Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 03:40 PM

166 posts, read 344,715 times

Advertisements

We were going to move there, but after hearing so many bad things about it, we decided it would be best to go south. I hope Detroit gets better some day. I've never been there but I always thought the skyline in the pics were pretty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2009, 06:32 PM

3,120 posts, read 8,063,476 times
What were your intentions in coming to the Detroit area? To physically live in the City of Detroit or to live in the posh Lakes Country suburbs? A great many people live in the Detroit area and love it, and the metro area has some very nice suburbs. In fact, at one time Oakland County (think lots of lakes) was one of the nation's wealthiest counties.

Old 04-12-2009, 07:03 PM

262 posts, read 781,607 times
Her family is based at a military installation that closed. As a civil servant she/her husband has a choice of where to live/work. TACOM (warren) or Redstone Arsenal, Huntsville AL. Thats about 20 miles inside of Alabama just south of Tenesse.

Over on the Huntsville City Forum she has gotten a warm reception and no Detroit bashing although there have been links back to this site for your own discussions of how bad it is. She posted a question of where to live on both city sites.

On this site she got little input with some, well downright ignorant comments on Alabama. Duh, what you say about others says more about yourself than anything else.

Personally I have lived at both locations, Huntsville is a better choice hands down.

Old 04-12-2009, 07:56 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,445,611 times
How can you compare 2 towns as different as Detroit and Huntsville, Alabama? That's pretty much going from one end of the spectrum to the other, IMO.

If you want a big town with everything to do and think you can deal with the winters, pick Detroit. If you want a smaller, more laid back place that is much milder, then go with Huntsville.

Why someone would rule out a place based on things they read in one of these forums is beyond me to begin with. Do I understand that the OP has never even taken the time to visit their possible destiantions? WTF, man?

Old 04-13-2009, 03:35 PM

262 posts, read 781,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman View Post
How can you compare 2 towns as different as Detroit and Huntsville, Alabama? That's pretty much going from one end of the spectrum to the other, IMO.

If you want a big town with everything to do and think you can deal with the winters, pick Detroit. If you want a smaller, more laid back place that is much milder, then go with Huntsville.

Why someone would rule out a place based on things they read in one of these forums is beyond me to begin with. Do I understand that the OP has never even taken the time to visit their possible destiantions? WTF, man?
Well I dunno If they have been to both places, I do know that it is reasonable to compare the two if those are the 2 choices that you have. So is their a diff between a metro stat area of 2.5 million vs. 250K? certainly.

Why would someone decide based upon the net, well why not? Its not like Metro Detroit has a good rep in the popular press, so why not ask the people via the net?

Besides what does Petoskey the reply-er's home town) have to do with Warren? Its not like they are next to each other or even close...

Last edited by Toymeister; 04-13-2009 at 03:38 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 04-13-2009, 03:51 PM

My husband has been to Detroit and Huntsville many times for work. I am the one who has not been to either. He's from the North, I'm more from the South. We are just trying to get people's viewpoints that have actually live/lived there. Judging by the one cruel post in Detroit... only confirms my decision to go south. I've had nothing like that in the Huntsville section. And I've lived in Phoenix which is far larger than Detroit, so, I am familiar with big cities. I go to Chicago frequently. Where we live now is similar in size to Huntsville, so, I'm familiar with that too. I'm getting too old for this nonsense. I was just looking for some sincere and helpful answers to gain some insight into both locations. And to think I was suggesting we drive to Detroit this weekend.....

Old 04-13-2009, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaalspawn View Post
What were your intentions in coming to the Detroit area? To physically live in the City of Detroit or to live in the posh Lakes Country suburbs? A great many people live in the Detroit area and love it, and the metro area has some very nice suburbs. In fact, at one time Oakland County (think lots of lakes) was one of the nation's wealthiest counties.
I did read that Oakland County was the fourth richest county in the US. But I'm not into pretentiousness. We would not fit in there. I already live in a city like that and it's horrid. I like real, kind, and genuine people.

Old 04-13-2009, 05:24 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,216,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wls2624 View Post
We were going to move there, but after hearing so many bad things about it, we decided it would be best to go south. I hope Detroit gets better some day. I've never been there but I always thought the skyline in the pics were pretty.

Skyline, though sparse, is very pretty. Particularly from the Canadian side.

Check back in 20 or 30 years...we will have a new governor then and maybe a serious city council in the "D"

Just like Indiana Jones and the chalice--YOU HAVE CHOSEN WISELY--IMHO

Old 04-14-2009, 04:13 PM

156 posts, read 469,759 times
Good decision. I moved here from Texas and after not even a year, I am ready to go back. Unfortunately, the cold cold weather is not for me. Other than that, I think it is pretty nice here...especially the fall colors and cider mills.

Old 04-14-2009, 04:16 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,758,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wls2624 View Post
Well, certain neighborhoods are like something out of a Charles Bronson movie, but that's true for every good-sized city. I think you can only avoid that by living in post-Giuliani NYC, which has been sanitized for your protection. I'm sorry that the bad attitudes on this forum have steered you away from a great place to live. I really am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit