Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 05:24 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,106,704 times

Advertisements

One thing about Detroit and Michigan is that driving is a big part of life there. Buy a small house and buy one of these:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 05:28 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,106,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
While I agree that Chicagos and Detroits suburbs are similar in many ways, with all due respect I disagree with your comparisons.

Englewood??? Englewood is one of the most blighted and decayed neighborhood in Chicago with all the problems that the worst areas of Detroit suffer from. Bombed out, vacant fields, where once stood buildings, wide boulevards with boarded up store fronts, etc. Lots of crime, drugs, poverty, etc.

From what I understand about Oak Pak, MI, its not necessarily the best in the area, but its nothing like that right?? From what I understand given its historic Jewish population and current African American population, maybe the Chicago equivalent would be a combination of Skokie and say Hillside?

Cicero? Given that Cicero is about 80% hispanic, I would say southwest Detroit (the only area in SE michigan to have a huge hispanic population would be the best comparison). Same with Little Village and Pilsen (compared to SW Detroit).

Hamtramck, with its lingering historic Polish vibe, and some recent influx of artist/musician types could be compared to a far SW or far NW neighborhood of Chicago proper or even Berwyn.

From what I know Hazel Park or Warren are NOTHING like Oak Park. Hazel Park and Warren are very white-working class neighborhoods, while Oak Park is a very chic, upper middle class, liberal, intellectual, walkable, artsy areas. Chicagos Oak Park, could be compared to Royal Oak. While Hazel Park and Warren could be best compared to SW Chicago suburbs such as Burbank, Chicago Ridge, Lyons, or Oak Lawn. Or River Grove/Norridge on the far NW side of Chicago.

Sterling Heights is more sprawling, modern, middle class suburbia. The best Chicago comparisons would be Orland Park/Tinley Park, or possibly Carol Stream/Elk Grove Vilage, etc. in the northwest burbs. River Forest is old money, older classic houses. River Forest would be better compared to the Gross Points, or possibly Huntington Woods?

I could be wrong still, but I think these would be better comparisons.
Oak Park, IL is nothing like Royal Oak, it's way more dense and way more expensive.

Sterling Heights is right on with EGV. River Forest is nothing like the Grosse Pt. area or Huntington Woods, again, massive density and class difference.

Oak Park, MI isn't that bad. Hell, Southfield isn't even that bad. Just because there are some blacks doesn't make it a dangerous place. I feel safe walking around Oak Park, MI at night, and have done it MANY MANY times with no trouble. It's not as poor or run down as people make it out to be... it's just not cosmopolitan.

Old 02-12-2010, 08:27 PM

5,985 posts, read 13,127,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
Oak Park, IL is nothing like Royal Oak, it's way more dense and way more expensive.

Sterling Heights is right on with EGV. River Forest is nothing like the Grosse Pt. area or Huntington Woods, again, massive density and class difference.

Oak Park, MI isn't that bad. Hell, Southfield isn't even that bad. Just because there are some blacks doesn't make it a dangerous place. I feel safe walking around Oak Park, MI at night, and have done it MANY MANY times with no trouble. It's not as poor or run down as people make it out to be... it's just not cosmopolitan.
You are right about comparing Oak Park and Royal Oak. I guess I was just thinking in terms of the fact that both are respectively one of the most "hip", "vibrant" suburbs in their respective metro areas.

You're also right about River Forest, it is very close to "the action."

The north shore north of Wilmette is what most people compare the Gross Pointe area too. Isn't Huntington Woods fairly upscale? When I drove through the area last summer it kind of looked it.

Oak Park, MI is fairly diverse though from what I understand even its not "cosmopolitan".

Old 02-14-2010, 09:27 PM

333 posts, read 1,154,620 times
Honestly, I did most of the comparisons from basic research. Oak Park (Michigan) does have it's fair share of blight, but for the most part it is decent. Cicero's comparison was also based on blight and the likes.

As for Hazel Park and Warren, they are mostly on the lower middle class range of income. I had infact mistaken Oak Park (Illinois) for Oak Lawn, though; and I thank you for that correction. Lyons seems to be the best match according to statistics and what I see from Google Street View; although houses in both Hazel Park and Warren are a little larger (usually 2-bedroom WWII bungalows with a second story and third bedroom built in the roofing in Hazel Park; and 3-bedroom 1-story ranch houses in Warren)

As far as Sterling Heights, I could honestly say you could expect the housing quality of River Forest with the sprawl of Tinley Park.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:26 PM

1,273 posts, read 4,420,131 times
The Grosse Pointes really aren't anything like anything in Chicago. The North Shore is much more like Birmingham and Bloomfield Hills with lake frontage.

Old 02-19-2010, 02:35 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,560,804 times
I know both places very well and would choose to stay in the Chicago area, for obvious reasons. The Chicago area is pretty much everything the Detroit (and its burbs) area is not, even though a number of communities are similar to each other. But, in either case, you cant compare the city proper with the rest of the metro area.

Old 02-21-2010, 08:16 AM

30 posts, read 63,950 times
I'm living in Chicago right now and getting ready to move to the Detroit area, I'm from Michigan originally so being closer to friends and family is going to be nice.

Given the comparative living costs though Detroit just makes a lot more sense right now. Most of the really neat Chicago things that you can't do in Detroit I only do a few times a year- shopping, seeing some of the shows, etc. The 10% sales tax is year round, everything is more expensive, and traffic is a nightmare.

There's lots of folks that like the city, but I'd rather live somewhere cheaper and drive or take the train in once or twice a year to do the shopping and so on.

Old 02-22-2010, 01:34 PM

113 posts, read 245,312 times
It was a few years back, but my Grandmother had a little bungalow in Gross Point Shores, not far from the Outer Mack. Boy, you cross the outer Mack and it was scary, but GPS was beautiful, and not far from Lake Windsor. I think it has a lot of appeal. I think the real estate swap value between the Northern Chicago Burbs and Detroit burbs is quite positive.

Old 04-23-2010, 11:10 AM

1 posts, read 2,915 times
Default Detroit burbs

I am a native Detroiter and sad to see my core city in such bad shape. However, I have lived in the 'burbs for 17 years. I have visited Chicago's premier burbs such as Highland Park and I must say, I prefer Detroit's though I prefer the core city of Chicago to Detroit. The burbs here are prettier, more treed, hilly, and if you move north in Oakland County, full of truly beautiful, spectacular lakes. The housing market is cheap now, so what you can get here is much, much cheaper than in Chicagoland with better looking acreage. I say go for it if you have stable employment. The suburbs are the same everywhere, pretty much.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:48 AM

201 posts, read 829,238 times
glad i found this thread, as I am in a similiar spot as the OP. I may also have a job oppurtunity down the road that opens the door for a move from Chicago to the Detroit area. Wife and I are early 30s, professionals, 1 yr old and working on #2 We have always felt the suburbs of Detroit, were far more desireable than the suburbs of Chicago. We love the "city" of Chicago, but if we are destined for suburbia, a prettier, hillier, cheaper area is quite appealing.

So, when looking at the Detroit metro, one can be quite overwhelmed, as with any sprawling area. We are looking for a middle/upper middle class area, not sharing property lines with billionaires, but preferably areas free of apartments and low income housing. We love lakes and thats a plus but with little ones not sure a prerequisite. Obviously schools, parks, and overall things to do is a must. We would love to be in a walkable town, as we both love to get out on our feet. most of my time spent for work will be in the high concentration business parks (southfield, Troy, etc.) and very little time downtown. Birmingham looks like a nice place, kind of Naperville-esque for those that know the Chicago suburbs. would be great having a good sized home (3-4,000 sq. ft), decent yard, but not remote and not in a secluded area.

as far as budget, we'd like to keep it under $600k, as I'm not sure where the market goes, and the lower price would limit downside for obvious reasons.

any advice on areas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit