Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 03:52 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Give me $150 million and I will restore it right now.

Creating another rubble filled lot is not cleaning up the city. If they had a plan for the site that needed to be built in that location demolition might make sense, but then you can never get it back. The building is holding up fairly well. It is destroyed inside, but it has been like that for years. What they should do is crack down on the owner and make him clean it up, trim the weeds, maintain the fence and dorrs/windows etc to keep out vandals. they can do that now. It woudl cost less than tearing it down. It is not hurting anything sitting there and it the City recovers, that type of building is exactly what will attract people. Why not tear down a couple of dozen of the empty brick/block rectangles with no architectural value whatsoever if they want more rubble filled lots and fewer derilect buildings? Why pick one of the most historic and architecturally significan buildings? Tear down the trash. Keep the treasure. It alsmost seems like they are doing this just to get media attention.
That would be great if they can get the owner to clean it up and turn it into something useful. I don't have much hope, though, if it has been sitting there for 21 years. By the way, did they say there were going to tear it down and leave the rubble there? You keep saying that is what will happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2009, 10:10 AM

362 posts, read 1,502,366 times
If they can restore the likes of the Wayne County Courthouse and the Book-Cadillac, etc. then the Depot can SURELY be restored!

An eyesore? Sure it is in its present state. But I remember when it was once a beautiful building. Detroit NEEDS its old historical buildings, not another pile of rubble.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:53 AM

9,399 posts, read 11,147,212 times
Quote:
There are far worse eyesores that they need to remove from Detroit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100LL View Post
Yeah like the City Council
You beat me to it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
no kidding.

why, after 21 years abandonment, is demolishing MCS a priority?
i don't get it.
$$$$$

Detroit is a lost cause as long as power-addled lamebrains are elected to run the place.

Welcome to Zimbabwe West.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:56 AM

9,399 posts, read 11,147,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
The City Council needs to understand that they should only do this as a ploy to force the owner do so something about the building, and that they aren't REALLY going to tear down the building.

Instead the owner (even if he's out of state or out of country) should be harrassed at his residence by Detroit and Michigan officials until he does something.
Rulership by thuggery. Welcome to Germany, circa 1930s.

Old 04-12-2009, 11:15 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,067,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Rulership by thuggery. Welcome to Germany, circa 1930s.
Dwatter: Well, it is the owner's fault. He probably has plenty of money to restore the building, but chooses not to. I would prefer thuggery than to see this beautiful structure be torn down.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:16 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
Dwatter: Well, it is the owner's fault. He probably has plenty of money to restore the building, but chooses not to. I would prefer thuggery than to see this beautiful structure be torn down.
It is my understanding that the building is owned by Manny Moroun. (No idea of the spelling). He owns the ambassador bridge and at least one trucking company. He has plenty of money

Old 04-13-2009, 09:47 PM

67 posts, read 213,791 times
The more buildings knocked down the better. Either the owner should do something with it or knock it down. No one is rushing to detroit to save this building. You people complain when detroit doesn't knock down buildings, and than you people complain and say save the buildings. You know knock the flipping building down. One less place for crack heads and rapists to hang out in.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:50 PM

67 posts, read 213,791 times
Detroit needs police officers, lower crime, better schools, and more businesses like I don't know real grocery stores among other things, and you people are concerned about a 20 odd year old building that needs to be knocked down. Honestly folks these buildings need to be dropped, and like yesterday. it is very rare that a building is restored, and people usually want empty lots not a crumbling old building. its time to knock it down and move on

Old 04-14-2009, 01:52 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,067,064 times
Quote:
It is my understanding that the building is owned by Manny Moroun. (No idea of the spelling). He owns the ambassador bridge and at least one trucking company. He has plenty of money
If anyone on City Council knows some "wiseguys" I hope those "wiseguys" convince Moroun to actually use his money.

Alternatively the Detroit government could selectively enforce whatever seldom-enforced laws exist on Moroun until he cleans up his act.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:13 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beadster View Post
Detroit needs police officers, lower crime, better schools, and more businesses like I don't know real grocery stores among other things, and you people are concerned about a 20 odd year old building that needs to be knocked down. Honestly folks these buildings need to be dropped, and like yesterday. it is very rare that a building is restored, and people usually want empty lots not a crumbling old building. its time to knock it down and move on
If they knocked down some 20 year old buildings, that would be fine. There are plenty around that need demolition. this building is 96 years old and cannot be replaced or matched. They cannot build a building like this no matter how much is spent. This building could be secured if they would enforce their own laws someone will restore it one day. Buildings like this eventually get restored. If they knock it down it cannot be restored, matched or replaced. Why focus on one of the classic gems? There are hundreds of truely worthless buildings that they can tear down if they want rubble filled lots.

Why will it become a rubble filled lot? Because that is what the city of Detrot does. The knock down a building, haul off most of the debris and then never clean it up. It becomes an overgrown lot where contractors and others dump rubble, debris and trash.

Once yu flatten 2/3 of detroit what are you going to do with it?

A plan woudl be nice. Detroit has had enough "ready, fire, aim" policy making.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit