Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 05:55 PM

4 posts, read 23,125 times

Advertisements

My husband and I just put in an offer on a home in Ferndale. We've been under the impression, from friends and visiting, that Ferndale is a pretty nice town, rather trendy. I've heard mixed reviews from my co-workers and family and want to make sure we make an informed decision.

The house is located near 8 Mile and Livernois, which is being described to me as a very crime-ridden area. The area appeared nice to us, but being from further north in the state, we want to make sure.

Any impressions about Ferndale as a whole? Areas to stay away from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 06:52 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,902,671 times
Well, it truly depends on what kind of lifestyle you are looking for. I have spent over 40 yrs there so I have seen it change. If there are no kids involved, I think you will be fine. I know quite a few people in that area and they are fine. They walk in the neighborhood in the evening and are not bothered. Downtown area is hopping with many bars, shops, and restaurants. The best part of Ferndale is the NW. Beyond that I would be leery investing in purchasing a home there. MI is hurting right now and you don't want to find out that you would have liked another area more, after the purchase. You could find yourself stuck.

Personally, I think the schools have gone downhill. Doesn't mean they are not doable. I moved before I had children and would not have sent mine there beyond the elementary level-which is ultimately getting worse-according to my friends that have children.

If you have the street name, that would help me help you. DM me if you don't want to share it publicly. (I am actually out in Las Vegas now due to husband's transfer)

Good luck!

Old 09-10-2008, 04:00 AM

214 posts, read 722,348 times
First off if it is near 8 mile dont buy it. I would stay as close as possible to Royal Oak / Pleasant Ridge.

Secondly I wouldnt purchase a home in such a 'trendy' city. Royal Oak and Ferndale saw a lot of growth during the housing bubble that has now popped. Youre only going to lose value (unless its a forclosure) if you purchase now...

Good Luck!

Old 09-11-2008, 07:03 PM

915 posts, read 1,493,148 times
Ditto what ErikU19 said. Don't move near 8 mile. Ferndale is improving, there are a lot of nice homes at 9 Mile or North of there, but you really have to check the neighborhoods before you move.

When I lived at 9/Woodward, it was better than 8 mile, but it was still kind of trashy.

Also, you should know that Ferndale is pretty liberal and open to alternative lifestyles - if that bothers you, it may not be the place for you.

For grocery shopping, you'll want to go north of 9 mile to get away from the stores which have security guards....that was just creepy to be around.

Old 09-11-2008, 11:47 PM

392 posts, read 1,854,539 times
My best friend has lived in Ferndale off and on for over 20 years. She moved back there a few years ago from West Bloomfield cause she missed the friendly neighborhood vibe.
That said she would only consider living north of 9 Mile and west of Woodward, swears that is by far the best area, next would be east of Woodward.

Old 09-15-2008, 11:53 AM

4 posts, read 22,500 times
"stores with security guards" - WHAT?! Come on! I've lived in Ferndale for nearly 10 years and I have no idea what you're talking about! First of all - there aren't any grocery stores north OR south of 9 - they are all directly ON 9 mile. The best one is Western Market, which is incredible - full of organic produce and gourmet eats - and most definitely security guard free! In any event - Ferndale is a tiny city w/ boutique stores. If anyone is looking for a large chain-grocer, they're leaving the city to find the closest Meijer's anyway.

As for "crime-ridden" - that's ridiculous. Livernois, north of 8 mile is a beautiful area. While NW Ferndale is probably the most beautiful, it's also incredibly $$$. There are still deals to be had in the Southwest area. I would be anywhere west of Woodward, then NE Ferndale any day - the yards are larger, the homes are set further back from the street - it's overall nicer than the east side.

Ferndale is an awesome combination of city / urban living with all of the surburban amenities. I couldn't imagine living anywhere else.

Old 09-15-2008, 05:49 PM

All depends what you desire in a neighborhood. Everyone has different needs. Schools have definitely declined in quality. If you don't have a need for schools, you can get by. There is more crime than cities that do not border Detroit, RO Township, Oak Park. I have heard and seen the sad stories and the changes for the worse. This would be true for anyone who has lived anywhere for over 40 years though.

There is a Spartan grocery store-Ferndale Foodland. I think it needs a major overhaul, but it is all they have besides Western Mkt. There are smaller party store types, which maybe the other poster was referring to. If they have guards, I didn't notice, but then again I wouldn't be surprised so it wouldn't even phase me.

I just spoke with one of my close friends who lives on Fielding and Livernois yesterday. Lived there their whole lives-in fact they are in the house he grew up in. They cannot wait to get out of there before their kids start jr. high next year. How about the first grader that brought a gun to school? Roosevelt-right near Pleasant Ridge. Was mad at the teacher for a reprimand given. WTF????

Old 09-17-2008, 11:33 AM

4 posts, read 23,125 times
Thank you for all the feedback. I've heard many people tell us to stay north of 9 and west of Woodward, but the houses in those areas in our price range were definitely not move-in ready. The house we have found and are waiting for acceptance on is a spectacular deal and move-in ready. The neighborhood is very well kept, lots of cute houses, well maintained street, parks at either end: things that, to us, made it feel like an okay neighborhood. My boss, on the other hand, went overboard and told me how the parks will just mean drug deals and prostitution. We would live by the schools, which meant gang members wandering around and more drug deals. No bars on the doors and windows anywhere in that area still meant "get some!" Everything she said was completely negative.

My husband and I are moving from the Davison area, which is very small, so I realize there will be differences. However, no area is free of crime. I grew up in Lapeer and 10 years ago my great friend was murdered. So even in a small, mostly crime-free city, things can happen.

We don't have children, nor do we want any, so schools are not a concern. My main concern was for the safety of myself, my husband, and our belongings. The economy isn't getting any better, which means higher crime rates. But clearly some areas have higher rates of break-ins and theft than others.

Old 09-17-2008, 01:02 PM

You will be fine with no children. Get a dog or an alarm system if you are worried about break-ins. As far as you getting around safely, I don't think it is all that much different anywhere around there.

As long as you are not planning on selling anytime soon, you will be fine.

Good luck!

Old 09-18-2008, 08:35 PM

19 posts, read 91,754 times
If you're street smart then you can live anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit