U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2009, 05:33 PM

144 posts, read 526,780 times

Advertisements

Never thought I would say that I missed Michigan but after a year and a few odd months living in Buffalo, NY I really wish I were at home again. I grew up in the downriver area and lived in the Brighton area last.

I've hear bits and pieces and watch NBC local news on the internet off and on, but not living there has given me a sense of isolation. I have heard unemployment is horrible and foreclosures are rampant.... with Chrysler and GM close to bankruptcy I know things must be scary. (In fact our move to NY was due to do the loss of my husband's job in an auto related company shortly before the bottom fell out.) While I have friends and family still in the downriver area and friends in Brighton they usually say; "things are the same here" when I ask what is happening.

I would love to hear from southeast Michiganders.... and don't put a shine on your comments, I truly want to know how "My Michigan" is fairing.

Thanks in advance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 07:22 PM

21,090 posts, read 27,637,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganirish View Post
Never thought I would say that I missed Michigan but after a year and a few odd months living in Buffalo, NY I really wish I were at home again. I grew up in the downriver area and lived in the Brighton area last.

I've hear bits and pieces and watch NBC local news on the internet off and on, but not living there has given me a sense of isolation. I have heard unemployment is horrible and foreclosures are rampant.... with Chrysler and GM close to bankruptcy I know things must be scary. (In fact our move to NY was due to do the loss of my husband's job in an auto related company shortly before the bottom fell out.) While I have friends and family still in the downriver area and friends in Brighton they usually say; "things are the same here" when I ask what is happening.

I would love to hear from southeast Michiganders.... and don't put a shine on your comments, I truly want to know how "My Michigan" is fairing.

Thanks in advance.

IT HURTS so greatly that I AM NUMB
And No longer feel the pain

Old 04-23-2009, 10:43 PM

16,286 posts, read 41,065,234 times
Buffalo is only 2 1/2 hours away...you could drive over to Michigan on a day off.

Right after Michigan, I moved out West and worked in national parks, we regularly drove sometimes 2 or 4 or 6 hours just to get to a decent city to buy shoes or books, etc.

Kind of funny to hear of someone in Buffalo just a few hours outside of Detroit...and referring to 'expat' which gives a sense of being half way around the world and way too far for a casual visit

Anyways, I'm a native Michigander as well with Irish ethnicity...but living in Japan

Old 04-24-2009, 09:14 AM

1,107 posts, read 2,956,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Buffalo is only 2 1/2 hours away...you could drive over to Michigan on a day off.

Right after Michigan, I moved out West and worked in national parks, we regularly drove sometimes 2 or 4 or 6 hours just to get to a decent city to buy shoes or books, etc.

Kind of funny to hear of someone in Buffalo just a few hours outside of Detroit...and referring to 'expat' which gives a sense of being half way around the world and way too far for a casual visit

Anyways, I'm a native Michigander as well with Irish ethnicity...but living in Japan
It's about a four and half hour drive from Buffalo thru Canada to Detroit and I think about another hour if you stay on the road in the U.S.

Old 04-24-2009, 10:12 AM

30,306 posts, read 75,197,082 times
Diwnriver is still a lot the same. A few things have closed, but nothing of particular significance. THere is talk about one ot the Trenton Crysler plants closing soon and the brand new one may close in 2011. There is also tal that Chrysler will file for bankruptcy this month. If they liquidate rather than reorganizing, downriver will chage dramatically very quickly.

Old 04-24-2009, 01:14 PM

915 posts, read 1,386,765 times
It's bad - I agree with the person who says that they are numb to it because honestly, that's the only way you can take the news anymore. You've got to let it roll off of you because thinking about your town going under is just overwhelming.

Everyday, you wonder who's going to be laying off/firing workers next. I mean, you watch the news and it's almost like a death toll - 1,500 workers here, that plant's closing...etc.

I live close to Auburn Hills/Sterling Heights, so everything is in a holding pattern until we know what's going on with Chrysler. Then you have GM and Ford on top of that - plus all the suppliers, and the people who have been unemployed competing with the newly unemployed....you get the picture.

Did you hear that around Christmas or New Years the unemployment system shut down because it couldn't handle the volume of calls? That should tell you something right there.

Everyone else outside the state of Michigan is just starting to feel what we've been enduring for years now. There isn't a lot of room to empathize anymore because there's so much going on in our area right now and people are focused on taking care of their own.

There are a few bright spots, like the Final Four coming to town, but everyone's really just waiting to see what's going to happen with the autos because it affects so much of what happens in the area.

Be glad you are somewhere else right now.

Old 05-03-2009, 11:32 AM

144 posts, read 526,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Actually, the drive from Buffalo to Detroit through Canada is 4-1/2 hours. The drive from Buffalo to Detroit through the US is 6-1/2 hours. We traveled both ways, and use the Canadian route as often as possible. Don't know what route you've driven (or how fast you drove) but I don't of any way to get to Michigan in 2-1/2 hours by car!

Quote:

While Buffalo may be only "a few ours outside of Detroit", depending what you call a casual visit, it can be too far... 4 to 6 hours travel time makes even an overnight visit a push. We are here until our retirement, which does give us a sense of "being half way around the world". Removed from our kids, grandkids, an aging father, friends and all that is familar to us makes for the Ex-Pat feeling, much the same as my parents described they're feelings when the moved here from Ireland. (BTW, they flight to Ireland is ONLY 5 hours)

You mentioned you're living in Japan. Is that a permanent move or temporary? If it is pemanent you should understand our feelings. If temporary then perhaps that's why you don't understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit