U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2009, 06:56 PM

49 posts, read 156,069 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend and I are relocating to Detroit for the next 4 year (Coast Guard). I am going to be working at Selfridge ANGB, she'll be going to school at Wayne State. What are some good middle-ground areas to consider?

We're both in our late 20's, no kids. Here's our wish list:

+House with a fenced yard (for the dog) and at least a one-car garage.
+Nice areas to walk the dog around the neighborhood.
+Close to downtown restaurants/bars.

Thus far, we're looking into the Royal Oak/Ferndale/Clawson area. I love the looks of downtown Royal Oak.

I would like to keep my rent to around $1200/month.

Last edited by jerky1280; 05-06-2009 at 08:20 PM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 11:59 AM

1,742 posts, read 3,785,690 times
I think you will like the Royal Oak area. It'll be a bit of a drive to Selfridge but Wayne State is right down Woodward.

Old 05-07-2009, 04:23 PM

30,126 posts, read 73,848,240 times
IOt sounds like Royal Oak is ideal for you. You could get closer to a mid point between WSU and selfridge, but then you are pretty much looking at small towns and rural areas. The drive will be a bear in the winter. You should make arrangements for a place to stay at or very near selfridge on really bad days in the winter. Not only will it take a long time, but it will be dangerous.

I always thought that it would be great to be int he coast guard. I sometimes wish that I had taken that as my career path instead of an office job. I have always had a stong attachment to boats and water.

Do you love it?

Old 05-08-2009, 06:09 AM

266 posts, read 808,593 times
We were just down house-hunting in Royal Oak and Ferndale yesterday, and you will have a LOT of nice rent/lease options for $1200/month! Both areas have tons of fun things to do and pretty tree-lined streets with lots of available cute houses. Both are right next to I-696 which will get you to Selfridge.

Old 05-08-2009, 06:30 PM

49 posts, read 156,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
IOt sounds like Royal Oak is ideal for you. You could get closer to a mid point between WSU and selfridge, but then you are pretty much looking at small towns and rural areas. The drive will be a bear in the winter. You should make arrangements for a place to stay at or very near selfridge on really bad days in the winter. Not only will it take a long time, but it will be dangerous.

I always thought that it would be great to be int he coast guard. I sometimes wish that I had taken that as my career path instead of an office job. I have always had a stong attachment to boats and water.

Do you love it?
Thanks for the info. I have a Subaru Outback, so hopefully the winter's won't be too bad for me.

I'm currently training to fly helicopters for the Coast Guard. I did a few years onboard ships and that wasn't really my cup of tea. Months at a time away from home combined with seasickness and long work hours when underway (18 hrs a day 6 days a week) made me thing that a different path was for me. I absolutely love flying though!

Old 05-08-2009, 07:31 PM

179 posts, read 520,926 times
Royal Oak is great, lots of cute shops and restaurants. Birmingham is cute too, but more expensive.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:36 PM

76,495 posts, read 104,346,444 times
What about Fraser, Warren, Hazel Park or Roseville? Maybe Eastpointe or Harper Woods?

Old 05-10-2009, 07:47 AM

9 posts, read 18,694 times
My husband is in the CG as well, and we just signed a lease on a house in Royal Oak. There are actually a bunch of Coasties there, which I wasn't expecting. My husband did the drive to the base and it was right around 30 minutes.

Our house has a fenced in back yard, a garage, is walking distance to everything we could want and is adorable too. You will find something in your price range with no trouble at all.

Please feel free to ask us anything about the area, as my husband has been up there twice checking everyplace out!

Old 05-10-2009, 08:35 AM

30,126 posts, read 73,848,240 times
As long as you do not have kids. Royal Oak is a great place for young people. UNless you are more of an outdoorsy type (RO is not an outdoorsy type place),the only place that really offers as much is Ann Arbor and maybe Downtown.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:56 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,080,116 times
Welcome to Michigan, CGSmiths and jerky1280! My Coastie is in Alaska. If there is anything I can do, or you need a mom away from home, please do not hesitate to ask.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit