Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 01:18 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,725,619 times

Advertisements

"While bike enthusiasts in most urban areas continue to have to fight for their place on the streets, Detroit has the potential to become a new bicycle utopia. It’s a town just waiting to be taken. With well less than half its peak population, and free of anything resembling a hill, the city and its miles and miles of streets lie open and empty, beckoning. And lately, whether it’s because of the economy or the price of gas or just because it’s a nice thing to do, there are a lot more bikers out riding."

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/05/op...ml?ref=opinion
Attached Thumbnails
Bike Among the Ruins-bikespan.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 10:06 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,023,348 times
very interesting, but I doubt it will happen

Old 07-05-2009, 10:11 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,084,935 times
I've driven down there; I wouldn't even ride a motorcycle.

I hear Beirut is nicer...

Old 07-05-2009, 10:58 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,725,619 times
More from the NYT piece,

> "Despite the press, survival here isn’t so hard. Businesses like the Wheelhouse and the Hub have already shown how well Detroit can work as a new business hothouse. With the legendarily affordable real estate and without needing to pay for car payments, gas or insurance, bicyclists could rebuild Detroit into a model of a two-wheeled economy. They could pass laws promoting bikes over cars and designate entire avenues motor-free zones, which, given the state of many of them now, wouldn’t be so much of a stretch." <

Even though it may seem improbable and contrary to to convention, this kind of innovative thinking may indeed be an opportunity that needs to be recognized and nurtured.

In general, I think America has lost some of the innovative vision on which it was built. Perhaps with more creative solutions like this, a new reality may take shape to replace the worn out and unusable.

Why not?

Old 07-06-2009, 01:52 PM

999 posts, read 4,527,992 times
The ruins are ruined for a reason. You'd have to be nuts to ride a bike in most "ruined" areas of Detroit. The area south of I-94 and east of I-75 is the 4th most dangerous neighborhood in the country according to something I saw published on Yahoo. And that's with as much under-reporting of crime as they can get away with!

Old 07-06-2009, 05:58 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,084,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
More from the NYT piece,

> "Despite the press, survival here isn’t so hard. Businesses like the Wheelhouse and the Hub have already shown how well Detroit can work as a new business hothouse. With the legendarily affordable real estate and without needing to pay for car payments, gas or insurance, bicyclists could rebuild Detroit into a model of a two-wheeled economy. They could pass laws promoting bikes over cars and designate entire avenues motor-free zones, which, given the state of many of them now, wouldn’t be so much of a stretch." <

Even though it may seem improbable and contrary to to convention, this kind of innovative thinking may indeed be an opportunity that needs to be recognized and nurtured.

In general, I think America has lost some of the innovative vision on which it was built. Perhaps with more creative solutions like this, a new reality may take shape to replace the worn out and unusable.

Why not?
It's kinda hard to ride a bike in Detroit in January. Maybe I'm just a wimp....

Old 07-06-2009, 06:43 PM

Quote:

Why not?
What's it a solution FOR? A lack of targets for armed robbers? Maybe they'll steal the bikes and ride them to job interviews and new jobs created by all the new pedatourists.

Old 07-07-2009, 06:02 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,023,348 times
No, this plan is all else equal.

It assumes that the city would be relatively stable, then as it redevelops, it would give equal status to bicyclists as well as pedestrians.

Old 07-07-2009, 06:32 PM

49 posts, read 165,406 times
A great article. My girlfriend and I are planning on moving to Royal Oak in August or September. She'll be going to school at Wayne state and is looking at the possibility of riding a bike when the weather is good and taking the bus during bad weather. We'd love to remove one more car from the road and get rid of the payment!

Old 07-07-2009, 08:55 PM

Depending on what kind of car she drives, if she parks it in Detroit very often, someone else may take care of removing it for you. Friend of mine was happy about the Pontiac Grand Prix he bought used. He gave his older Taurus to his grandson. A week later, the Grand Prix was stolen. He got it back a few days later and within a week it was stolen again. A week after that the grandson's Taurus was stolen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit