Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 11:28 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,778,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsbury Road View Post
If my preference wasn't a historic neighborhood I would move downtown, because of the nightlife and the business atmosphere but it would have to be those nice new apartment complexes surrounding downtown because I simply can't afford the new million dollar condos.
What about Corktown? Loads of quaint little victorians there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 03:07 PM

186 posts, read 587,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
What about Corktown? Loads of quaint little victorians there.
Thats also something to consider, why not Corktown.

Old 05-26-2009, 05:25 PM

44 posts, read 126,672 times
I will come visit in the next few months and check out some of those areas. When I went on Google maps and tried to look up Corktown I mostly saw industrial looking buildings. I'm sure there must be more to it than that.

Old 05-26-2009, 06:54 PM

186 posts, read 587,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spicemice View Post
I will come visit in the next few months and check out some of those areas. When I went on Google maps and tried to look up Corktown I mostly saw industrial looking buildings. I'm sure there must be more to it than that.
What all areas are you looking in? Corktown, Midtown, South West Detroit, Boston-Edison, Indian Village, North Rosedale Park, Palmer Woods, Palmer Park, Sherwood Forest, and Green Acres?

Old 05-26-2009, 07:31 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,211,479 times
Children are not safe in Detroit?

But there are thousands of children living there today?

How can a city survive and continue to have so many great events if it doesn't have children?

Children can not be exposed to certain experiences which might damage heir psyche??

Old 05-28-2009, 01:14 PM

5 posts, read 8,361 times
I would say no... downtown Detroit still unfortunately maintains its bad rap. It's sad when you hear on the news of yet another gun fired... house fire.... other places don't hear of such things! (Not to say they dont happen elsewhere, it's just so rampant in Detroit.)

Old 05-29-2009, 04:18 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,778,724 times
How rampant is it downtown? I work downtown and usually leave between 7 p.m. and 10 p.m. Sometimes I walk around downtown looking for dinner or just walking before I go home. I have never heard a shot or seen a fire.

Are you confusing downtown with other parts of the City?

Old 05-30-2009, 01:25 AM

1,996 posts, read 3,159,074 times
Please check out the neighborhoods of Woodbridge and West Village. Woodbridge is about 1.5 to 2 miles outside of downtown adjacent to Wayne State. West Village is 4 miles east of downtown. Its main intersection is Van Dyke and East Jefferson avenue, and the neighborhood extends north of that intersection. Are you looking to buy or rent?

Old 06-01-2009, 07:49 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,181,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
Please check out the neighborhoods of Woodbridge and West Village. Woodbridge is about 1.5 to 2 miles outside of downtown adjacent to Wayne State. West Village is 4 miles east of downtown. Its main intersection is Van Dyke and East Jefferson avenue, and the neighborhood extends north of that intersection. Are you looking to buy or rent?
Out of curiosity, I took a look at the area around Van Dyke and E. Jefferson on Google Maps. Less then half a mile from that intersection, the blocks are riddled with vacant lots. If this is what passes for a stable, middle class neighborhood in Detroit, there isn't much hope for the city.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:35 PM

44 posts, read 126,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsbury Road View Post
What all areas are you looking in? Corktown, Midtown, South West Detroit, Boston-Edison, Indian Village, North Rosedale Park, Palmer Woods, Palmer Park, Sherwood Forest, and Green Acres?
I went on Craigslist put Corktown in the search area for apartments and then went on google maps to see the actual addresses to see what the area looked like and the money they were asking. I'm seeing some areas that look ok, but it seems like a block here and there. Are there any actual thriving (for Detroit) neighborhoods anywhere around downtown? I guess what I'm really looking for is a neighborhood that's on its way up, where there may be some hope that in the future it will be getting better, but not too expensive right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit