U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-02-2007, 07:49 PM
 
195 posts, read 1,037,098 times
Reputation: 73

Advertisements

I just moved from Pontiac last year after having lived there for 5 years. Up until now, I live in Minneapolis, it was the nicest place that I had ever lived. Besides a couple shooting victims ending up in the street out in front of our house about 4 years ago, and various property crime here and there. It was otherwise a wonderful place and I miss our house and neighborhood.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-03-2007, 07:57 AM
 
Location: Metro Detroit, MI
3,490 posts, read 2,916,371 times
Reputation: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Icy River Vagabond View Post
I just moved from Pontiac last year after having lived there for 5 years. Up until now, I live in Minneapolis, it was the nicest place that I had ever lived. Besides a couple shooting victims ending up in the street out in front of our house about 4 years ago, and various property crime here and there. It was otherwise a wonderful place and I miss our house and neighborhood.
Is this post serious? Seriously!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2007, 10:22 AM
 
1 posts, read 14,601 times
Reputation: 11
Default Pontiac

If you are looking to avoid random crime in Pontiac you should avoid areas off of the main streets. Most crime in Pontiac occurs in the inner neighborhoods. Pontiac has an excellent albiet jaded police force. It is very similar to Detroit.

Streets and areas to avoid would be all non main feeder streets.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2007, 02:44 PM
 
195 posts, read 1,037,098 times
Reputation: 73
yes, serious.. Why not?? The other cities that I have lived in are Flint and Detroit..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2007, 10:56 AM
 
Location: Metro Detroit, MI
3,490 posts, read 2,916,371 times
Reputation: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Icy River Vagabond View Post
yes, serious.. Why not?? The other cities that I have lived in are Flint and Detroit..
Ah, well now that makes sense then. No offense of course, but Pontiac would be nicer than Detroit or Flint.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2007, 09:44 AM
 
2 posts, read 17,894 times
Reputation: 10
I live in Pontiac off of Ochard Lake near Sylvan Lake and right at the border of Bloomfield Hills. That is a nice area. Quiet. Which is VERY important to me. Washington Park is quite nice working class neighborhood and is pretty quiet especially towards the front of the neighborhood and near the golf course. As far as Pontiac, once you cross Woodward heading East then you run into more "dangerous" areas. Stay Northwest towards Waterford and Bloomfield Hills.

But yes the areas you mentioned are quite nice along with Birmingham. And Royal has a great "walking" downtown area and nightlife.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outsider! View Post
On a related topic, what areas (neighborhoods) are good to live in around Pontiac? I've heard Royal Oak, Bloomfield Hills, Troy are good. Is this true? Any others (example: West Bloomfield)? Come on folks, don't be shy
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2008, 02:44 PM
 
3 posts, read 32,020 times
Reputation: 10
Default Enter At Own Risk

Born and raised here in this pitiful city. 53 years old and have seen Pontiac go from beautiful to ugly. I would not feel safe walking any street in Pontiac after dark, and would use caution during daylight hours. Crime is off the hook, we barely have any police left, with only 2-4 on duty at night. Our city leaders are corrupt and could care less about the safety of our citizens.
I would not recommend any one to come in this city if they don't need to. If I were smart I would have gotten out when the getting was good.
As of 1/19/2008 there has been 3 homocides and numerous assaults.....
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ENTER PONTIAC AT YOUR OWN RISK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2008, 03:15 PM
 
3 posts, read 32,020 times
Reputation: 10
Stay on the main roads, keep your doors locked, and your gun loaded if you have one.
Seriously, crime is off the hook here in Pontiac, and our police department has been reduced by about 50%. I have lived here my entire life, 53 years, I avoid the city as much as possible and there is not a street in Pontiac that I would walk down after dark.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2008, 11:51 PM
 
2 posts, read 28,242 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotWhatWeWere View Post
Born and raised here in this pitiful city. 53 years old and have seen Pontiac go from beautiful to ugly. I would not feel safe walking any street in Pontiac after dark, and would use caution during daylight hours. Crime is off the hook, we barely have any police left, with only 2-4 on duty at night. Our city leaders are corrupt and could care less about the safety of our citizens.
I would not recommend any one to come in this city if they don't need to. If I were smart I would have gotten out when the getting was good.
As of 1/19/2008 there has been 3 homocides and numerous assaults.....
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ENTER PONTIAC AT YOUR OWN RISK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotWhatWeWere View Post
Stay on the main roads, keep your doors locked, and your gun loaded if you have one.
Seriously, crime is off the hook here in Pontiac, and our police department has been reduced by about 50%. I have lived here my entire life, 53 years, I avoid the city as much as possible and there is not a street in Pontiac that I would walk down after dark.

it is persons like yourself that give Pontiac a "bad" name.

i have lived in the city since i was about 6.

there used to be gang problems, and the actual crime in pontiac was at its peak for about a 5 year period appx 9-14 years ago.

the police force has been altered, but there are still more than the amount of officers that you believe on force at night.

there are an average of 8-10 pontiac officers on duty at night, along with another 7-14 oakland county officers.

what part of pontiac do you live in, saginaw st.? if you are on the north side, it is just fine. and actually, there have been more break-ins in surrounding auburn hills lately, you just need to know the facts and reports.

you may also live down martin luther, about 1-2 miles past m-59, that is also not the greatest neighborhood. but for as many bad neighborhoods, ther are just as many good neighborhoods.

did you have a blindfold on between 94 1nd 97?? crime was at its worst then.

i mean no disrespect, but you are either clueless, or live in a bad area, or you are just totally paranoid.

stay locked in your house, keep bad mouthing the city, be my guest, just know that you are wrong.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2008, 11:52 PM
 
2 posts, read 28,242 times
Reputation: 11
p.s. there are homicides all over the u.s. not just here.

also, there were recently 2 bodies found in clarkston, so does that make that area soo bad too? they were found within 300ft of a walking trail. hmm.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
>
Powered by Foreclosure.com
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top