Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 02:40 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,650,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTUCache View Post
I'm sorry... but while I wasn't scratching my head reading your post I was laughing. I've had college professors who didn't cram this much jargon into an hour long lecture, let alone an internet forum post.

What time is the recitation for this sociology class? Are we going to be graded on attendance?
LOL....just a reflection of the poor college education you received I guess. You certainly got a sub par education if you you say is true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 03:01 PM

189 posts, read 520,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
You certainly got a sub par education if you you say is true.
Best sentence ever. Let me guess, a PhD in Huked on Fonics?

Apparently your paradigm needs to be altered in order to reflect an enhanced, unmitigated perspective of others' education level. blah blah blah blah... yes, I got a good college education. I just don't feel some obscure need to try and cram it down others' throats at every possible opportunity.

All in good fun.

Old 10-15-2009, 04:02 PM

358 posts, read 1,058,820 times
Having driven both Chicago and Detroit suburbs, the Detroit suburbs that I have seen are much nicer. There are hilly areas and lots of trees. The Chicago suburban landscape is more like what used to be prairie cornfields.

Old 10-15-2009, 05:07 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,650,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTUCache View Post
Best sentence ever. Let me guess, a PhD in Huked on Fonics?

Apparently your paradigm needs to be altered in order to reflect an enhanced, unmitigated perspective of others' education level. blah blah blah blah... yes, I got a good college education. I just don't feel some obscure need to try and cram it down others' throats at every possible opportunity.

All in good fun.

Yes, I am guilty of projection. I thrive to learn new things. Hence, when someone presents incorrect information or has an opinion based upon a faulty premise, if I know what is correct I will share it thinking that people are like me in that they seek to expand their understanding? The facts are that the Detroit suburbs do not have an unemployment rate of near 30% and it’s also not true the suburbs of Detroit have lost over half its population. In fact, the Detroit suburbs as a collective are near their peak population and probably reached their peak this decade before the economy dived.

However, you might be right in that most people in America are not looking for understanding, but rather, to simply cling to an opinion.

Old 10-15-2009, 06:19 PM

364 posts, read 875,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtucache View Post
having just moved from the detroit burbs to

if you've got a solid foundation for work and family there, i can't imagine any reason why you wouldn't want to live in detroit.
amen!

Old 10-16-2009, 11:52 PM

398 posts, read 1,036,296 times
Detroit burbs are MUCH better than Chicago burbs.

Chicago burbs have higher taxes, worse congestion, and more crime issues. I would recommend moving to suburban Detroit.

Old 10-17-2009, 11:10 AM

6 posts, read 16,356 times
Yes taxes are cheaper, and there is less traffic in the Detroit suburbs, but I wouldn't move there unless you have VERY secure employment and plan on staying for the long haul.

Housing is much cheaper than the Chicago suburbs, and the cost of living is also lower.

The suburbs are great. You won't notice much of a difference between the Chicago suburbs and Detroit suburbs.

Plymouth-Canton is an EXCELLENT area, with great schools. If you do plan on moving to MI, I would look there first.

We relocated from Chicago to the Detroit suburbs 7 years ago, and have since moved back to Chicago. We are stuck with a house in Westland that is basically worth nothing. We had it on the market for 1.5 years, and it didn't sell.

Now we're renting it out for 1/2 the mortgage payment.

Michigan is nice, but if you do move there and purchase property, be prepared to stay a looooong, long while, or you will be setting yourself up for a loss.

Old 10-17-2009, 09:00 PM

3,811 posts, read 6,402,913 times
Detroit has some of the nicest suburbs in America. Just one of many facts constantly ignored by the legions of bufoons that love to kick the metro and the state of MI every chance they get. To hell with them........come on over and make our home your home.

....and, BTW, get off Indentured Servants back. What, is it a crime in this country now to be intelligent and actually possess the capability of expressing said intelligence? Judging by the majority of posts I read on CD I'd almost think so. Even if you don't agree with something, don't knock someone for putting their knowledge and experience to work in a public forum.

Last edited by Tyryztoll; 10-17-2009 at 09:08 PM..

Old 10-18-2009, 02:14 PM
SBD SBD started this thread

52 posts, read 204,934 times
Thanks for all the responses...does anyone know if there are any predictions from the Realtor's Associations or other groups in regards to a rebound for Michigan real estate - or is it gloomy for as far out as anyone can predict? Thanks

Old 10-18-2009, 04:15 PM

6 posts, read 16,356 times
WESTLAND, MI Real Estate Market Report for October 18 2009

http://www.redcapitalgroup.com/Resea...troit_2Q09.pdf

A somber prediction for U.S. housing market | Detroit Free Press | Freep.com (http://www.freep.com/article/20090920/BUSINESS07/909200428/1002/rss02 - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit