Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 05:16 PM

186 posts, read 587,977 times

Advertisements

With all the trash people talk about Motown, who's actually planning on moving to Detroit, not surroundind suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 07:02 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,346,453 times
Wow I'm going to subscribe to this thread. Born and lived in Detroit untill I was 33, gave up hope on it then. And my life has improved many times over since the move OUT!

Old 04-20-2009, 07:05 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,521,563 times
Shrewsbury - you have your answer lol Read the Detroit News thread on here. People with jobs and education are moving OUT- not in.

Old 04-21-2009, 01:27 PM

186 posts, read 587,977 times
I'm well aware of the move out but I'm wondering, if anyone actually has a reason they would stay. If they have any memories they have in Detroit that were speciall, and how does their old neighborhood look today.

Old 04-28-2009, 04:50 AM

1,138 posts, read 3,346,453 times
Only traumatic memories for me the old hood looks like a war zone, mattresses on garage roofs, trashy yards and burned out houses. Definately no good memories, was often jumped on the way to school as a white kid who walked, had to always look over my shoulder scared daily. Even with all that attempted to live there with young children, not safe enough. Druggies all over the place, grown men hanging out on corners near drug stores all day, kids walking down the street with un boxed VCRs, TV's, no tags, see big guys riding childrens bikes they just stole down the street, just rediculous!

Old 04-28-2009, 01:01 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,840,928 times
Dang Detroit use to be on top of the world.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:01 PM

262 posts, read 781,723 times
Detroit is second only to New Orleans after the flood in outward migration.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:34 PM

41 posts, read 140,839 times
I haven't been back to Detroit since 2003 when my father in law passed away. We left for the country in Kentucky back in 1991 after a lady was stabbed to death in the car right next to mine while I was in a store in broad daylight. That totally terrified me. Our garage was broken into a few days later and that was it for me. We lost a fortune and left. My mother had Alzheimers and liked to wander off and I couldn't chance her wandering around with stuff like that going on. I've talked to people up in Detroit and looked at some of the sites online and am in shock over what has happened. I expected crime to be bad, but looking so horrible? No, I never expected that. My very first apartment in 1971 was at 44 Glendale in Highland Park. Granted, it wasn't a great neighborhood, but it was decent. Mostly senior citizens and safe. The building was totally trashed out in the last picture taken of it...and it was torn down in 2005. Other areas where I had grown up were practically praries. My old brick home was on sale for only $3,000 on realtor.com...due to vandals tearing everything apart inside. Bet the destroyed the beautiful hardwood floors and ceramic tile my dad took such care of. Oh well, I just hope someday Detroit will come back.

Old 04-29-2009, 03:53 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,071,404 times
If Detroit had a normal history, much of the inner city would have been gentrified already and Detroit would be bustling.

Maybe some wealthy person could establish company farms in hollowed out former neighborhoods and well-funded, well-armed private police forces who have the power to arrest criminals; if the Detroit police can't do it, someone has to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchnauzerMom View Post
I haven't been back to Detroit since 2003 when my father in law passed away. We left for the country in Kentucky back in 1991 after a lady was stabbed to death in the car right next to mine while I was in a store in broad daylight. That totally terrified me. Our garage was broken into a few days later and that was it for me. We lost a fortune and left. My mother had Alzheimers and liked to wander off and I couldn't chance her wandering around with stuff like that going on. I've talked to people up in Detroit and looked at some of the sites online and am in shock over what has happened. I expected crime to be bad, but looking so horrible? No, I never expected that. My very first apartment in 1971 was at 44 Glendale in Highland Park. Granted, it wasn't a great neighborhood, but it was decent. Mostly senior citizens and safe. The building was totally trashed out in the last picture taken of it...and it was torn down in 2005. Other areas where I had grown up were practically praries. My old brick home was on sale for only $3,000 on realtor.com...due to vandals tearing everything apart inside. Bet the destroyed the beautiful hardwood floors and ceramic tile my dad took such care of. Oh well, I just hope someday Detroit will come back.

Old 04-29-2009, 04:47 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,399,956 times
I'll stick my neck out and predict that people who embrace the "slow foods" movement will move in. They'll try to create a slow foods mecca in the nicer inner city areas, using farming of the urban prairies to supply a series of related restaurants. There is a restaurant called Farmer Brown here in SF, that is exactly what I am referring to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit