Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 09:11 AM

72,817 posts, read 62,160,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The GreenVillain View Post
I lived in Metro Detroit from '87-'99 and since leaving have always followed the comings and goings of the Motor City. My last visit was in 2004.

My visit this time included a Tigers game at Comerica Park (the Tigers lost but the stadium was full of fans), a couple of excellent dining experiences, and a drive through the area. I was pleasantly surprised. First, I did not hear any "self-loathing" that I've heard that Detroiters and Michiganians are doing these days. Second, I found downtown Detroit (specifically Campus Martius area) to be improving and thirdly, I found the suburbs as lively and vibrant as ever.

I did notice that rush hour traffic on I-275 and I-96 was less than I remember. Back in '98 and '99 these freeways were jammed at 4:30 in the afternoon.

The Book-Cadillac Hotel downtown has been impressively renovated and should be key anchor to Washington Blvd. However, Woodward Avenue south of Grand Circus Park is still dead. Downtown Detroit is chock full of impressive early 20th century buildings - most awaiting a rebirth.

My visit convinced me that Detroit still has a future. I'm planning on a return visit next year and looking forward to seeing more progress. Perhaps the Tigers will win the next time I attend a game.
I am happy to see you had a good time. As for what you said about Detroit having a future, that is the very thing I am trying to convince some people. I don't consider Detroit a lost cause. A city on some very hard times, definitely. A lost cause, I don't think so. Some people have flat out said that Detroit should be wiped away. Personally, Detroit has its work cut out for it, and alot of it. But it is that work that should be done to get Detroit to come back again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 10:15 AM

316 posts, read 1,177,801 times
Yes the Detroit beer co! Had some great beers to drink and also had some nice appetizers. The place felt very historic, despite it not being around all that long. Next time I am in town I would love to stay at either the MGM Grand or the Book Cadillac hotel.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deslok View Post
Yes the Detroit beer co! Had some great beers to drink and also had some nice appetizers. The place felt very historic, despite it not being around all that long. Next time I am in town I would love to stay at either the MGM Grand or the Book Cadillac hotel.
Faygo is made there too.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:27 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,691,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman View Post
Glad the OP took the time to share this experience. Detroit is a great city that unfortunately fell into the hands of sub human thugs long ago, but if a competent and decent governing body is ever re-established it will certainly make a major comeback.
It's not just the government that's responsible. The people in the neighborhoods need to take charge. Until the city has some kind of tax base re-established -- and that could take a while, to put it diplomatically -- the police force will be WAY too small to mop up every mess Detroiters make, especially since they have so many commuters coming in from the 'burbs to buy their crack and heroin. (Meth is now locally available all over the state.)

It's more important to do prevention work at home. Keep your brat kids in the house on Devil's Night; change the locks so your good-for-nothing in-laws can't get in and pawn your stuff; join the neighborhood watch or block committee to help get the empy houses boarded up and cleared of junkies and crackheads. Volunteer (since you're on unemployment anyway) to be a homeroom parent at your kid's school. Turn your handgun in at the nearest PD branch office. FIGHT SOME CRIME.

Old 08-08-2009, 07:09 AM

30,702 posts, read 79,413,686 times
We lived in a place where the neighborhoods got organized and also banded together.

They did neghborhood walking patrol, they had all kinds of incredibly cool neighborhood events, and they became political powerhouses. Essentially the neighborhood associations ran the City. The mayor and council would not cross them. The city reversed from one of the worst areas in the country to a desireable area (or at elast semi-desireable - they never got the schools stragitened out).

More recently the neighborhoods lost their activism and cohesiveness and the City has fallen backwards somewhat. but it can be done. Even really horrible cities can be truned around. You just have to pressure the government to change their priorities.

Old 08-20-2009, 11:40 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,691,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
We lived in a place where the neighborhoods got organized and also banded together.

They did neghborhood walking patrol, they had all kinds of incredibly cool neighborhood events, and they became political powerhouses. Essentially the neighborhood associations ran the City. The mayor and council would not cross them. The city reversed from one of the worst areas in the country to a desireable area (or at elast semi-desireable - they never got the schools stragitened out).

More recently the neighborhoods lost their activism and cohesiveness and the City has fallen backwards somewhat. but it can be done. Even really horrible cities can be truned around. You just have to pressure the government to change their priorities.
But first you have to get off your collective duff and ORGANIZE, as CJ says.

Old 08-20-2009, 06:41 PM

999 posts, read 4,514,973 times
Quote:
Turn your handgun in at the nearest PD branch office. FIGHT SOME CRIME.
I hope you're suggesting he turn in his handgun in trade for a shotgun because a shotgun would be a better choice, and not because you think he'll never need a gun living in Detroit.

Old 08-23-2009, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
It's not just the government that's responsible. The people in the neighborhoods need to take charge. Until the city has some kind of tax base re-established -- and that could take a while, to put it diplomatically -- the police force will be WAY too small to mop up every mess Detroiters make, especially since they have so many commuters coming in from the 'burbs to buy their crack and heroin. (Meth is now locally available all over the state.)

It's more important to do prevention work at home. Keep your brat kids in the house on Devil's Night; change the locks so your good-for-nothing in-laws can't get in and pawn your stuff; join the neighborhood watch or block committee to help get the empy houses boarded up and cleared of junkies and crackheads. Volunteer (since you're on unemployment anyway) to be a homeroom parent at your kid's school. Turn your handgun in at the nearest PD branch office. FIGHT SOME CRIME.
I agree with everything else except handing in the handgun. In that case, only criminals will have guns and then the criminals can prey on the citizens.

Old 02-13-2010, 04:57 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,085,730 times
I've said it a million times, and will continue to. I love Detroit and the immense amount of soul that you can only find there. It's a special place to me and many other people. My friend and I spend most of our weekends in the D, as well as good chunks of our breaks from school.

I wasn't around to see it before 08-09, but today's Detroit, however depressed it may be, has more character than any other city I've ever been in. Some of the finest people you'll ever meet. I LOVE Detroit. Great food, great climate, great people, great city.

Old 02-13-2010, 06:02 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,867,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
I've said it a million times, and will continue to. I love Detroit and the immense amount of soul that you can only find there. It's a special place to me and many other people. My friend and I spend most of our weekends in the D, as well as good chunks of our breaks from school.

I wasn't around to see it before 08-09, but today's Detroit, however depressed it may be, has more character than any other city I've ever been in. Some of the finest people you'll ever meet. I LOVE Detroit. Great food, great climate, great people, great city.
Detroit has a great vibe...and your right, great people!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit