for your money there. Why is that? My realtor lives there and swears it is a great place to live, but I believe it's just cause he lives there! I very unsure about it.Is this a city that will be populated with low income low class people in a few yrs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2009, 12:22 PM

339 posts, read 971,122 times
That is weird. I'm not from Canton but have friends that live there and I have never heard of "bad" areas of Canton. I have always been under the impression that it is a nice and safe place to live.

Old 03-06-2009, 01:19 PM

57 posts, read 243,518 times
I don't have intimate knowledge of Canton, but when we were looking the generalization we found was to stay in zip 48187 (the north side), opposed to 48188 and to be within the Plymouth-Canton school district.

Old 03-06-2009, 01:56 PM

Really? I don't know very much about the area. But I do hear mixed opinions abou it. I have heard that closer to Westland is more "shady" than areas closer to Plymouth. But most cities have areas that are more low income than others right? I didn't mean to sound judgmental, I just wanted to know what people mean when they say stay closer to Plymouth....

Old 03-06-2009, 02:00 PM

Thanks thats the general cenus!
Your very helpful! still I have to wonder why are the homes there priced so low in comparison to; lets say Plymouth?

Old 03-10-2009, 05:19 PM

282 posts, read 1,164,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprmom View Post
Where exactly is the "good" area in Canton? I hear a lot of mixed messages about Canton. I have been looking for a house and I see you can get a lot for your money there. Why is that? My realtor lives there and swears it is a great place to live, but I believe it's just cause he lives there! I very unsure about it.Is this a city that will be populated with low income low class people in a few yrs?
Don't buy it. I've seen it built, I lived there,my ex grew up there,I sold those houses when they were being built..............
Stay away.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:41 PM

91,954 posts, read 122,044,192 times
I was going to ask if there is a bad section of Canton? Really?

Old 03-11-2009, 07:54 AM

57 posts, read 243,518 times
I don't think there's really a "bad" area, but there are always more desireable areas within any neighborhood. Also, IIRC, there is a distinct area in Canton with some high power lines running through it. I wouldn't want to live in that spot.

Old 03-11-2009, 01:18 PM

15 posts, read 46,486 times
I moved there last year and I don't see any bad area too. One thing I noticed is that some southern/eastern area of Canton where they have house stock with Westland school board seems to have lower price tag. But I don't see any "bad neighbour" sign in those area.

Also, part of the 48188 area still belongs to Canton-Plymouth school district.

Old 03-15-2009, 08:37 AM

282 posts, read 1,164,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprmom View Post
I use to sell RE when they were building "canton". My ex grew up there.
I bought a house there. I saw ther crap that they made in 6 weeks.
I wouldn't touch canton with a 10 foot pole
STAY out of wayne county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit