Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 06:54 AM

1,933 posts, read 1,825,186 times

Advertisements

The temporary mayor wants to use federal funds stimulus money for this demolition. What a HOOT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 12:26 PM

15,431 posts, read 25,811,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
There are far worse eyesores that they need to remove from Detroit.
Have you actually seen the building in person? I have, and that was 17 years ago. I think tearing it down is actually a good idea.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:11 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Have you actually seen the building in person? I have, and that was 17 years ago. I think tearing it down is actually a good idea.

I see it every day. I have been inside it. It is a classic that cannot be duplicated today. They are no longer capable of building buildings like that anymore, but they can restore them.

I also see empty lots filled with rubble every day. There are plenty of those. Those are easily duplicated. Detroit will never run out of lots filled with rubble and they woudl not be missed anyway. Detroit is quickly running out of classic architecture.

Old 04-09-2009, 06:48 AM

57 posts, read 244,945 times
I'm mixed on the issue. Driving past the Depot makes me sad and furious at the same time. At that moment I tell myself we'd be better off without such an eyesore. However, I'm with CJ. A structure like this cannot be rebuilt. I would absolutely love for it to be restored and put to use in a way that would bring people to the area and help revitalize Corktown. But, if it's allowed to rot for another 5-10 years, I'm not sure there will be anything left to save.

Old 04-09-2009, 06:58 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,351,683 times
Amen to that, brother!

Old 04-09-2009, 04:03 PM

15,431 posts, read 25,811,329 times
Quote:
I see it every day. I have been inside it. It is a classic that cannot be duplicated today. They are no longer capable of building buildings like that anymore, but they can restore them.

I also see empty lots filled with rubble every day. There are plenty of those. Those are easily duplicated. Detroit will never run out of lots filled with rubble and they woudl not be missed anyway. Detroit is quickly running out of classic architecture.
I like your sense of humor.

It's been sitting there for 21 years and no one has restored it. Just when will someone actually do it? 50 years from now? 100? Clean up of the city has to start somewhere. It doesn't have to start there, but it needs to start.

Old 04-09-2009, 04:25 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I like your sense of humor.

It's been sitting there for 21 years and no one has restored it. Just when will someone actually do it? 50 years from now? 100? Clean up of the city has to start somewhere. It doesn't have to start there, but it needs to start.
Give me $150 million and I will restore it right now.

Creating another rubble filled lot is not cleaning up the city. If they had a plan for the site that needed to be built in that location demolition might make sense, but then you can never get it back. The building is holding up fairly well. It is destroyed inside, but it has been like that for years. What they should do is crack down on the owner and make him clean it up, trim the weeds, maintain the fence and dorrs/windows etc to keep out vandals. they can do that now. It woudl cost less than tearing it down. It is not hurting anything sitting there and it the City recovers, that type of building is exactly what will attract people. Why not tear down a couple of dozen of the empty brick/block rectangles with no architectural value whatsoever if they want more rubble filled lots and fewer derilect buildings? Why pick one of the most historic and architecturally significan buildings? Tear down the trash. Keep the treasure. It alsmost seems like they are doing this just to get media attention.

Old 04-09-2009, 05:50 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,282,950 times
Quote:
... It almost seems like they are doing this just to get media attention.
Bullseye. I'd rep you but I can't.

Old 04-10-2009, 12:06 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,071,404 times
The City Council needs to understand that they should only do this as a ploy to force the owner do so something about the building, and that they aren't REALLY going to tear down the building.

Instead the owner (even if he's out of state or out of country) should be harrassed at his residence by Detroit and Michigan officials until he does something.

Old 04-10-2009, 12:11 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,351,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanman13 View Post
Bullseye. I'd rep you but I can't.
Well, I can rep you and I did!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit