Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2009, 05:29 PM

597 posts, read 1,294,523 times

Advertisements

Why Detroit is so decay?? I cannot believe it is happen with an USA city.What happen??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 09:58 PM

999 posts, read 4,513,983 times
Because we don't have the women, beaches or climate that you have in Rio. You know that Carnivale thing you folks do down there? The Detroit version is called the "Hoedown". Google it. You probably get a hoe down every now and then at Carnivale, but this is a different kind of hoedown.

Old 07-25-2009, 10:02 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,059,674 times
  • The Auto Industry is the majority of the economy in the area.
  • The majority of the Middle-Class and Rich left the city for the suburbs thus leaving the city to the poor and lower class people.
  • City Politicians only caring about themselves and not the city and the people.

Those are the big 3 main ones.

Old 07-25-2009, 10:21 PM

16,265 posts, read 42,984,230 times
Brazilians can't believe a lot of things about America.

I'm an American guy and lived in Brazil for six months. Believe me, I LOVED Brazil, immensily.

But the preconceptions of Americans was pretty funny. Brazil is so financially divided, that it is quite common to have maids. This is something that is almost unheard of in America.

I shared a house with about 50 Brazilians in a pension house. They were in shock that I did my own laundry and cooked my own meals. They were under the impression that all 365 million Americans are SO rich, that we ALL hire maids. The percantage of Americans with maids is SIGNIFICANTLY less than the percantage of Brazilians with maids.

Anyways, U.S. cities are and have been deteriotating for a long time. You'll also see tons of homeless everywhere as well.

Actually one of the things I loved so much about Brazil, was it reminded me so much of home - (I'd lived in Asia and Europe prior to giving Brazil a shot as a place to live). Well, things REMINDED me of home in many ways, with one noticeable exception. In Brazil, the poverty is in the fravelas, or the hillsides. Whereas in the U.S., it is right in the middle of the cities. Cities like Detroit, the people with money moved out, wheras in Brazil, the people with the money move in, and those without end up moving out. It's inverse.

So, it was actually VERY nice to live in Pinherios of Sao Paulo, and later Copocabana of Rio, and be in the center of everything, and have lots of people around.

Old 07-25-2009, 11:11 PM

4,874 posts, read 10,015,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Anyways, U.S. cities are and have been deteriotating for a long time. You'll also see tons of homeless everywhere as well.
Most cities are now past this point; instead the inner ring suburbs are decaying. But Detroit is in an odd situation as it is not recovering and not receiving an influx of well-to-do people.

Old 07-26-2009, 12:29 PM

1 posts, read 1,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAZILIAN View Post
Why Detroit is so decay?? I cannot believe it is happen with an USA city.What happen??
NAFTA, GATT, WTO, CAFTA, FTAA... arrogant executives and an apathetic public. Same all over the USA and world, really.

Old 07-26-2009, 12:53 PM

92,069 posts, read 122,294,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Brazilians can't believe a lot of things about America.

I'm an American guy and lived in Brazil for six months. Believe me, I LOVED Brazil, immensily.

But the preconceptions of Americans was pretty funny. Brazil is so financially divided, that it is quite common to have maids. This is something that is almost unheard of in America.

I shared a house with about 50 Brazilians in a pension house. They were in shock that I did my own laundry and cooked my own meals. They were under the impression that all 365 million Americans are SO rich, that we ALL hire maids. The percantage of Americans with maids is SIGNIFICANTLY less than the percantage of Brazilians with maids.

Actually one of the things I loved so much about Brazil, was it reminded me so much of home - (I'd lived in Asia and Europe prior to giving Brazil a shot as a place to live). Well, things REMINDED me of home in many ways, with one noticeable exception. In Brazil, the poverty is in the fravelas, or the hillsides. Whereas in the U.S., it is right in the middle of the cities. Cities like Detroit, the people with money moved out, wheras in Brazil, the people with the money move in, and those without end up moving out. It's inverse.

So, it was actually VERY nice to live in Pinherios of Sao Paulo, and later Copocabana of Rio, and be in the center of everything, and have lots of people around.
Actually, thanks to gentrification, you are actually seeing people with money moving back into parts of cities and many of the poor moving out to suburbs.

Old 07-26-2009, 02:53 PM

999 posts, read 4,513,983 times
Quote:
I shared a house with about 50 Brazilians in a pension house.
If we had 50 Brazilians dollars, we could wipe out the deficit and stimulate the economy!

Old 07-27-2009, 10:39 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,060,377 times
It was the SEX, LIES, and TEXT MESSAGES....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
View detailed profiles of: