Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2009, 04:13 PM

2 posts, read 6,418 times

Advertisements

i was able to sign up for orientation for a program that i was accepted for to start in fall 2009. my questions is this - to qualify it states that if you work (you signing up for nwlb) and you make less than 40k as a family than you qualify. what if i dont work but my spouse makes over 40k? would i still qualify??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 04:38 PM

19 posts, read 57,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeRush2112 View Post
what if i dont work but my spouse makes over 40k? would i still qualify??
I believe so. Check out the web site here (http://www.michigan.gov/nwlb - broken link).

However, being qualified and actually getting the funding are two different things. My fiance has been through orientation and all the required classes - even had his "entrance interview." But that was over a month ago, and nothing else has transpired. Maybe the program is overwhelmed by all the applicants.

Old 06-27-2009, 06:43 AM

206 posts, read 439,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferndc View Post
I believe so. Check out the web site here (http://www.michigan.gov/nwlb - broken link).

However, being qualified and actually getting the funding are two different things. My fiance has been through orientation and all the required classes - even had his "entrance interview." But that was over a month ago, and nothing else has transpired. Maybe the program is overwhelmed by all the applicants.
It is definitely being overwhelmed by applicants. I called myself a couple days ago and they said the first opening for an orientation was for October.

Did they require him to apply for Federal aid as part of the program requirements?

Old 06-27-2009, 08:56 AM

19 posts, read 57,224 times
They told him he will have to apply for financial aid, but it hasn't got to that point yet.

Old 06-27-2009, 09:09 AM

206 posts, read 439,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferndc View Post
They told him he will have to apply for financial aid, but it hasn't got to that point yet.
The sooner he does that the better. Can be done online now. He doesn't need anything to slow down the process.

Old 08-28-2009, 02:30 PM

2 posts, read 3,091 times
Default Applying for Financial Aid

First I'd like to ask where online one goes to file for financial aid for the No Worker Left Behind program?
I know that financial disclosure is one of the requirements for this program. That's fine, for someone in their early 20's, who hasn't yet established a 401K or IRA, bought and paid for a house or built up a financial "nest egg". Lets consider someone in their mid 50's who has worked for 30+ years and maybe paid off a small home, has a small 401K and managed to sock away a "rainy day" fund to help put a son or daughter through college,only to find him or herself now laid-off from a good job after all those years.
Short of the 59 1/2 age requirement to draw on a retirement plan, these funds are virtually not available without large tax penalties.
On the surface, the requirements to qualify for this program sound good and straight forward for all, i.e. been laid-off, on unemployment, etc.
I'm afraid that the middle aged worker who may have been able to save a little through the years is going to be between a rock and a hard spot! I hope I'm wrong on the financial aid requirements, but unless a person sells their house, uses up all the funds and goes on "the dole", they're never going to qualify for this program until they do so. For those of you who have applied for financial aid and fit this scenario, tell me I'm wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit