Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 06:18 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,191,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by and the View Post
When you order something in the mail or from an Ebay auction, do you list your address as "Chicago" with a Harvey zip code? If your address says "Harvey" and not "Chicago", you're not from Chicago, unless by "from", you mean "I used to live there but don't anymore".
Nope. When it comes to that, I always use my real location and not throw the deliver off path. Many Chicagoland people(especially suburban Cook County) say ''we are from Chicago'' when they are out of state, when some of us really live in the burbs. Sometimes I say ''I'm from the Chicago area'' to be a little more specific.

The difference between suburban Chicagoans and suburban Detroiters, is we have a stronger bond with the city(Chicago) and some of us visit the city weekly. I notice people in Detroit suburbs associate themselves with their specific burb instead of saying '' we are from Detroit''. I think it have something to do with Detroit bad rep and some suburbanites are ashame to mention Detroit.

Last edited by Chicagoland60426; 05-18-2009 at 06:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 06:22 PM

999 posts, read 4,526,957 times
Quote:
QuickWit
befriend Join Date: Mar 2009
7 posts, read 1,115 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingnatic
People use this as a reference , and they were either born in Detroit or at one time lived in Detroit . You won't change people so put a cork in it .

I understand your point completely and do not really fault people who say they are from "Detroit" while vacationing in London, but it is annoying when people say it to try and appear "tough" because of Detroit's overall "gangster" image. I guess it comes down to the intent of the speaker. I just have no respect for my friends from Plymouth or Rochester who throw it out at the bar in their polo shirts attempting to impress somebody from out of town. It implies something that is not true, and clearly as demonstrated here, is disrespectful to some people who are actually from Detroit. You are right, people are not likely to stop saying it, especially given Detroit's recent heavy media coverage depicting it as notoriously as ever. Suburbanites will continue to ride the "coat-tails" of Detroit's self-destruction in an effort to bolster their own "tough guy" image. The sad effect of this nonsense is that it gives credibility to the belief that Detroit is ok, and in fact "cool" because it is so "hard core" such that people actually hope Detroit makes #1 on the Murder Rate list so that it doesn't loose its "bad boy" reputation. This is backward thinking and only exacerbates the City's current problems because it does not criticize Detroit for being a crumbling dump but rather praises it for the same. True Detroiters would do as "and the" did and tear it apart with criticisms. If more people took this approach, maybe the leaders would have no choice but to take some positive steps.

See, champ, somebody else gets it! Suburbanites claiming Detroit residency when it's just as easy to say you're from "S/E Michigan" or "outside of Detroit" or "a Detroit suburb" is like being down with the Mouseketeers and claiming Latin Counts.

As far as why I'm not responding to your argument about semantics...It's because I don't feel like it. You never told me why you're not living in the city if you're such a Detroit booster. Like I said before, I lived in the city for many years and paid my dues. if I didn't have kids, there's a good chance I'd be living downtown in a high rise or loft like QW is. I actually enjoyed many aspects of living in Detroit pre-kids, but the neighborhoods got so bad the only place to consider was downtown and that's not kid friendly enough for me.

It's a crime what's happened to Detroit's neighborhoods and there is no hope for a turnaround in my lifetime and probably not in my kids' lifetimes. Pretending there is while refusing to move into one of those neighborhoods yourself as a home owner means you're either naive or a poser or both. People like you are the ones who will prolong the problem and delay any meaningful solutions, not me. I've seen the beast from both ends. You're not even close yet.

Quote:
Again, you're part of the problem. You want a clearcut line between the city and suburbs which is why there is so much division now.
Of course, the division has nothing to do with the fact that Detroit leaders want suburban money with absolutely no suburban control of or even input into projects within the city. So much for "One Big D". That's what "The D" thinks of you champ. A source of money with no vote, no input and no authority. One of my favorite shows while being a Detroit resident was the city council meetings. Priceless. You want to talk about devisive? Lots of other "d's" come to mind with regard to Detroit's leaders when watching those meetings. Deranged, derisive, delusional, destructive, dependant...

Last edited by and the; 05-18-2009 at 06:35 PM..

Old 05-18-2009, 09:05 PM

Location: D-town (technically a suburb, cause "and the" said so)
90 posts, read 207,141 times
Quote:
See, champ, somebody else gets it! Suburbanites claiming Detroit residency when it's just as easy to say you're from "S/E Michigan" or "outside of Detroit" or "a Detroit suburb" is like being down with the Mouseketeers and claiming Latin Counts.

As far as why I'm not responding to your argument about semantics...It's because I don't feel like it. You never told me why you're not living in the city if you're such a Detroit booster. Like I said before, I lived in the city for many years and paid my dues. if I didn't have kids, there's a good chance I'd be living downtown in a high rise or loft like QW is. I actually enjoyed many aspects of living in Detroit pre-kids, but the neighborhoods got so bad the only place to consider was downtown and that's not kid friendly enough for me.

It's a crime what's happened to Detroit's neighborhoods and there is no hope for a turnaround in my lifetime and probably not in my kids' lifetimes. Pretending there is while refusing to move into one of those neighborhoods yourself as a home owner means you're either naive or a poser or both. People like you are the ones who will prolong the problem and delay any meaningful solutions, not me. I've seen the beast from both ends. You're not even close yet.

Of course, the division has nothing to do with the fact that Detroit leaders want suburban money with absolutely no suburban control of or even input into projects within the city. So much for "One Big D". That's what "The D" thinks of you champ. A source of money with no vote, no input and no authority. One of my favorite shows while being a Detroit resident was the city council meetings. Priceless. You want to talk about devisive? Lots of other "d's" come to mind with regard to Detroit's leaders when watching those meetings. Deranged, derisive, delusional, destructive, dependant...
You're talking to me about semantics?? Seriously? The guy who thinks if you live on the north side of 8 mile, you cannot tell anyone, anywhere, you're from Detroit. Give it a rest. You're the one who completely changed the topic and got into semantics. You didn't reply to my post because I showed you what was really said and what was implied. You called me out and got shown the truth.

You then talk about what the "D" thinks of me and it's problems. Again, I agree there are serious problems in Detroit. I have never disputed that and you continually imply that I either don't think it has it's problems or that I am oblivious to them. Again...dead wrong. I am rejoicing that Monica Conyers and her band of marry twits are falling off one by one. Barbara Rose Collins can take her crown and shove it, well...you know where. However, having said that, if people in the 'burbs continue to turn their backs on the city, it well never again prosper. The city needs the 'burbs. The 'burbs need the city. You however, don't seem to get that. You appear to have been wronged by the city and cannot get over it. Let it go. Move on. Instead of saying you will go back to the city when it fixes itself, be a small part of the solution. And yes, you can be a part of the solution for Detroit and still live in the 'burbs. Incase you haven't noticed, the 'burbs are suffering as well. Why? BECAUSE WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER.

Like it or not, when I am out of state and someone asks where I'm from...I STILL SAY DETROIT. No internet blogger with an axe to grind can tell me I can't. I'm not looking for oohs and aahs, I'm simply telling them the area I live in. If I'm in state, or talking to someone familiar with the area, I THEN TELL THEM EXACTLY WHERE I LIVE. If you don't like it, tough. I'm an adult, not some punk kid trying to impress anyone or some spoiled rich brat with his polo shirt on attempting to look tough. You aren't the only one who overcame things to make something out of themselves. People can do that in the 'burbs too you know. The 'burbs aren't all peaches and cream. Ever heard of Inkster?

Thank you for completely turning this thread into something it was not intended to be. Just curious, when will you be petitioning the NBA to change the name to the Auburn Hills Pistons??

Old 05-18-2009, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingnatic View Post
Why not ? I was born in Detroit many moons ago , and moved to the suburbs to save myself , my family , my property . When I read post # 1 and see what this thread turned into , my opinion is that 99.9% of the people responding don't care what the naysayers think . People use this as a reference , and they were either born in Detroit or at one time lived in Detroit . You won't change people so put a cork in it .
It's funny, this thread was never intended to go this way. Someone got their panties in a bunch over people living in the burbs claiming they were from Detroit.

My intention was to be proud of being from the Metro Detroit despite all the negative press and to become part of the solution. As I said (even though it was misinterpreted) CHANGE BEGINS WITH ATTITUDE!

Old 05-19-2009, 01:28 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,725,665 times
Everybody please calm down.
Yac.

Old 05-19-2009, 05:54 PM

999 posts, read 4,526,957 times
Quote:
My intention was to be proud of being from the Metro Detroit despite all the negative press and to become part of the solution.

What would Detroit be like if every single person and couple with no kids in the tri-county area put as much effort into the city as I did before I had kids? How many vacant houses would be occupied, how many schools would be held to higher standards, and how much money in taxes would be collected? How many bombed-out, drug-infested neighborhoods would still be viable? Forget the tri-county area, what if every childless person in Wayne county alone moved in?

So forget everyone in the tri-county area and even Wayne County, what if just the unmarried childless Detroit boosters in the tri-county area moved in to Detroit and became Detroiters? Not just the type of euphamistic Detroiter who goes to a few hockey games a year and gets some Saganaki at Greektown?

You could get a nice house so cheap that it would offset the high taxes for at least ten years. So.....what are the single, childless Detroit boosters who think I'm part of the problem doing to put their money and their investment capital where their mouths are? Why don't you make an even smaller investment in Detroit than I did and invest only ten years to living and investing in a house in the city to become part of the solution?

Old 05-19-2009, 06:11 PM

Quote:
What would Detroit be like if every single person and couple with no kids in the tri-county area put as much effort into the city as I did before I had kids? How many vacant houses would be occupied, how many schools would be held to higher standards, and how much money in taxes would be collected? How many bombed-out, drug-infested neighborhoods would still be viable? Forget the tri-county area, what if every childless person in Wayne county alone moved in?

So forget everyone in the tri-county area and even Wayne County, what if just the unmarried childless Detroit boosters in the tri-county area moved in to Detroit and became Detroiters? Not just the type of euphamistic Detroiter who goes to a few hockey games a year and gets some Saganaki at Greektown?

You could get a nice house so cheap that it would offset the high taxes for at least ten years. So.....what are the single, childless Detroit boosters who think I'm part of the problem doing to put their money and their investment capital where their mouths are? Why don't you make an even smaller investment in Detroit than I did and invest only ten years to living and investing in a house in the city to become part of the solution?
That was quite the tangent you went on yet again...and again, it was off topic. You didn't even address any of my questions so just give it a rest, bud. Give it a rest.

Old 05-20-2009, 03:55 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
Default JFK had it right..

I TOO AM A DETROITER...

Old 05-20-2009, 08:39 AM

200 posts, read 806,822 times
I am proud to be a native Detroiter. Wish to god I could move back!

Old 05-20-2009, 09:35 AM

979 posts, read 3,827,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by st8champ90 View Post
Playing off of the old channel 7 commercial, I want to help start a new trend. Actually being proud of being from Detroit (the entire metro area) and telling people about it. I can't stand when the ridiculous media (most of whom have never been to Detroit) tries to paint this city as entirely bad. Detroit, for all it's warts, still has many, many positives. If any of you feel so enticed, post something good about the metro area and be proud of it. I'll start...

I love the people. Yes some are tough and a little gruff, but we are generally very genuine people. We know and care about our neighbors, our sports teams, and of course, our families. Plus, nobody can tell me this isn't one of the best sports towns in America!
I've lived in Florida for about 3 yrs now and I don't let anyone harp on Detroit without a mouthful from me! I love Detroit and I always fully explain why. Great city, great culture, great history! Don't let anyone tell you different!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit