Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 09:28 AM

32 posts, read 144,275 times

Advertisements

just dont move to inkster
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 05:42 AM

69 posts, read 219,622 times
Default Beautiful homes available in highly rated school districts

I love Chicago, have 3 kids living there now downtown. Metro Detroit suburbs are very nice, and with housing prices falling 50% in many desirable suburbs you can find a great house a nice price easily.

The only hitch is NO ONE can predict how long it will take for housing to rebound, but it most certainly will be tied to establishing new industries here.

I recently showed a young couple relocating here a brand new Craftsman style house in downtown Birmingham (2800 sq ft with finished lower level), high end finishes priced at $350,000. It was a foreclosure, the builder removed the kitchen so it would need a new one. It could probably be bought for $300,000 and 50-70K for a kitchen is a fantastic find. Houses on this street used to be $800 and up.

Troy, Birmingham, Bloomfield Hills, Northville, Novi, all top rated schools. Plymouth-Canton,Rochester, Farmington and W Bloomfield running closely behind.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:32 AM

59 posts, read 306,032 times
West Bloomfield schools are superior? To what, Detroit's? I'd look into Cranbrook private.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:49 AM

205 posts, read 651,635 times
West Bloomfield schools are not very good. Increasing violence and tension between the students based upon descent. Do real estate searches in WB and you will see the houses with Farmington, Bloomfield, or Birmingham schools be sure to point that feature.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:58 AM

32 posts, read 144,275 times
all those suburbs are pretty much safe.

Old 10-29-2009, 03:38 PM

30,703 posts, read 79,445,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorihoop View Post
Seriously Cold, they had trucks on standby?? That's awesome, and I wish all the suburbs would plow like that.

I do not know if they are on standby. I just know that we see them out salting before the snow has even covered the pavement and they begin plowing as it collects. As my kids put it, "the snow never even has a chance."

We had one or two times that I can remember when they failed to plw excpet the main streets. I do not know why. I ended up pushing a lot of cars down the road becuase I had 4x4 and they simply could nto move. But other than a few rare instances, they are out plowing right away.

I do know that the City of Detroit is really bad about snow removal. The freeways seem to get attention right away. I really do not see snow driving as a huge issue (except during part of this past winter when my truck siezed up and I had to drive the camaro which would get stuck in a pilled slushy in the summer time.). I rarely had the chance to use the 4wd option in my truck and even in the camaro there were less then ten or twelve days that snow or ice were really a problem (of course on those days, it was a really serious problem). Our biggest problem is our driveway. We get stuck in our driveway all the time.

Old 02-03-2010, 05:56 AM

12,999 posts, read 18,819,508 times
Sorry for dredging up an old thread, but I expect the Detroit area to be a retirement destination in a few years. Cheap housing and you still have some of the urban amenities, such as sports teams. Sure the job market is about dead, but your Social Security checks will go a lot further.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:57 AM

15 posts, read 39,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbailey View Post
I recently showed a young couple relocating here a brand new Craftsman style house in downtown Birmingham (2800 sq ft with finished lower level), high end finishes priced at $350,000. It was a foreclosure, the builder removed the kitchen so it would need a new one. It could probably be bought for $300,000 and 50-70K for a kitchen is a fantastic find. Houses on this street used to be $800 and up.

The whole problem with people buying these homes (IMO) is that they over look that itty bitty thing called property tax. You might buy it for 300k but you will still be paying tax on much higher dollar amount than the sales price. For any one thinking about moving to Troy I have been seeing protest signs against a 28% property tax increase.
Only in B'ham would a 350k fixer upper be considered a bargain.
While house prices have dropped here taxes have not. Just another thing to consider.

Old 02-07-2010, 11:01 PM

333 posts, read 1,149,802 times
Well, Chicago and Detroit's suburbs are similar in very many ways. Just like in Chicago, there are the bad places and the good places.

For example, you probably wouldn't particularly enjoy living in Englewood (which is similar to our Oak Park), or Cicero (which is similar to our Hamtramck or Eastpointe); but I'm sure that you'd enjoy to live in your Oak Park (similar to our Hazel Park or Warren), or River Forest (similar to our Sterling Heights)

It all depends on where you live. The north central suburbs (Warren, Hazel Park, Madison Heights, Ferndale, Berkley and Pleasant Ridge) are very nice. These are mostly upper-blue-collar and lower-white-collar cities which pride themselves in community values. With the exception of Warren [which is the third largest city in Michigan], these communities are very tight knit and small, making for a very pleasant, small-townish atmosphere despite the many necessities that are available nearby.

Further northwest, in communities such as Royal Oak, Birmingham and Huntington Woods, you'll expect a higher level of affluency, but it will become obvious that it is much less neighborly than the poorer communities.

West of the North Central communities is Southfield, Oak Park and Farmington Hills. Southfield is considered as the commercial center of Detroit, and has a fair share of affluency; but also has quite a bit of poverty. This area of poverty is settled mostly around Oak Park and the 8 Mile Baseline. However, in contrast, Farmington Hills is very affluent, but it is spread out quite a bit despite being the largest community in Oakland County.

East of the Northern Central Suburbs is Eastpointe and Roseville. Eastpointe and Roseville are often branded as 'Diet Ghetto'. While crime and poverty aren't too big of an issue, the population is very young and ignorant, and things such as noise pollution, poor yard maintenence, and low-ranked schools are what these communities truely suffer from.

On the other hand, there are two other communities east of Northern Central, Fraser and Roseville. These are very middle-class communities with plenty of commercial location.

I'm not too knowledgeable on other cities around, and I wish you the best of luck.

Old 02-08-2010, 01:43 PM

5,951 posts, read 13,050,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by [JS] View Post
Well, Chicago and Detroit's suburbs are similar in very many ways. Just like in Chicago, there are the bad places and the good places.

For example, you probably wouldn't particularly enjoy living in Englewood (which is similar to our Oak Park), or Cicero (which is similar to our Hamtramck or Eastpointe); but I'm sure that you'd enjoy to live in your Oak Park (similar to our Hazel Park or Warren), or River Forest (similar to our Sterling Heights)
While I agree that Chicagos and Detroits suburbs are similar in many ways, with all due respect I disagree with your comparisons.

Englewood??? Englewood is one of the most blighted and decayed neighborhood in Chicago with all the problems that the worst areas of Detroit suffer from. Bombed out, vacant fields, where once stood buildings, wide boulevards with boarded up store fronts, etc. Lots of crime, drugs, poverty, etc.

From what I understand about Oak Pak, MI, its not necessarily the best in the area, but its nothing like that right?? From what I understand given its historic Jewish population and current African American population, maybe the Chicago equivalent would be a combination of Skokie and say Hillside?

Cicero? Given that Cicero is about 80% hispanic, I would say southwest Detroit (the only area in SE michigan to have a huge hispanic population would be the best comparison). Same with Little Village and Pilsen (compared to SW Detroit).

Hamtramck, with its lingering historic Polish vibe, and some recent influx of artist/musician types could be compared to a far SW or far NW neighborhood of Chicago proper or even Berwyn.

From what I know Hazel Park or Warren are NOTHING like Oak Park. Hazel Park and Warren are very white-working class neighborhoods, while Oak Park is a very chic, upper middle class, liberal, intellectual, walkable, artsy areas. Chicagos Oak Park, could be compared to Royal Oak. While Hazel Park and Warren could be best compared to SW Chicago suburbs such as Burbank, Chicago Ridge, Lyons, or Oak Lawn. Or River Grove/Norridge on the far NW side of Chicago.

Sterling Heights is more sprawling, modern, middle class suburbia. The best Chicago comparisons would be Orland Park/Tinley Park, or possibly Carol Stream/Elk Grove Vilage, etc. in the northwest burbs. River Forest is old money, older classic houses. River Forest would be better compared to the Gross Points, or possibly Huntington Woods?

I could be wrong still, but I think these would be better comparisons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit