Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2009, 09:54 AM

9 posts, read 44,573 times

Advertisements

Hi! I live in Royal Oak with no possibility to move at this time. I was part of downsizing recently and have been looking for a new position. I have a possible opportunity in Ann Arbor. I'm afraid to pass it up given the current lack of jobs in my field, but I'm also afraid of a terrible commute - especially during the winter! I have a leased car and my commute to my last position was 20 minutes.

Has anyone done this drive?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 10:31 AM

339 posts, read 976,015 times
I have not done that, but I have a coworker that lives in Ann Arbor and commute every day to Warren. It is an insane drive but given the current economic conditions there is no choice.

Old 04-22-2009, 11:07 AM

15,435 posts, read 25,818,588 times
You do what you've got to do. Maybe later on you will be able to move closer.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:55 PM

328 posts, read 1,397,105 times
Default Might go over Mileage

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchtulip View Post
Hi! I live in Royal Oak with no possibility to move at this time. I was part of downsizing recently and have been looking for a new position. I have a possible opportunity in Ann Arbor. I'm afraid to pass it up given the current lack of jobs in my field, but I'm also afraid of a terrible commute - especially during the winter! I have a leased car and my commute to my last position was 20 minutes.

Thanks!
I would first and foremost be concerned with the fact that you have a leased car. The drive ONE WAY is 45 miles a day. I'm not sure what your lease is, but unless you leased it for 15,000 miles a year, a 90 mile round trip commute will definitely have you going over your mileage and paying some heavy penalties.

Your drive would NOT be easy (I grew up in Metro Detroit and used to commute 70 miles round trip to Southfield every day for work). You would be taking 696 to 275 to M14. Google Maps estimates 51 minutes, but I would estimate 1:30 each way. Unless you work an off-time, expect to sit in traffic on the 696/275 "mixing bowl" and then have heavy traffic on M14 in and out of Ann Arbor.

I think it's doable, for a short while, but if it develops in a long-term position you may want to think about moving closer to your job.

If you do anything, look into your lease terms before you take the job...you don't want to be stuck owing thousands of dollars to your car's leasing agent!

Old 08-16-2011, 11:44 AM

1 posts, read 3,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchtulip View Post

Thanks!
Sorry for reviving an old thread, but I recently experienced exactly what you were going through. I live in the Royal Oak area, was part of a downsizing, had a lease car, then got a job in the Ann Arbor area and can't sell my house.

The first thing I did was turn in my lease several years early. Since the car was still fairly new, the dealership was able to work out a deal with the bank to buy it, then put me in a purchased new car. There were some downsides, since they rolled a balance into the cost of the new car, and I had to get the cheapest most basic model. But now I own a car, don't need to worry about miles on a lease and my monthly bill is the same as the lease was.

Regarding the guy who said to take 696 to 275, which would take 1.5 hours. First of all, I would never go that way due to traffic congestion. I take the Southfield Freeway to 96, then up to M14. It's never backed up and you go the opposite of traffic. It's 45 minutes under perfect conditions, but can take an hour. At the time of this post, the Southfield is under construction, but taking 8 Mile to Telegraph to 96 only adds 10 minutes (this route always takes exactly an hour).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit