Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 04:12 PM

301 posts, read 1,327,090 times

Advertisements

At what point (roughly speaking) in Detroit's history, did Detroit become a dangerous city and what were the triggers (pun not intended) for this? When the auto industry was booming, was crime in Detroit still a major problem? Essentially, why did Detroit become a magnet for so much trouble?

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 04:38 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,211,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwestman View Post
At what point (roughly speaking) in Detroit's history, did Detroit become a dangerous city and what were the triggers (pun not intended) for this? When the auto industry was booming, was crime in Detroit still a major problem? Essentially, why did Detroit become a magnet for so much trouble?

Thank you

I do not really know. I find Detroit to be absolutely wonderful and the most prestigious urban center in America.

Other than that 1973 with the disbandment of STRESS and the new mayor in 1973.

This article might help..

Jerome Cavanagh - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-14-2009, 07:31 AM

266 posts, read 852,961 times
It has been thought of as a "dangerous" city most of my life, though my parents often speak fondly of going downtown for the parades and to go to Hudson's and how wonderful it used to be. You can see from the big, ornate old houses (now mostly abandoned and crumbling) that it used to be a very well-to-do city.

Was it the riots in the 1960's that officially turned the corner? Or was it the slow process of segregating Detroit from The Suburbs brought about by the long, corrupt reign of Coleman Young?

Old 05-14-2009, 07:58 PM

144 posts, read 546,632 times
As in most large cities there were always parts of Detroit that were not safe. However, I believe over the years the "unsafe areas" have become less defined, no longer can you tell by the look of an area what is a "bad" area and what isn't.

When my mother was young, (ca. late 1940's) she walked home from the Boblo Dock at 2 am. When I was in my late teen's/early twenties (ca. 1969-1974) I never had any problems in the downtown area. I grew up in the Warrendale area, and walked to Tiger Stadium as a teenager, and spent a lot of time at the Gaelic League on Michigan Ave.

Even after the riots things weren't what they are now. Detroit became dangerous over time..... when there was a lack of any real city leadership it made it easier for criminal elements to move in. I agree with you jeanniepep, Coleman Young as mayor was a major factor in the decline of Detroit.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:09 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,001,757 times
During the 1960's, the Big 3 spent billions in building new facilities and none of them in Detroit. With all these factories moving to the suburbs and jobs, people started migrating to the suburbs to live near their work, and thus cities like Warren were born. This slow movement to the suburbs, coupled with the racial tension boiled over in 1967. After the riots, white flight took effect, than Coleman Young took over and all hell broke loose. Detroit was in a slow decline before the riots, but the riots triggered the white flight and Coleman Young made sure they stayed away and oppressed the city.

Old 05-15-2009, 05:16 AM

186 posts, read 587,877 times
Quote:

Thank you
It became a magnet when african americans in the city were faced with high unemployment and police brutality. Years before they could hardly get into the then racist factories and those who couldn't often robbed their white neighbors. During racial matters the olice took whites side and some whites often openly showed racial dislike to blacks in the city causing riots like the historic 12th street riot. However the key to crime in the city to me was high unemployment.

Old 05-15-2009, 05:51 AM

Thumbs down Violence killed the world class city

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsbury Road View Post
It became a magnet when african americans in the city were faced with high unemployment and police brutality. Years before they could hardly get into the then racist factories and those who couldn't often robbed their white neighbors. During racial matters the olice took whites side and some whites often openly showed racial dislike to blacks in the city causing riots like the historic 12th street riot. However the key to crime in the city to me was high unemployment.

HUH?? This is whose version of Detroit History? Not the actual.

No wonder the city council is whacked..they all believe a revisionist view of history and think thay have to get back at WHITEY?

This is what has KILLED Detroit--

US AGAINST THEM

SUBURBS AGAINST THE CITY

COLOR AGAINST COLOR

Now that there is fewer people of diversity in the city--Those remaining have turned on each other.

IS IT STILL POLICE BRUTALITY CAUSING THE ANGST AND MAYHEM?

Old 05-17-2009, 10:50 PM

41 posts, read 140,809 times
Detroit wasn't really dangerous for quite some time after the riot of 67. I've lived on both sides of the city and sure, there were areas that you tried to avoid after dark, but other than that most of us didn't worry very much. I'll never forget when the Tigers won in 1968 and my cousin and I took off to celebrate downtown. Most people would think that was insane for a couple of young women (I was 15 at the time) but we had no problems at all. The crowd was very diverse and everyone was just thrilled, not looking for trouble. Actually, I think them winning that World Series helped Detroit heal some of the wounds from that summer of 67. It didn't matter what color you were, or what side of town you were from...we were all Detroiters totally joyous and proud of OUR city.

Old 05-18-2009, 12:35 AM

282 posts, read 1,168,864 times
Quote:

Thank you
................ There is a race that doesn't want to hear this.
It isn't "politicry correct." In the 50's-60's this city was rated # 4.
NOT by me,. I'm nobody. Politics changed. Theses ppl that won't get off their ass to save their life
want welfare. They ruined this city straight up.The city councel is run by a black Hitler. Who put her in office? You better wake up, this town is DEAD.

Old 05-18-2009, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakian View Post
................ There is a race that doesn't want to hear this.
It isn't "politicry correct." In the 50's-60's this city was rated # 4.
NOT by me,. I'm nobody. Politics changed. Theses ppl that won't get off their ass to save their life
want welfare. They ruined this city straight up.The city councel is run by a black Hitler. Who put her in office? You better wake up, this town is DEAD.
I LOVE Detroit, but then again I was that kid in biology that loved dissection as well...

This post has been RATED NEUTRAL in content and contains no blatant negativity (nor positively either) towards ANY urban center in particular.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit