Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 02:58 AM

13 posts, read 48,332 times

Advertisements

I found out today that it is highly likely my husband will receive military orders assigning him for at least a year to a unit in Inkster. My online search has told me we don't want to live there.

Actually I'm a bit afraid of this after my online search. I live in Northern Utah, in a Salt Lake City suburb, which while not perfect seems much more racially integrated than Detroit Metro We are a bi-racial couple, white and Hispanic. I'm not sure we would fit in the "white" areas. We have a bi-racial daughter.

Also the crime stats have really scared me. And I live in the highest crime zip code in my county. I've also lived in "ghetto" SLC. There I was worried about my car, not my life.

We are LDS, so if there happens to be a neighborhood where the Mormons live (but not by the temple because that's WAY out of our price range.) I'd love to know where that is.

My quick research has led me to be looking at Novi, Canton, Royal Oaks, Ann Arbor. Can anyone give me a better idea of where to look? I don't want him saddled with an insane commute either, but 40 minutes or so doesn't sound that bad. It's about the same time he currently commutes. We would be looking for a middle class area. Good schools are very important as well.

This will be a year assignment, with possible extensions. We will be renting for that first year. I would like something with a private back yard (Condo/house doesn't matter). Price range is $1100 to $1400 a month.

So where should I look? Nice neigborhood, good schools, accepting. I will be making a hunting trip out.

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 03:10 AM

Another question? What about Dearborn and Dearborn Heights?

Old 08-12-2009, 04:23 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,600,127 times
In spite of the negative things that you've heard about the Detroit area... with a 40 minute commute and $1100 to $1400 per month to work with, you should have no trouble at all finding something that you like, or at least can tolerate. That gives you a ton of options.

I think your best bet is going to be places to the west... Plymouth twp, Canton, Novi, or even Ann Arbor. Royal Oak would not be a fun commute.

I can't imagine that anyone will really mind that you are a white/hispanic couple. I don't know how it was in Utah, but that will be a non-issue here. I can't imagine ANY problems coming from that.

Remember that most of the negativity you see on here is from people who have been hurt by the economy. It doesn't sound like that is an issue for you. When you take the job market out of the equation, there are plenty of nice places to live in southeast Michigan.

Sorry that I couldn't give more specifics on where exactly you should look, but I'm sure someone else could help with that.

Old 08-12-2009, 04:58 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,152,211 times
I can't help with specific areas (I live about an hour north of Detroit), except the ones you and michigan83 mentioned are all pretty nice.

But I too moved here in 2001 from the Rocky Mountain west, and yes, it is much more segregated here - that's been my impression from day one. However, I have a good friend (she's white) married to a black man. Their daughters were in the Grand Blanc schools from grade school through graduation...Grand Blanc is pretty affluent and lily white...and had no problems because of their "mixed race." They were good, active, smart kids and popular and involved.

The crime stats can look scary indeed. But if you dig a little deeper, you will find that most of the crime is centered around poverty, gangs and drugs. If you live in a reasonably nice area, have education and employment, don't belong to a gang, do drugs, hang out with people who do, and avoid sleazy clubs, you'll be fine IMO. I've lived in Flint for almost five years, haven't had a single problem in that regard, and feel perfectly safe.

Old 08-12-2009, 10:05 AM

Thanks for your replies. It helps to know I'm on the right path. My mom cold moved from UT to Los Angeles 30 years ago and found the city I grew up in. I will be bringing her with me to help look since she's done this before (moved to a new city which you know pretty little about.) At least I have the internt and GPS to help me, right?

Good to know that we shouldn't have a problem because of our different skin colors.

Old 08-12-2009, 11:19 AM

189 posts, read 522,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorticiaA View Post
Good to know that we shouldn't have a problem because of our different skin colors.
For the most part I think the suburban white-flight segregation in Detroit shouldn't be an issue for you. If you've "bought in" to the suburban lifestyle (which is sounds like you have), and you're a typical suburban family, I don't think you'll have any problems at all. In fact, being a mixed-race couple in the suburbs is probably easier than being a black couple in the suburbs around Detroit.

As for where to look... sounds like you're on the right track. As a general rule, the further you get from Detroit the nicer the area will be. 40 minutes from Inkster, even in rush-hour traffic, gives you plenty of options. Plymouth, Northville, Novi, South Lyon are all extreme suburbia and very comfortable for families. If you're looking for something a little more "hip" then I suppose Royal Oak (bad commute down 696/275) may be alright, but Ann Arbor would probably be better. I have a feeling though you'll be looking for a more typical suburbia-type setting. Dearborn/Dearborn Heights do have some very nice areas, but probably aren't what you're looking for. I don't know if it matters to you either, but that area tends to be heavily populated by middle eastern immigrants. Some people get along great in that area, others don't.

If you're more into the country setting you may have to be wiling to drive a bit further (Saline, Brighton, etc).

With your price range and the current market, I've got a feeling you'll be extremely pleased with your options in the Novi/South Lyon area. 96 can be a pain for commuting in the morning occassionally, but it's not nearly as bad as 75 or 696. A forty minute commute would be worse than most in Detroit.

As for the LDS... no clue on that one. Religion is really a non-issue for most folks in Detroit. I have no idea how the dynamics within the church will go, or even what areas/price-ranges the houses around your temples would be in. I don't even know where you'd start looking for groups of Mormons living together.

Old 08-12-2009, 11:47 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,203,753 times
LDS in Dearborn at Pelham and Rotunda. Very close to Inkster...

Old 08-12-2009, 04:10 PM

902 posts, read 1,925,567 times
I'm pretty sure they have a LDS in Southfield , Farmington , a real nice one in Bloomfield Hills . I'm sure your church in Utah could refer you to a location (s) in our area .

Old 08-12-2009, 08:12 PM

866 posts, read 4,256,232 times
I agree with other posters...Novi, Canton, Plymouth Twp and the west suburbs are your best bet.

Old 08-13-2009, 03:10 AM

Thanks so much for the guidance on where to look. I've been east of the Mississippi once and that was because I ensured I drove over it while in St. Louis visiting my husband while on a military training break. I grew up in LA, moved to UT in high school, and am pretty much a West Coast girl.

I'm a social worker. I'm assuming that the job market for social workers there is as craptastic as it is here. I was laid off from the State of Utah. Would it even be worth it for me to look right now? We are able to live comfortably on his income, I just like working.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit