Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 04:14 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,859,793 times

Advertisements

Older fella outside of town was flying his Redwings flag at half staff today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 05:15 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,696,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGatti View Post
First off thank you. But I have to disagree with the NHL getting too rough. I think the opposite. I think they have taken some important things out of the game and I also feel Bettman has really screwed up the sport BIG TIME. When Malkin went after Hank......in years past they would have dressed McCarty and sent a message. Your not going to screw with one of our stars like that. Without the enforcers to fear punks like Malkin can get away with the BS he did. With Bettman as commissioner Malkin does not get the suspension THE RULES say he does.
I felt the Wings stopped hitting in their own zone. They let Pittsburgh skate right in, slapping at the puck, not playing the body. I think the D needs an overhaul and it better come out that Hossa was hurt. You don't leave the team that's whipping your ass for the cup and not show up. He was a ghost. Pavel was hurting last night too. He was not himself. They need some size on the team. Along with some youth. I agree with with another post about who should go and who should stay for the most part. With the exception of Lindstrom. I think he was still nursing his injury. I also agree there were a lot more injuries than we know. Resign Hossa? Not sure if I'd bother, unless he was truly hurt. His playoff's was dismal.
Oh and with the play of Abdelkater, why the hell did you have Draper or Maltby in there? Experience? I'd take some youth with the experience elsewhere.
Yes, I heard about that incident involving Malkin and that's one of the reasons I don't like him as a player. I think Chris Chelios will be gone and Lidstrom has one more year on his current contract. As for players with size, they have Tomas Holmstrom and Johan Franzen who has also been a great playoff performer. If I was Ken Holland, I would consider re-signing Marian Hossa because Hossa is a proven super star player and I'd be nuts not to if I was in Ken Holland's shoes.

Jim Fox said in a video I watched last night that he thinks the Detroit Red Wings are still the best team in the NHL. Let's not forget that players like Darren Helm, Jonathan Ericsson and Valteri Filppula are very solid players and I saw how Helm played. He even dazzled me with his skill. Pittsburgh won the series due to injuries on the Detroit side because if Detroit is healthy, they will win almost always.

Gary Bettman is trying to and has been the cause of the expansion of the NHL into cities like Miami, Atlanta, Phoenix and Nashville. No wonder the NHL's ratings have slipped and ESPN no longer shows ANY games during the season and playoffs. But Bettman won't be the comissioner forever. One day, someone hopefully better will replace him.

I just don't see Pittsburgh repeating as champions simply because it is tough to repeat in the NHL. They may have won this year but next year will hopefully be the Wings' turn

I suggest Detroit go out and sign some more offensive players in case they suffer injuries. Why not consider doing a sign and trade to get Paul Kariya for example and give HIM a chance to win the CUP because he won't win it in St. Louis. Depth in the NHL matters a lot!

Old 06-14-2009, 12:59 PM

1,217 posts, read 3,276,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliveandWell View Post
Yes, I heard about that incident involving Malkin and that's one of the reasons I don't like him as a player. I think Chris Chelios will be gone and Lidstrom has one more year on his current contract. As for players with size, they have Tomas Holmstrom and Johan Franzen who has also been a great playoff performer. If I was Ken Holland, I would consider re-signing Marian Hossa because Hossa is a proven super star player and I'd be nuts not to if I was in Ken Holland's shoes.

Jim Fox said in a video I watched last night that he thinks the Detroit Red Wings are still the best team in the NHL. Let's not forget that players like Darren Helm, Jonathan Ericsson and Valteri Filppula are very solid players and I saw how Helm played. He even dazzled me with his skill. Pittsburgh won the series due to injuries on the Detroit side because if Detroit is healthy, they will win almost always.

Gary Bettman is trying to and has been the cause of the expansion of the NHL into cities like Miami, Atlanta, Phoenix and Nashville. No wonder the NHL's ratings have slipped and ESPN no longer shows ANY games during the season and playoffs. But Bettman won't be the comissioner forever. One day, someone hopefully better will replace him.

I just don't see Pittsburgh repeating as champions simply because it is tough to repeat in the NHL. They may have won this year but next year will hopefully be the Wings' turn

I suggest Detroit go out and sign some more offensive players in case they suffer injuries. Why not consider doing a sign and trade to get Paul Kariya for example and give HIM a chance to win the CUP because he won't win it in St. Louis. Depth in the NHL matters a lot!
I have to say I do not agree with you on two points. After much thought and the fact it has come out Hossa admitted he choked I think HE MUST GO. The Wings need defense. BIG defense. The thing they do not need to more depth at offense, and that is the other point I do not agree with. To trade for Kariya would take giving up too much youth to get him. The Wings need their young forwards and the cap is going to limit their signings. Hossa wants 7 Million a year? No way. You can get one stud defenseman and another roll player stay at home defenseman for his price. Sorry. But the Wings needs are DEFENSE. I felt Pittsburgh manhandled then like school kids in our own zone. Also great offense starts with.......yup a strong defense. The transition game did not exist other than game 5 in this series. Other than that it was a struggle to get it out of our zone.
As lame as this sounds I trust Ken Holland to do exactly what needs to be done. There are two unrestricted BIG free agent defensemen available. Florida's Jay Bouwmeester and Mike Komisarek from Montreal. Both are 6'4 220 bills, one is a stay at home punisher and the other more offensive minded. Look for Holland to land one of them, or maybe work his magic and get em both. The Wings are still the premiere team that a lot of players want to play for, for less money.

Old 06-14-2009, 01:00 PM

1,217 posts, read 3,276,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Older fella outside of town was flying his Redwings flag at half staff today.
Thats classic Bydand

Old 06-15-2009, 06:23 AM

393 posts, read 1,188,236 times
Think of the loss as the Wings way to help the poor children of the world.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit