Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 11:36 AM

30 posts, read 63,943 times

Advertisements

600k is a fortune in metro-Detroit housing. Depending on where the job is located, I'd look around Lake Orion- it's nice, lake-front isn't ridiculously overpriced, there are lots of nice homes, and the schools are fairly good. If you need to be closer in, Northville, Plymouth, or the Bloomfields are probably a good place to start looking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 12:30 PM

5,976 posts, read 13,115,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOD220 View Post
glad i found this thread, as I am in a similiar spot as the OP. I may also have a job oppurtunity down the road that opens the door for a move from Chicago to the Detroit area. Wife and I are early 30s, professionals, 1 yr old and working on #2 We have always felt the suburbs of Detroit, were far more desireable than the suburbs of Chicago. We love the "city" of Chicago, but if we are destined for suburbia, a prettier, hillier, cheaper area is quite appealing.
So, when looking at the Detroit metro, one can be quite overwhelmed, as with any sprawling area. We are looking for a middle/upper middle class area, not sharing property lines with billionaires, but preferably areas free of apartments and low income housing. We love lakes and thats a plus but with little ones not sure a prerequisite. Obviously schools, parks, and overall things to do is a must. We would love to be in a walkable town, as we both love to get out on our feet. most of my time spent for work will be in the high concentration business parks (southfield, Troy, etc.) and very little time downtown. Birmingham looks like a nice place, kind of Naperville-esque for those that know the Chicago suburbs. would be great having a good sized home (3-4,000 sq. ft), decent yard, but not remote and not in a secluded area.

as far as budget, we'd like to keep it under $600k, as I'm not sure where the market goes, and the lower price would limit downside for obvious reasons.

any advice on areas?
As much as I defend Detroit, I wil say you can find the same cheaper, hillier, and prettier suburbs in Chicago, but you do have to go a bit further out.

Much of western Lake county, and eastern McHenry county has that. Also if you look in the southwest suburbs around Lemont/Willow Springs, and Palos area you can find this.

Birmigham does is similar to Naperville sort of. Both of them have vibrant walkable downtowns.

People seem to value Chicagoland and Illinois only for the excitement and culture of central Chicago, and value metro Detroit and Michigan for nature and scenery.

There is similar nature and scenery in Chicagoland and Illinois but its a little less obvious and more off the beaten path. Likewise you can find vibrancy and culture in metro Detroit and Michigan, but its going to be more spread out. IE: Royal Oak, Birmingham, Dearborn, Ann Arbor, in addition to Detroit.

Check out my last post on the thread: "Is Chicago a "dead" city.

Old 03-27-2011, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airmel View Post
I am a native Detroiter and sad to see my core city in such bad shape. However, I have lived in the 'burbs for 17 years. I have visited Chicago's premier burbs such as Highland Park and I must say, I prefer Detroit's though I prefer the core city of Chicago to Detroit. The burbs here are prettier, more treed, hilly, and if you move north in Oakland County, full of truly beautiful, spectacular lakes. The housing market is cheap now, so what you can get here is much, much cheaper than in Chicagoland with better looking acreage. I say go for it if you have stable employment. The suburbs are the same everywhere, pretty much.
If you check out places further west in Lake County, like the Barrington area, Lake Zurch, Wauconda, Chain O' Lakes, you can find similar looking areas. They are just off the radar for people who focus on Chicago itself. Whereas in metro Detroit, Oakland County IS "where its at"

Old 03-27-2011, 01:47 PM

201 posts, read 829,005 times
I'm quite familiar with the hillier areas outside of Chicago, problem is they are far removed from the business parks I'll visit for work. Staying here would mean oak brook, Naperville, etc, suburbs near office buildings. Michigan however has offices, in the nice areas, which is why we are pursuing the move

Old 03-28-2011, 08:57 AM

Quote:
I'm quite familiar with the hillier areas outside of Chicago, problem is they are far removed from the business parks I'll visit for work. Staying here would mean oak brook, Naperville, etc, suburbs near office buildings. Michigan however has offices, in the nice areas, which is why we are pursuing the move
Yes, this is very true. As Oakland County is more of the "center of the action" than the equivalent Chicago burbs, you can enjoy a bit more pretty suburbs while not being as far from amenities and attractions. Birmingham would be your best bet I think if you are looking for a walkable downtown.

Also, I apologize if it sounded like I was talking down to you. Hopefully you didn't take it that way.

Old 03-28-2011, 03:38 PM

201 posts, read 829,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Yes, this is very true. As Oakland County is more of the "center of the action" than the equivalent Chicago burbs, you can enjoy a bit more pretty suburbs while not being as far from amenities and attractions. Birmingham would be your best bet I think if you are looking for a walkable downtown.

Also, I apologize if it sounded like I was talking down to you. Hopefully you didn't take it that way.
no offense taken, just pointing out i had explored that option but until Barrington turns into a major commercial hub, won't work for us!

I'm a bit worried about the budget. While we can afford a more expensive home (~$1M), I don't feel comforable making a purchase of that size in an unpredictable market. if the market caves another 20%, thats $200k of exposure, while the $4-600k homes would cut that in half. what is a reasonable expectation level on price, for a home in Birmingham walking distance to everything? are there younger families in Birmingham? not to sound arrogant, but we have a pretty good income for our age, so I don't want to be bunked up with a bunch of 50 y/o's, at the same time don't want to be with a bunch of late 20 early 30 y/o's that are not settled in yet.

Old 03-28-2011, 05:44 PM

Quote:
no offense taken, just pointing out i had explored that option but until Barrington turns into a major commercial hub, won't work for us!

I'm a bit worried about the budget. While we can afford a more expensive home (~$1M), I don't feel comforable making a purchase of that size in an unpredictable market. if the market caves another 20%, thats $200k of exposure, while the $4-600k homes would cut that in half. what is a reasonable expectation level on price, for a home in Birmingham walking distance to everything? are there younger families in Birmingham? not to sound arrogant, but we have a pretty good income for our age, so I don't want to be bunked up with a bunch of 50 y/o's, at the same time don't want to be with a bunch of late 20 early 30 y/o's that are not settled in yet.
Yes, there are lots of younger families in Birmingham. You will have no problem there. You will find all age groups in Birmingham. I just drove through there last time I was in the area which wasn't too long ago, and it is a great suburban downtown. On par with Napervilles downtown, but maybe even a bit more lively.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit